1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Aug 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

So what size did you end up going with out of interest?

And the Big John talk has led me to dig my pair out... Not that much to look at really... No sick fadz. Though I think I do see something happening on one of the knees.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    4 people like this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I bought a 33. After two evenings of wearing them just around my apartment the legs have softened up and stretched considerably. The waist still needs a bit of work, which is typical for me because I have disproportionally skinny legs for my waist size. I'm hoping that the legs don't stretch much more, but as Greg pointed out if they aren't stressed as much they will stretch less. I'm leaning on that for now. Actually it might make me look more proportioned now that I think about it.

The only thing I don't like is the leather patch on the back that stands out like a billboard. I think I might try and dye it black.

3. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

"disproportionally skinny legs for my waist size"

That's got to be the most elegant way to circumvent saying 'I'm fat', I've ever heard. LOL.
    Don't get me wrong, same applies to me at the end of this winter.

1 person likes this.
  4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Last day for Eidos pre-orders

Fabric options:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sal sizing:

[​IMG]

PART 6 : OVERCOATS

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All in the Palermo single-breasted style (wider arc lapels), except for the camel color alpaca/wool which will be in Ulster style

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Down-filled parka
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

ORDERS CLOSE ON FRIDAY 2/17 @ MIDNIGHT E.T.

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

So you were right about the size you needed then as I recall. That's good.

Fabric definitely softens up nicely with wear.

It's funny, if I have one complaint about Big John it's the selvedge detail on the coin pocket. It's one of those things that seems unnecessary to me. Similar feeling about that as you have about the patch I guess. I do like the patch leather (better than jeans that have to put a super thick piece back there), but it is most definitely not tonal.

6. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

That's downsize 2 (waist)?

7. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Well-Known Member

Gents, need a fit check on my NR Bumfreezer. Really wanted the green hopsack so took a chance on a small (med sold out) when I'm generally a 38/M. Feels fine when worn open but it's constricted in the chest when zipped up over a flannel (pictured). Likely the thickest I'd layer underneath. You think I need a M?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Looks great, would not size up

1 person likes this.
  9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

1. you wear your belt on top of it so it's barely a piece of background behind the belt
    2. it darkens with wear and wash

10. baltimoron

baltimoron Well-Known Member

looks pretty good to me

11. patrickBOOTH

I dunno I'm 6'1" and 180. Still down over 100 pounds from my heaviest.

4 people like this.
  12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Same. If it's not uncomfortable and you likely won't be layering anything heavier under it, I think you're good. Looks very good in those pics.

13. patrickBOOTH

I thought i needed a 32? I don't remember what I wrote. I'm happy with what I got though. It is funny though because I like the selvedge coin pocket. It's subtle enough.

May be an odd thing to like, and it's something that has brought back a ton of memories but the smell of them is fantastic. Why is it Japanese denim has a distinct smell?
    Not sure what my actual waist size is too be honest. I can measure later though. Gulp.

I actually tried on a belt at the studio and I thought it looked weird with a belt. I think no belt looks better for some reason, at least with black jeans.

1 person likes this.
  14. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

Respect! That must have required some serious iron will power which I wish I can muster myself some time.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

That was my reaction as well. I thought he lives and sleeps in a solid charcoal suit with a white shirt and a grenadine tie.

18. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

you can also remove a patch with a seam ripper in about 10 seconds.

19. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

IT'S TIME

It's been a long time coming, but pre-orders for our special re-issue of the Frank Leder FW15 Great Coat are now live. As always, a little bit to unpack but I'll lay it all out here. This project is a bit dear to me as I have one of the original ones and it has been my favorite fall and winter coat for the past few years, and anybody that spends time with me can attest to that.

When we approached Frank with the idea, he was more than thrilled and immediately set out to find a few fabrics that he felt would suit the coat and do it justice. All three come from the oldest wool maker in Germany, a factory based in Bavaria. All three carry that same "plush" feel of the original version, just in new colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first is the plushest of them all, and is a 700gsm double-faced one in a sort of mixed taupe. This is the closest to the original coat, but is lighter in color and with no green in it - the color in the very first photo is accurate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second is for those that want to capture the green-ness of the first coat. It's a 500gsm wool flannel, also quite plush but not as spongy as the taupe one. It's a rich forest green and again, the top photo is most accurate in color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third is actually the opposite side of the green one, and is a rich navy blue. Same 500gsm of course, and I'd like to note that with the construction of the coat, even though these wools are double-faced you won't see the opposite color in any part of it. The color is a true navy, and not quite as inky blue as the photos now that I look at them again.

As for the coat, it's a classic double-breasted great-coat style, with a modern length that falls mid-thigh. The collar is strong enough to stay up and looks great that way, but can always be worn down in a more classic DB style. It's fully lined in cotton, and in typical Leder fashion, this means shirting fabrics from that current season (so I can't predict what the exact lining will be on these, but I can assure you it will be nice). The sleeves do not have a buttoned cuff but rather a small slit in them that goes maybe 3 inches up, but are still fully fashioned and stitched appropriately to the lining.

Everything else you need to know:

Order deadline is a week from today, so Friday, February 24th.

Measurements are up on the item page, excluding size XL but that can be easily extrapolated. Sizes available are XS - XL. I wear a size S, my typical size, and my typical Frank Leder size as well.

The retail price is $765, or $612 after our 20% discount with code PREORDER. 50% is due now, with 50% due upon receipt of the coats in the fall.

Pre-order page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  20. d4nimal

d4nimal Well-Known Member

My guess is it's the indigo. When I went to Japan last winter we started to recognize the Blue Blue Japan store by the smell.

Congrats on the weight loss, btw. That's incredible. How much of your wardrobe became unwearable in the transition?