• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DaveFromGA

Reaction score
I used to think that Levi's 501s and 505s were the same thing aside from the fly (501s having a button fly, and 505s having a zipper). But after looking more closely, I get the impression that 501s fit differently from 505s. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I've never had 501s before -- always 505s. But I'd like to switch to 501s. How is their fit different, if at all?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
The legs on the 501 taper a slight bit. The 505's are a 'straight leg' jean, where as 501's are just 501's.

The fit of each has changed dramatically over the years, but thats the basic differences IMO.

sayocean

Reaction score
with the LVC line though, the 501 is the slim straight cut whereas the 505 might even be slimmer and tapers noticeably to the hem from the knees.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the only difference is the fly tho

allcapitan

Reaction score
So the 505 is a straight leg like the 514 but with a regular fit and regular rise?

sayocean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
the only difference is the fly tho

And the taper. The taper is more pronounced on the LVC 505s vs the crap you find at macys. LVC 505s actually look like a skinny jean

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sayocean
And the taper. The taper is more pronounced on the LVC 505s vs the crap you find at macys. LVC 505s actually look like a skinny jean

no...

sayocean

Reaction score
yes...... I've owned both cuts in the LVC offering in same exact size and length. 29x32 for 67505, 29x34 for 47501. Aside from the obvious zip fly, the 505s had an obvious taper. And I know it wasn't a mistake, two buddies of mine also own the 505s and to say they aren't a skinny cut is a lie. Maybe you're referring to the sub 50 dollar macys/jcpennies variety. Those dont taper much, if any anymore but they still have more (however slight it may be) taper than 501s.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sayocean
yes...... I've owned both cuts in the LVC offering in same exact size and length. 29x32 for 67505, 29x34 for 47501. Aside from the obvious zip fly, the 505s had an obvious taper. And I know it wasn't a mistake, two buddies of mine also own the 505s and to say they aren't a skinny cut is a lie. Maybe you're referring to the sub 50 dollar macys/jcpennies variety. Those dont taper much, if any anymore but they still have more (however slight it may be) taper than 501s.

The OP was.

Thanks for weighing in.
sarcasm.gif

sayocean

Reaction score
regardless, the very slight taper is still there. Most people get hung up on the fact that the zipper replaces the button fly and tend to forget about the taper

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
no...

you're an annoying ****. how do you have 2700 posts and why aren't you banned? you're wasteful eventhough you don't take up space.

Eagle

Reaction score
I think they are supposed to fit the same but, have found through a bit of trial and error that the 505' are a bit looser in the seat and smaller in the legs. I'll stick with the 501's, thank-you very much!
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads