or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Hondas SUCK!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hondas SUCK! - Page 2

post #16 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofuh View Post
Several years ago there was a suit filed by an owner of Acura TL whose gearbox kicked down to 2nd gear while he was doing 80MPH on a highway. You do your math from here

That's what happened to my car when the transmission blew. I was on the highway but was only going about 45-50 at the time. It could have been worse. Second was the only working gear. I drove it right to the dealership because it was only a few miles away.
post #17 of 76
Looks like Toyota is offering the biggest discounts this week.
post #18 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWoah View Post
2006 - HVAC and Radio die because of electrical defect. Over 36K mile warranty, so I have to eat 50% of the cost. They covered the rest.

[/rant]

My parents have a 02 honda accord...the car has had no problems except the radio just died suddenly a few weeks ago. What exactly went wrong with yours? The radio/CD player in my parents car still gets power (the backlite LED still works) but just doesn't work. Can I replace the HU or will I have to take it to Honda??

Oh yah, they're transmissions suck for anything beyond the Inline 4...I had a 03 Acura TL...transmission blew from the rigerious 30minute journey between my home and office.
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by micbain View Post
Oh yah, they're transmissions suck for anything beyond the Inline 4...I had a 03 Acura TL...transmission blew from the rigerious 30minute journey between my home and office.

My uncle has an Acura of similar vintage he needed a transmission too. I forget the mileage though. He, however, is a dyed-in-the-wool Acura guy (to the degree that he buys his wife a nicer car than he has).
post #20 of 76
I had a 98 Honda Accord that I bought from my cousin and the transmission went out at 88K miles. Apparently, there were problems with the 98-99 models with e transmission. I called to complain and they reimbursed me half of the the cost of the new tranny since I brought to an outside shop. A year later, that fixed tranny went out and got a rebuilt one installed then the cylinder cracked soon after. I sold it.


I got a 09 Civic now with a 6 year 80k mile warranty. I was going to get a Corolla but the styling was just too plain for me so I got the Civic instead.

My first car was a 90 Corolla with no problems but sold it after120k miles on it. Hope I made the right choice.
post #21 of 76
We've owned 5 Hndas the last 20 years and have had ZERO issues. The wife currently has an Element that has been flawless teh first two years.

I had and 81 Civic and a 91 Si that both went to north of 250k on the original timing belts(!).

Looks like you've just had an unfortunate coincidence.
post #22 of 76
Joe Woah,

Don't you know that anything with an engine or tits is going to cause you problems no matter what?
post #23 of 76
Built a turbo honda civic back in 99 with 350hp. Swear I could beat on it all day and never had an issue with it. Put 146k miles on it. In all that time only thing that broke was the distributor once. I am still in amazement of just how solid that car was. Doubt I will ever own a car that reliable again.

Sounds like the quality has gone down. Worst of all you got me worried. I got a 2006 accord with 20k miles on it. Hope we don't have any issues with it. SO far so good but it did need a new battery after 15k miles.
post #24 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by micbain View Post
My parents have a 02 honda accord...the car has had no problems except the radio just died suddenly a few weeks ago. What exactly went wrong with yours? The radio/CD player in my parents car still gets power (the backlite LED still works) but just doesn't work. Can I replace the HU or will I have to take it to Honda?? Oh yah, they're transmissions suck for anything beyond the Inline 4...I had a 03 Acura TL...transmission blew from the rigerious 30minute journey between my home and office.
Mine was an electrical issue, not just the unit. The radio worked but the lights went out (so you couldn't actually see anything) as did the HVAC control unit (not just the lights). I had to get a new unit and there were some control parts back there that, apparently, had moisture issues. AKA: improper seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
Joe Woah, Don't you know that anything with an engine or tits is going to cause you problems no matter what?
I know a little bit about cars. This was the car I had before the Honda, she was anything but stock, except for the Transmission and I never had a problem: "Corvette, om nom nom." My main issue was that my car was impeccably maintained and had ridiculously low mileage. I anticipated the transmission problem after the jet kit install so I did transmission fluid changes every year and installed a B&M transmission cooler. If they stood by the car, they could have really impressed me. Despite the problems I probably would have bought an '08 Accord had they shown me something. In this market, you'd think they'd want to retain customers, not piss them off and force them to run though hoops. Way to go Honda! I can not recommend buying a Honda, nor will I, for the rest of my days. Insult to injury: the heat doesn't work now!!! I fucking hate this car with a burning passion!
post #25 of 76
Did you know that brits think VWs are reliable?
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWoah View Post
Insult to injury: the heat doesn't work now!!! I fucking hate this car with a burning passion!
Air in the cooling system? Leaking heater core?

If the former, pretty easy fix. Just have to bleed the system.
post #27 of 76
Just to give Honda a lil' bit of credit....

I purchased a 98 Civic in 2000 or 2001 and it had about 50,000 miles on it. I treated it like absolute shit and it held up like a rock. I tinkered with the engine doing all the stupid stuff that kids did to rice burners back then - replaced the air intake, messed with the tranny and shocks, messed with the electrical system to a level that can be considered dangerous and I frequently went longer than 10,000 miles without oil changes.

I've got to say it took my abuse really well. I never had any major engine or tranny issues and maintenance was cheap because everyone works on them. I sold it several years later at about 130,000 miles and it was still running (not for long, but still running) - and I think I still got a couple thousand trade in for it!
post #28 of 76
My dad has an 04 civic si. bought it new, and has had no problems with it. I stand to inherit it in 5 months. I don't know anything about cars, but it seems okay. Its a stick, and it is a challenge to get it to stall. I even can release the clutch fully before I step on the gas and it works sometimes.
post #29 of 76
I used to work for Honda and I can assure you that they most definitely do not suck....sure there are lemons that come through just like any other manufacturer.....but then again look at how many cars actually have significant problems out of the entire lot produced in any given year. I don't have hard data to back it up but from my experience Honda is pretty low on the percentage of vehicles that have issues like yours does. Being a Honda owner myself and having many friends with Hondas, experience has shown me personally that Honda reliability far exceeds that of other manufacturers in the price range.
post #30 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolePosition View Post
I used to work for Honda and I can assure you that they most definitely do not suck....sure there are lemons that come through just like any other manufacturer.....but then again look at how many cars actually have significant problems out of the entire lot produced in any given year. I don't have hard data to back it up but from my experience Honda is pretty low on the percentage of vehicles that have issues like yours does. Being a Honda owner myself and having many friends with Hondas, experience has shown me personally that Honda reliability far exceeds that of other manufacturers in the price range.

I could accept that more if they were willing to STAND behind their cars. These are known issues with TSB's and recalls on them. The fact that they don't speaks volumes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Hondas SUCK!