• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you live in _____ for $1100/month?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Trying to get some advice here.

In August, I begin my externship for 3 months at some restaurant TBD. I'm interested in many restaurants, but most of them are either in my city (Chicago), San Fran, NYC, DC, Toronto, or London.
Student loans and savings combined give me a monthly budget of $1100, for everything, including rent, transportation, utilities, food, and what have you.
Now, my utilities and food costs likely be very low when I have a job, as I'll be spending anywhere from 60-80 hours at the restaurant a week and will get family meal there.
I know you can live in Chicago on that budget, in a decently safe area of the city, and be fine. My CTA costs are included in my schooling, otherwise I'd be paying $90 a month just in CTA.
But these other cities--- some of which are notoriously hard to "make it" in--- is it possible? To live in a decent, safe area of the city, and pay rent, food costs, utilities, transport, and probably internet but not TV, for only $1100/month? Or I guess in London, it'd be around 800 GBP/ month.

I don't want my externship location to be determined by my budget, however, $1100 is all there is going to be. I won't be getting paid at my job, and I won't be coming across any lotto winnings or inheritance between now and then. So is it workable?

Any tips/advice?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
See my toronto people thread for info on toronto. I know you can definitely manage it there. I saw apartments on CL for $700 downtown. Subway pass is ~$110. That's all you really need.

I'd imagine that it would suck to live in London on that amount, but at least the exchange rate is more favorable these days. Don't forget that you can manage a lot more if you're willing to have roommates (which suck, but it's only for 3 months).

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you could easily do $1k a month in most places as long you have roommates.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could swing DC on $1,100 a month and still have a life.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could live very well in Montreal on $1100 an month (that's almost $1400 CAD right now). There'd be tons of money left over for booze. Cheaper and better than Toronto.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could be someone's love toy in The Castro in San Fran for free.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You could be someone's love toy in The Castro in San Fran for free.

Well, my thread has been up for almost 15 minutes and Matt hasn't offered yet. I don't get it.
confused.gif

Thx for the help guys.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Well, my thread has been up for almost 15 minutes and Matt hasn't offered yet. I don't get it.
confused.gif

Thx for the help guys.

We would ball so hard if you come to DC. I'm talking "snort cocaine with a hundred dollar bill off my iphone" ballin'

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
We would ball so hard if you come to DC. I'm talking "snort cocaine with a hundred dollar bill off my iphone" ballin'

As long as I can still make it to work the next day, you got it dawg. I'm kidding. I'm not a druggie with 0 morals like you.
smile.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as I can still make it to work the next day, you got it dawg. I'm kidding. I'm not a druggie with 0 morals like you.
smile.gif

Lrn2metaphor

kthnxbai.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
confused.gif

Thx for the help guys.

He's not in to pudgy kids.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

+ 100. I wouldn't hang out with you in real life though, so Natan would have to tell me everything second hand.

evor1

Reaction score
i think it will be impossible in SF. friend is living there and moving ...hes going to be paying aroudn 1200 a month just to rent a room in an apartment.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be tough in NYC, DC, LA or SF. Coastal cities are not cheap.

From what I've seen on Craigslist, a decent place in DC is going to run you around 700-800/mo., and that's usually with a bunch of roommates. NYC would be even more. If $1,100 was your firm budget I think doing something fun and keeping yourself sane would become difficult. Again, these cities (Chicago included, but not to the extent of the coastals) have generally higher drink/food costs.

In short, you could do it, but it might be uncomfortable at times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads