Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 9:28 am in Classic Menswear
- OFFICIAL Best of WAYWT/Favorite fits Last post on 11/18/16 at 9:41pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Bradley Cooper-Limitless Last post on 8/20/13 at 7:29pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:27 pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Recent Sartorialist Looks - Page 478post #7157 of 72319/3/12 at 5:34ampost #7158 of 72319/5/12 at 1:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
It's quite an interesting story. There were a number of studies done in the 60s & 70s, often in educational settings. Various studies came up with different percentages (IIRC the 7% figure comes from a UCLA study in the 70s, which has since been requoted out of context across a multitude of secondary sources and books, sometimes getting simplified to 50/40/10); it's actually quite dependent on study design/methodology and exact setting. My overall interpretation of the literature (which I would suggest is also an interpretation fairly consistent with that of a majority of those in this field) is that it's a bit ridiculous to try to assign precise percentages to this sort of thing.
However, it is fair to say that a much larger component of communication is non-verbal than most people prefer to believe. Most people like to think of themselves as rational, scientific people able to weigh up an argument impassionately. This misjudgement is precisely why targetting non-verbal communcation is so important; if you don't realise someone is working on that channel, you're more likely to internalise it without questioning the tactic they're employing. Conversely, if you are aware of it, you're better placed to judge a situation.
Actually trying to give precise percentages though? Yeah, not so useful IMO, especially when studies get quoted out of context.
(more than you wanted to know, I appreciate, but there you go!)
Thanks for that story, though it's not news here. Image consultants and probably newspapers are largely to blame for the stock numbers passed around. People like to cite statistics, but in this case, numbers are not and cannot be reliable (though with the deaf or blind, obviously the formula can be simplified). Also, look at the quote - where's appearance? "Body language" should be "static and dynamic appearance."
Anyway, back to sartorialist pictures?post #7159 of 72319/6/12 at 2:03pmpost #7160 of 72319/23/12 at 2:31ampost #7161 of 723110/29/12 at 11:18ampost #7162 of 723110/29/12 at 12:01pmpost #7163 of 723110/29/12 at 12:09pmpost #7164 of 723110/29/12 at 2:44pmpost #7165 of 723110/29/12 at 2:53pmpost #7166 of 723112/27/12 at 7:54pmpost #7167 of 723112/27/12 at 9:03pmpost #7168 of 723112/29/12 at 7:30ampost #7169 of 723112/29/12 at 7:54ampost #7170 of 723112/31/12 at 8:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Cedric
Anything wrong with this fit?
Pinstripe jacket with grey pants?
I think it looks great, but i think it must be the first pinstripe sport jacket i've ever seen Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Pinstripe SC with a striped shirt is a no no. But it could have been even worse if it was a buttondown striped shirt.
Happy new year everyone
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
Currently, there are 1410 Active Users (310 Members and 1100 Guests)
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 53 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 7 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 8 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 10 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford Suit - Filleted and Gutted 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...