• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTC Socks and Wool Trousers -- They Stick

Bsquared

Reaction score
How do you prevent cotton OTC socks from catching wool trousers at the calf? I am guessing there is really no way to prevent this. Does this happen with wool OTC as well?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting you have this problem, but mine is more often from a wool-wool interaction. I find that wearing cotton OTC socks cuts down on sticking.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are not alone. I have the same issue. Would love it if anybody out there has encountered the issue and found a remedy.

On a side note, perhaps we could start a support group to help us deal with the emotional strain of having our socks catch on our trou.
happy.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get your trousers made out of decent material that actually drapes. Tissue paper cloths stick. So stick the tissue paper cloths instead.

Say no to girly cloths:

poulinsuitweightxn8.jpg

Note that in 1952 Poulin recommends 14 Oz as year round wear, and anything lighter ie 12-13 Oz only for women's clothing. Most modern RTW stuff is about 9-10 Oz! And you wonder why the hem sticks to your socks and crawls up your legs.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Cuffs also help.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have your trousers lined down to the cuffs.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Have your trousers lined down to the cuffs.

Then they'll be less comfortable in warm weather. My trousers are all unlined, and they don't stick to my socks. I think cuffs do the trick.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Get your trousers made out of decent material that actually drapes. Tissue paper cloths stick. So stick the tissue paper cloths instead.

The worst offending trousers I have are pure camel hair in a weight that would satisfy even you. The problem is actually static from the heavy woolens rubbing together in -20C air with 12% humidity. In this case your suggestion would likely only worsen the problem.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually kinda like it.

If I have pants with a wee bit too much break than I would prefer, I'll wear OTC's. The socks tend to catch the pants and naturally keep them at the length I want. ymmv, of course.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This never happened to me. Do you all have huge muscular calves?

kryn13

Reaction score
Only happens with my flannel pants. And of course it's flannel pant season. I'll join the support group.
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Yes

Bsquared

Reaction score
Interesting comments,thanks. I have this problem on trousers with 2 inch cuffs, so I do not think cuffs alone will solve the problem. Perhaps heavier weight material would help, but I live in central florida where heat and humidity are smothering in a suit. Still hoping for a different option/suggestion . . .

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator

Say no to girly cloths:

poulinsuitweightxn8.jpg

Note that in 1952 Poulin recommends 14 Oz as year round wear, and anything lighter ie 12-13 Oz only for women's clothing. Most modern RTW stuff is about 9-10 Oz! And you wonder why the hem sticks to your socks and crawls up your legs.

Oh, well then that settles it. I'll just toss the whole lot, summon the crown tailor, and commission a new wardrobe.
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness as I acquire new pieces in the future I will take this into consideration.

Originally Posted by PocketCircle

Very.

Originally Posted by kryn13
Only happens with my flannel pants. And of course it's flannel pant season.

I'll join the support group.

Ditto on the flannel pants. It does seem to make it worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads