Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 6/27/12 at 6:38pm in Classic Menswear
- OFFICIAL Best of WAYWT/Favorite fits Last post on 6/23/14 at 3:37am in Streetwear and Denim
- Bradley Cooper-Limitless Last post on 8/20/13 at 7:29pm in Classic Menswear
- ISAIA NAPOLI - SUPER HUGE MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Pants, Ties, Hangers &... Last post on 11/13/13 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? Last post on 3/29/13 at 1:42pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Recent Sartorialist Looks - Page 478
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7157 of 72089/3/12 at 5:34ampost #7158 of 72089/5/12 at 1:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Holdfast
It's quite an interesting story. There were a number of studies done in the 60s & 70s, often in educational settings. Various studies came up with different percentages (IIRC the 7% figure comes from a UCLA study in the 70s, which has since been requoted out of context across a multitude of secondary sources and books, sometimes getting simplified to 50/40/10); it's actually quite dependent on study design/methodology and exact setting. My overall interpretation of the literature (which I would suggest is also an interpretation fairly consistent with that of a majority of those in this field) is that it's a bit ridiculous to try to assign precise percentages to this sort of thing.
However, it is fair to say that a much larger component of communication is non-verbal than most people prefer to believe. Most people like to think of themselves as rational, scientific people able to weigh up an argument impassionately. This misjudgement is precisely why targetting non-verbal communcation is so important; if you don't realise someone is working on that channel, you're more likely to internalise it without questioning the tactic they're employing. Conversely, if you are aware of it, you're better placed to judge a situation.
Actually trying to give precise percentages though? Yeah, not so useful IMO, especially when studies get quoted out of context.
(more than you wanted to know, I appreciate, but there you go!)
Thanks for that story, though it's not news here. Image consultants and probably newspapers are largely to blame for the stock numbers passed around. People like to cite statistics, but in this case, numbers are not and cannot be reliable (though with the deaf or blind, obviously the formula can be simplified). Also, look at the quote - where's appearance? "Body language" should be "static and dynamic appearance."
Anyway, back to sartorialist pictures?post #7159 of 72089/6/12 at 2:03pmpost #7160 of 72089/23/12 at 2:31ampost #7161 of 720810/29/12 at 11:18ampost #7162 of 720810/29/12 at 12:01pmpost #7163 of 720810/29/12 at 12:09pmpost #7164 of 720810/29/12 at 2:44pmpost #7165 of 720810/29/12 at 2:53pmpost #7166 of 720812/27/12 at 7:54pmpost #7167 of 720812/27/12 at 9:03pmpost #7168 of 720812/29/12 at 7:30ampost #7169 of 720812/29/12 at 7:54ampost #7170 of 720812/31/12 at 8:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Cedric
Anything wrong with this fit?
Pinstripe jacket with grey pants?
I think it looks great, but i think it must be the first pinstripe sport jacket i've ever seen Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Pinstripe SC with a striped shirt is a no no. But it could have been even worse if it was a buttondown striped shirt.
Happy new year everyone
- Recent Sartorialist Looks
Styleforum Top Picks
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Currently, there are 2060 Active Users (338 Members and 1722 Guests)
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 18 seconds ago
- › FS: Allen Edmonds Strands Walnut 7.5E 1 minute ago
- › Hope Field Boots in black  2 minutes ago
- › Paul Smith Suede Brogues UK 9 (US 10.5) 3 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › APC New Standard Raw Denim, SIze 33 8 minutes ago
- › Good sunglasses $125 8 minutes ago
- › Henry Carter Neckwear & Accessories: Official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 13 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)