Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 6:07 pm in Classic Menswear
- OFFICIAL Best of WAYWT/Favorite fits Last post on 1/24/15 at 10:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Bradley Cooper-Limitless Last post on 8/20/13 at 7:29pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:09 am in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Recent Sartorialist Looks - Page 478
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7157 of 72309/3/12 at 5:34ampost #7158 of 72309/5/12 at 1:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
It's quite an interesting story. There were a number of studies done in the 60s & 70s, often in educational settings. Various studies came up with different percentages (IIRC the 7% figure comes from a UCLA study in the 70s, which has since been requoted out of context across a multitude of secondary sources and books, sometimes getting simplified to 50/40/10); it's actually quite dependent on study design/methodology and exact setting. My overall interpretation of the literature (which I would suggest is also an interpretation fairly consistent with that of a majority of those in this field) is that it's a bit ridiculous to try to assign precise percentages to this sort of thing.
However, it is fair to say that a much larger component of communication is non-verbal than most people prefer to believe. Most people like to think of themselves as rational, scientific people able to weigh up an argument impassionately. This misjudgement is precisely why targetting non-verbal communcation is so important; if you don't realise someone is working on that channel, you're more likely to internalise it without questioning the tactic they're employing. Conversely, if you are aware of it, you're better placed to judge a situation.
Actually trying to give precise percentages though? Yeah, not so useful IMO, especially when studies get quoted out of context.
(more than you wanted to know, I appreciate, but there you go!)
Thanks for that story, though it's not news here. Image consultants and probably newspapers are largely to blame for the stock numbers passed around. People like to cite statistics, but in this case, numbers are not and cannot be reliable (though with the deaf or blind, obviously the formula can be simplified). Also, look at the quote - where's appearance? "Body language" should be "static and dynamic appearance."
Anyway, back to sartorialist pictures?post #7159 of 72309/6/12 at 2:03pmpost #7160 of 72309/23/12 at 2:31ampost #7161 of 723010/29/12 at 11:18ampost #7162 of 723010/29/12 at 12:01pmpost #7163 of 723010/29/12 at 12:09pmpost #7164 of 723010/29/12 at 2:44pmpost #7165 of 723010/29/12 at 2:53pmpost #7166 of 723012/27/12 at 7:54pmpost #7167 of 723012/27/12 at 9:03pmpost #7168 of 723012/29/12 at 7:30ampost #7169 of 723012/29/12 at 7:54ampost #7170 of 723012/31/12 at 8:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Cedric
Anything wrong with this fit?
Pinstripe jacket with grey pants?
I think it looks great, but i think it must be the first pinstripe sport jacket i've ever seen Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Pinstripe SC with a striped shirt is a no no. But it could have been even worse if it was a buttondown striped shirt.
Happy new year everyone
- Recent Sartorialist Looks
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Current State of Americana
Currently, there are 1334 Active Users (247 Members and 1087 Guests)
- › Iron Heart 633S 34 waist 33inseam 17 seconds ago
- › 【POWER】Love Back & Ex Love【+91-9828939517 】Vashikaran Specialist... 1 minute ago
- › 【इंटरनेशनल POWER】Black Magic Vashikaran【+91-9828939517 】Specialist... 3 minutes ago
- › The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~ 4 minutes ago
- › 【 इश्क प्यार 】Love Back Vashikaran【+91-9828939517 】Specialist Baba... 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › BNIB Vass OE2 Antique Cognac EU41.5 F last 9 minutes ago
- › 【प्रेम-विवाह】Love Marriage Problem【+91-9828939517 】Solution... 9 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 12 minutes ago
- › 【POWER】Love Vashikaran【+91-9828939517 】Specialist Baba ji IN UK... 12 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...