or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Hondas SUCK!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hondas SUCK!

post #1 of 76
Thread Starter 
As the title says, Hondas suck.

2003 - I buy my first brand new car, an '03 Honda Accord V6. I should have known better to buy a first-year model (first year for the Gen. 7).

2004 - Honda recalls the transmission because of design defect. If you have over 20K miles at that time, you get a new transmission, if not, you get a lubrication kit. I get the kit.

2006 - HVAC and Radio die because of electrical defect. Over 36K mile warranty, so I have to eat 50% of the cost. They covered the rest.

Late (Nov.) 2008 - Transmission failure at 59K miles. Who didn't see that coming? Honda covered most of the cost but I had to pay a $1,000 deductible.

This Friday - 2009 - The new transmission blows!!

I hate Hondas. I thought these things were made to last forever? Screw that! I had a used Ford TBird (it was sweet) before buying the Accord and it never had a problem.

Don't buy Hondas

[/rant]
post #2 of 76
What is this SUCK that Honda possesses?
post #3 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
What is this SUCK that Honda possesses?

Producing shit cars with massive failures and not standing behind them. I shouldn't have to deal with this stuff and certainly not with a Honda. I shouldn't have to pay a dime out of pocket for their known design flaws. I shouldn't have to take time out of work to handle the situation. I shouldn't have to call Honda North America begging for them to pay something towards repairs.

I wasn't going to buy a new car this year but I don't intend to hand Honda another penny.
post #4 of 76
GM isn't any better. I'll NEVER buy another American car again. Japenese all the way. Give me a Toyota. Although the German's make a nice car too. A Benz would be nice when the time comes. But no V-dubs!
post #5 of 76
I've owned two Honda's (one for 8 years and one for 4) that never needed anything but gas and tires. The tuneups were a bargain compared to my German cars.

You had a very bad experience, but that does not apply to all Hondas.
post #6 of 76
I can't agree as one of my first cars when I left college was a 1991 Accord and it was magnificent and only depreciated $500 a year before I sold almost exactly two years later.
post #7 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWoah View Post
Producing shit cars with massive failures and not standing behind them. I shouldn't have to deal with this stuff and certainly not with a Honda. I shouldn't have to pay a dime out of pocket for their known design flaws. I shouldn't have to take time out of work to handle the situation. I shouldn't have to call Honda North America begging for them to pay something towards repairs. I wasn't going to buy a new car this year but I don't intend to hand Honda another penny.
Erm...the point of that post up there was that you have wacky apostrophe use. It's just 'Hondas Suck!' no apostrophe required. Sorry about your car though, losing a trans at < 100k miles is pretty unforgivable in my book. My father's '01 Grand Am has 227k on it now and the trans has never given so much as a whisper of trouble. I'm too quick to malign GM on reliability sometimes, but that's pretty good. However, it really doesn't matter as every maker has isolated incidents of good and bad products. I am critical of Honda for not standing by their product more aggressively, however.
post #8 of 76
Thread Starter 
I'm looking at an Infiniti G37x. They're well built, high quality cars. They're much more reliable than it's German counterparts (BMW 3) by thousands of miles with much lower maintenance costs. Resale is decent, but nothing is good right now. They're also super cheap in this market to purchase, Infiniti is making deals that BMW dealers are not willing to match (yet).

Aside from the practical stuff, they look great and drive with like a sport luxury vehicle should, albeit a bit too stiff suspension wise (my dad's '08 G37). I like the M35x better, but I think it's been out too long ('05) and needs a refresh.

Those of you that are my Facebook friends know that I discovered how an M35x drives on black ice Christmas night.
post #9 of 76
That's what you get for not buying American! You should have purchased a Toyota, they're built to last.
post #10 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Erm...the point of that post up there was that you have wacky apostrophe use. It's just 'Hondas Suck!' no apostrophe required. Sorry about your car though, losing a trans at < 100k miles is pretty unforgivable in my book. My father's '01 Grand Am has 227k on it now and the trans has never given so much as a whisper of trouble. I'm too quick to malign GM on reliability sometimes, but that's pretty good. However, it really doesn't matter as every maker has isolated incidents of good and bad products. I am critical of Honda for not standing by their product more aggressively, however.
I have an autocorrect greasemonkey script that sometimes does stuff like that. Great time saver though. For whatever reason Hondas is wrong to it. I know that my problem shouldn't be a black mark on all Hondas, their preceding reputation is one reason I bought a Honda. However, this is far from an isolated incident. Tons of Hondas from '03 +, not just Accords, have reported electrical, transmission and major engine problems. Quality control seems almost none existent at Honda these days. I would have been better off with a Hyundai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce9241 View Post
That's what you get for not buying American! You should have purchased a Toyota, they're built to last.
My Honda was made in America. I looked at Camry's, they hadn't had a revision in some time when I was in the market for a new car and you could feel it. It wasn't until '04 or '05 that it had a major revision. The Altima had a major revision in '02 but was the "hot" car at the time and Nissan wasn't matching the deals Honda was making. The difference between a comparably equipped V6 Accord was $5K. The Mazda 6 had just come out in '03 too. It was a nice car but seeing how the 626 was absolute crap and it was their comeback car, I was skittish on the quality. As for American companies, not one company had a car in the $18K-$24K price range that was as good as it's foreign counterparts. Mustang was the only car that came close but it hadn't had a revision since '99, was underpowered in GT trim, bad on gas and worse on insurance.
post #11 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce9241 View Post
That's what you get for not buying American!

My standard response, as told by Steven Landsberg: The Iowa Car Crop
post #12 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekonomist View Post
My standard response, as told by Steven Landsberg: The Iowa Car Crop

Freshman year of college one of my economics profs brought that argument up to teach us the basics of economies of scale and whatnot.
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWoah View Post
As the title says, Hondas suck. 2003 - I buy my first brand new car, an '03 Honda Accord V6. I should have known better to buy a first-year model (first year for the Gen. 7). 2004 - Honda recalls the transmission because of design defect. If you have over 20K miles at that time, you get a new transmission, if not, you get a lubrication kit. I get the kit. 2006 - HVAC and Radio die because of electrical defect. Over 36K mile warranty, so I have to eat 50% of the cost. They covered the rest. Late (Nov.) 2008 - Transmission failure at 59K miles. Who didn't see that coming? Honda covered most of the cost but I had to pay a $1,000 deductible. This Friday - 2009 - The new transmission blows!! I hate Hondas. I thought these things were made to last forever? Screw that! I had a used Ford TBird (it was sweet) before buying the Accord and it never had a problem. Don't buy Hondas [/rant]
That one transmission is kind of famous for being broken. Note that Honda has only two transmissions known not to work (the other being the 06-08 Si transmission, which was fixed with a TSB). Honda's not perfect, but if you think this kind of thing couldn't happen (and happen considerably more often) with just about any other car manufacturer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWoah View Post
I would have been better off with a Hyundai.
lolwut
post #14 of 76
Joe, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Sucks no matter the make.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Hondas. I put nearly 190,000 miles on my first and about 150,000 on my second. My wife's car (the only one we own now) is still running fine at nearly 170,000 miles. Our next car will most likely be a Honda too.

b
post #15 of 76
Honda's bad grearboxes are notorious. Though not all of them.
I forget which model is used by their OH plant, but none of the people who bought Japanese-assembled Acuras ever complained in my presense about a bad transmission experience.
Several years ago there was a suit filed by an owner of Acura TL whose gearbox kicked down to 2nd gear while he was doing 80MPH on a highway. You do your math from here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Hondas SUCK!