Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 1:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- OFFICIAL Best of WAYWT/Favorite fits Last post on 7/28/15 at 9:31pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Bradley Cooper-Limitless Last post on 8/20/13 at 7:29pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 8:04 pm in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Recent Sartorialist Looks - Page 478
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7157 of 72319/3/12 at 5:34ampost #7158 of 72319/5/12 at 1:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
It's quite an interesting story. There were a number of studies done in the 60s & 70s, often in educational settings. Various studies came up with different percentages (IIRC the 7% figure comes from a UCLA study in the 70s, which has since been requoted out of context across a multitude of secondary sources and books, sometimes getting simplified to 50/40/10); it's actually quite dependent on study design/methodology and exact setting. My overall interpretation of the literature (which I would suggest is also an interpretation fairly consistent with that of a majority of those in this field) is that it's a bit ridiculous to try to assign precise percentages to this sort of thing.
However, it is fair to say that a much larger component of communication is non-verbal than most people prefer to believe. Most people like to think of themselves as rational, scientific people able to weigh up an argument impassionately. This misjudgement is precisely why targetting non-verbal communcation is so important; if you don't realise someone is working on that channel, you're more likely to internalise it without questioning the tactic they're employing. Conversely, if you are aware of it, you're better placed to judge a situation.
Actually trying to give precise percentages though? Yeah, not so useful IMO, especially when studies get quoted out of context.
(more than you wanted to know, I appreciate, but there you go!)
Thanks for that story, though it's not news here. Image consultants and probably newspapers are largely to blame for the stock numbers passed around. People like to cite statistics, but in this case, numbers are not and cannot be reliable (though with the deaf or blind, obviously the formula can be simplified). Also, look at the quote - where's appearance? "Body language" should be "static and dynamic appearance."
Anyway, back to sartorialist pictures?post #7159 of 72319/6/12 at 2:03pmpost #7160 of 72319/23/12 at 2:31ampost #7161 of 723110/29/12 at 11:18ampost #7162 of 723110/29/12 at 12:01pmpost #7163 of 723110/29/12 at 12:09pmpost #7164 of 723110/29/12 at 2:44pmpost #7165 of 723110/29/12 at 2:53pmpost #7166 of 723112/27/12 at 7:54pmpost #7167 of 723112/27/12 at 9:03pmpost #7168 of 723112/29/12 at 7:30ampost #7169 of 723112/29/12 at 7:54ampost #7170 of 723112/31/12 at 8:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Cedric
Anything wrong with this fit?
Pinstripe jacket with grey pants?
I think it looks great, but i think it must be the first pinstripe sport jacket i've ever seen Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Pinstripe SC with a striped shirt is a no no. But it could have been even worse if it was a buttondown striped shirt.
Happy new year everyone
- Recent Sartorialist Looks
- The Current State of Americana
Currently, there are 949 Active Users (174 Members and 775 Guests)
- › plain biscuits suck. 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 11 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 12 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 22 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 25 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 27 minutes ago
- › Ambrosi Napoli 31 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 32 minutes ago
- › need a good vest, and some shirts 35 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...