or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Stop gym clothes from smelling?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stop gym clothes from smelling?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
With my recent return to the gym comes a return of a long-standing problem - my clothes stink!!

I'm too lazy to hand-wash them after every session so I've tried hanging them to dry in the bathroom on hangers (rather than throwing them in a wet pile to "simmer") and then washing my workout stuff at the end of the week. I thought this would work but as soon as I got back into the gym and broke a sweat, I started smelling my clothing.

Previously, I used to keep my gym clothes in a bucket soaking with a cup of vinegar and then wash them when I was ready. This actually worked fairly well although they'd maintain a bit of the vinegar smell. My gym stuff is cheap Champion C9 stuff from Target with a couple Walmart Starter line thrown in for good measure so don't care too much about any damage the weak acid will do over time.

Other options would be OxyClean or baking soda though I have yet to try either.

What do you guys do to prevent this issue?
post #2 of 21
Same problem. Honestly? I spray febreze on them. This is just to keep the stench down until laundry time, and is not really a way to preserve them through another workout.

When I'm travelling, however I wash my stuff in the hotel bathroom sink after each workout (this was discussed in a previous thread). I learned the hard way after tossing some still-moist workout stuff acumulated through a week away in a plastic bag. When I opened it up after I got home, it was one of the worst smells I've ever encountered
post #3 of 21
Buy more shorts and t-shirts.
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
Buy more shorts and t-shirts.

They're actually new clothes as when I moved, I didn't bring my gym stuff with me.
post #5 of 21
What the fuck is wrong with you? I work out 6 times a week and sweat like an animal. It all goes into the laundry hamper and quite honestly it doesn't smell. I don't get why some people smell so bad at the gym. I sweat unbelievably when on the treadmill running at 10-12 MPH but I certainly don't start stinking. What do you people eat?

Also, different set of clothes for every workout. Whoever wears something to workout more than once is disgusting.
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
What the fuck is wrong with you? I work out 6 times a week and sweat like an animal. It all goes into the laundry hamper and quite honestly it doesn't smell. I don't get why some people smell so bad at the gym. I sweat unbelievably when on the treadmill running at 10-12 MPH but I certainly don't start stinking. What do you people eat?

I don't know. Maybe we're colonized with different skin flora, have different body chemistries, etc.

I used to eat a lot of garlic but haven't eaten much at all recently so I can rule that out.

Quote:
Also, different set of clothes for every workout. Whoever wears something to workout more than once is disgusting.

+1

I knew a guy in college who'd leave his clothes in a locker and wear them over and over again. Nasty.

I also know a med student (different school but we did some rotations together) who wears the same scrubs over and over without washing them. He once wore them every day for two weeks. He sees nothing wrong with this despite the fact I told him it's effing nasty and unhygienic.
post #7 of 21
When I was in college, my 2nd year roomate was a very nice guy. He worked his ass off to get in and was on scholarship for every last penny and he really liked the stay in shape. Unfortunately, the guy fucking smelled of a donkey when he excercised. I fixed this by just telling him he should swim. So, the guy swam laps 7 times a week, stayed in great shape, and didn't fucking smell when he came back (and neither did his clothes).
post #8 of 21
Change the shirt and wash the shorts at the end of the week. Thin nylon doesn't really absorb well so it shouldn't smell all that bad.
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerFormula View Post
Change the shirt and wash the shorts at the end of the week. Thin nylon doesn't really absorb well so it shouldn't smell all that bad.

In case it wasn't clear, I am wearing clean clothes each time.

Anyway, I bought a bucket and I'm soaking the stuff in there with some baking soda to see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I'll resort to vinegar again.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
In case it wasn't clear, I am wearing clean clothes each time.

Anyway, I bought a bucket and I'm soaking the stuff in there with some baking soda to see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I'll resort to vinegar again.

then if you're doing that just throw them in the washer and let them sit there until you wash.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Apartment building. Laundry in the basement. Don't think they other tenants would appreciate it.
post #12 of 21
we do laundry every day.
post #13 of 21
Try powdered laundry detergent instead of liquid, esp Arm & Hammer brand (cheap at target). Don't use unscented detergent... the scent will cover up the odor. If you're washing after each workout, you might want to try cotton t-shirt instead? Synthetic stuff is known to hold a stink after repeated use. Do you put synthetic stuff in the dryer? Try air drying instead.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
Apartment building. Laundry in the basement. Don't think they other tenants would appreciate it.

Seriously if your laundry clothes smell too bad to let them sit around for a couple of days you have a problem.
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta View Post
Try powdered laundry detergent instead of liquid, esp Arm & Hammer brand (cheap at target). Don't use unscented detergent... the scent will cover up the odor.

I've been using Kirkland liquid stuff from Costco. Almost out and recently bought some Tide unscented liquid. If soaking the stuff in baking soda doesn't work, I'll give the Arm and Hammer powder instead. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
If you're washing after each workout, you might want to try cotton t-shirt instead? Synthetic stuff is known to hold a stink after repeated use.

Didn't know that about synthetics. I prefer them to cotton though as they don't get soaked/damp during my workout. I wash once/week.

Quote:
Do you put synthetic stuff in the dryer? Try air drying instead.

I don't put any of my clothes in the dryer since joining SF; just towels/bedding.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

Right now I'm waiting to see how my baking soda experiment will turn out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Stop gym clothes from smelling?