1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Aug 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

This is a ridiculous statement.

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

indeed. and a wonderful world at that. well, the clothing that is. based on the size i feel like a moderate sized woman.

quality service from NMWA making up for the piss poor service, if you can even call it that, of the usps. i am so glad NMWA uses ups.

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are cases when it can make sense to look one place and buy from another.

But I can't condone the showrooming phenomenon that, for example, Amazon seems to try to promote. That has to be pretty dispiriting from a business owner's perspective.

Of course, you should be able to go into a store with the intent of browsing. Just not for examining the goods with the already formed intent to buy elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Just picked up a package from NMWA...All I can say is that my sincere sympathies go out to those of you sizes 38-44 who missed out on the Loro Piana Mackintosh Monkton.

2 people like this.
  5. in stitches

I have to agree with Frank. I don't think it matters if you were doing it with an Internet website or brick-and-mortar store, if you're taking advantage of somebody it's wrong.

If you're giving them a fair shake at buying from them that's one thing, but if you have no intention of doing so whatsoever, that's when it would be an unscrupulous thing to do.

6. FrankCowperwood

There have been some times when I wanted to, was trying to buy something from a store and it was as if they didn't want to sell me anything. That's their problem then. But I think it is another reason why NMWA has such an accommodating shipping and return policy: they actually want us to buy stuff. So they make it easy!

Unless you want a half size in Butteros. Then they're no help.

(I kid. Couldn't resist... [​IMG])

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. razl

razl Well-Known Member

They're called retailers for a reason; primarily because nobody has figured yet how to profit from the "open a store, stock products, hire workers and salespeople, to provide a free 'try on as much as you like but please go somewhere else and buy it!' " business model. If you've figured it out, I've got plenty of retailers to send you all the customers you can handle.

8. sprout2

What if we serve $8 cocktails?

9. in stitches

Can people try the cocktails before they have to buy them though?

:p

10. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

The NMWA approach to the market sort of requires a liberal exchange policy for the simple reason that they are bringing many new and previously unavailable products to the market. For all my time on Style Forum I was not familiar with brands like Inglese, Mazzarelli, Pedaled, Esemplare, TS(S) or had a chance to experience others like Formosa, Camoshita or Stephen Schnedier. It is not crazy to think that some people might need to tweak what fits, determine what they like, etc. Fortunately, I will have a chance to swing by the showroom next Sunday and acquaint myself with some of these items but not everyone can fly in to try on some clothes. To me it's just the cost of doing business over the internet. Frankly, whatever the expense, I can only imagine what the overhead would be if NMWA had instead opened up a boutique on Madison Ave. If some people choose to abuse the system NMWA can always refuse to sell to them.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

You bought all sizes 38 through 44 just to try on?

4 people like this.
  12. sprout2

No. No free refills, either. What do you think this is, Denny's?

Here is the plan:

1. Buy clothes for the season, say a sampling from major makers' lookbooks
    2. Rent showroom & hang items
    3. Charge a cover charge & serve cocktails, play stupid music
    4. Dust off threads, collect money
    5. Boom: your new clothes just paid for themselves

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

All I got was the 42...some other fortunate souls seem to have gotten the others, as they're sold out on the site. Only 36 and 46 left.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be honest : I don't know why people buy from online shops that do not offer them free returns on full-price merchandise. If you cannot see it, touch it or try it on, then why would you pay full price for something that you are not 100% sure of and won't be able to return if it doesn't work? I know that some very successful stores just don't allow it - no refunds - but I struggle to understand why people give them business.

It's not (as mentioned by someone) that we make so much money that we couldn't care about shipping costs. We've shipped big boxes across the country to the West coast and back, and then again... that's a lot of $ for Mr UPS... We're not masochists here - we're HOPING that the way we photograph, represent and measure the items in a way that reduces the risk of misjudging size, BUT if there's still an issue, we want to give our customers the opportunity to exchange or return and come back for something they will truly be satisfied with.

There are always people who abuse the perks - we do have a short list of serial returners, people who've bought 8 or 9 times and have never or once kept an item. I don't know if they realize that they cost us a lot of money but they do. We haven't banned anyone yet but it's possible that we'll have to come to that. I know many other stores do.

In the mean time, let's keep on doing what we're doing on the free shipping front and hope that - in aggregate - this will only encourage people to try and see those things they like on their computer screens.

7 people like this.
  15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

8 or 9 returns without buying!? Jeez! I thought I was being a dick by asking for shipping prices to UK then not buying!

16. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Wow, that's crazy! I know I'm small time compared to a lot of people here, but out of 8 orders I had 2 free exchanges (for size, Heschung & Vass) but no actual returns. Having to absorb 8 or 9 shipping charges both ways, ouch!

17. FrankCowperwood

I'm sure NMWA has shipping rates better than UPS quotes individuals but, I'd guess that could be several hundred dollars worth of shipping for no sale.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

• INIS MEAIN SPECIAL TRUNK SHOW MTO •

[​IMG]

Here's what Tarlach, Michal and NoMan have concocted for you guys. The basics : 5 styles, 3 yarn color cards ; not all styles can be made with all yarns.

THE STYLES

In the order pictured (or not) :

1. linen pub jacket : ONLY available in solid linen yarns (there are many - we have "Ardee" Navy and "Cloch" grey made up and they are both awesome) -- $485
      https://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/inis-meain-spring-mto-linen-pub-jacket-deposit.html
    2. birdseye cotton/cashmere with linen stitch : same cut that we have in store now but different colors - only use the linen-stitch color card for those -- $465
      https://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/inis-meain-spring-mto-birdseye-cotton-cashmere-sweater-with-linen-stitch-deposit.html
    3. linen crewneck : same cut as what we currently have in store but available in solid linen colors and the three donegal linen colors that are still available for us -- $395
      https://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/inis-meain-spring-mto-linen-crewneck-sweater-deposit.html
    4. linen v-neck : same as above but V-neck... -- $395
      https://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/inis-meain-spring-mto-linen-v-neck-sweater-deposit.html
    5. linen full-zip : full-zip cardigan in solid or donegal linen -- $465
      https://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/inis-meain-spring-mto-linen-full-zip-cardigan-deposit.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE COLOR CARDS - click to really see

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is 230 donegal linen made-up (amazing)

[​IMG]

HOW TO ORDER

Items are set up online for the 50% deposit required for these orders. Links to the 5 online items are posted above in the styles descriptions - people who cannot attend the trunk show can order online simply by checking out with that item (50% deposit) and indicating in the "Gift Message" box which color they picked and which size they need.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

that's promising . . . . ( speak of the devil )

20. razl

razl Well-Known Member

In. Sta. Ban.

Instaban.

2 people like this.