or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recent Sartorialist Looks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recent Sartorialist Looks - Page 477

post #7141 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratorial_Splender View Post

The problem with most of you is your inability to distingush between fashion and style. There are so many things wrong with this look. I can't even start to count them.

Who said anything was right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

Cardigan?

I will be nice and believe that it's an undone tie.


Edit: I have an irksome feeling that Saratorial_Splender is Sir F.
post #7142 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

Come on now gdl, you're better than this.
It was a joke. Not a good one ? shog[1].gif
post #7143 of 7230
Communication:

55% Body Language
38% Tone and Inflection
7% Verbage

Since your joke was in text, I only had 7% to work with. Carry on.
post #7144 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

Communication:
55% Body Language
38% Tone and Inflection
7% Verbage
Since your joke was in text, I only had 7% to work with. Carry on.

You just summed up 100% of the posts on the internet
post #7145 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

You just summed up 100% of the posts on the internet

Is that another joke? I can't fucking tell.

peepwall[1].gif
post #7146 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratorial_Splender View Post

The problem with most of you is your inability to distingush between fashion and style. There are so many things wrong with this look. I can't even start to count them.

obvious troll is obvious
post #7147 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

Communication:
55% Body Language
38% Tone and Inflection
7% Verbage
Since your joke was in text, I only had 7% to work with. Carry on.

Who even came up with these percentages?
post #7148 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

Communication:
55% Body Language
38% Tone and Inflection
7% Verbage
Since your joke was in text, I only had 7% to work with. Carry on.

Who even came up with these percentages?

 

It's quite an interesting story. There were a number of studies done in the 60s & 70s, often in educational settings. Various studies came up with different percentages (IIRC the 7% figure comes from a UCLA study in the 70s, which has since been requoted out of context across a multitude of secondary sources and books, sometimes getting simplified to 50/40/10); it's actually quite dependent on study design/methodology and exact setting. My overall interpretation of the literature (which I would suggest is also an interpretation fairly consistent with that of a majority of those in this field) is that it's a bit ridiculous to try to assign precise percentages to this sort of thing.

 

However, it is fair to say that a much larger component of communication is non-verbal than most people prefer to believe. Most people like to think of themselves as rational, scientific people able to weigh up an argument impassionately. This misjudgement is precisely why targetting non-verbal communcation is so important; if you don't realise someone is working on that channel, you're more likely to internalise it without questioning the tactic they're employing. Conversely, if you are aware of it, you're better placed to judge a situation.

 

Actually trying to give precise percentages though? Yeah, not so useful IMO, especially when studies get quoted out of context.

 

(more than you wanted to know, I appreciate, but there you go!)

post #7149 of 7230
Yeah but this is the Internet, land of written language so the proportions here are awfully close to 100% verbage and 0% body language and tone.
post #7150 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Yeah but this is the Internet, land of written language so the proportions here are awfully close to 100% garbage and 0% body language and tone.


FTFY

 

SF company excepted, naturally! ;)

post #7151 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

obvious troll is obvious
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

obvious troll is obvious[/qu


You are a quite an Ultra Marron with penis envy!!!!!!! If you do not have teh brains to discuss like a gentleman, get the f** out.
post #7152 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

 

It's quite an interesting story. There were a number of studies done in the 60s & 70s, often in educational settings. Various studies came up with different percentages (IIRC the 7% figure comes from a UCLA study in the 70s, which has since been requoted out of context across a multitude of secondary sources and books, sometimes getting simplified to 50/40/10); it's actually quite dependent on study design/methodology and exact setting. My overall interpretation of the literature (which I would suggest is also an interpretation fairly consistent with that of a majority of those in this field) is that it's a bit ridiculous to try to assign precise percentages to this sort of thing.

 

However, it is fair to say that a much larger component of communication is non-verbal than most people prefer to believe. Most people like to think of themselves as rational, scientific people able to weigh up an argument impassionately. This misjudgement is precisely why targetting non-verbal communcation is so important; if you don't realise someone is working on that channel, you're more likely to internalise it without questioning the tactic they're employing. Conversely, if you are aware of it, you're better placed to judge a situation.

 

Actually trying to give precise percentages though? Yeah, not so useful IMO, especially when studies get quoted out of context.

 

(more than you wanted to know, I appreciate, but there you go!)

 

+1 Holdfast-  even over the phone it's nonverbal  -   tone, rhythm, modulation etc  -  are what matters.  They set the emotional pitch of any call.

post #7153 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFS View Post

Who even came up with these percentages?

An Italian scientist..biggrin.gif
post #7154 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

Communication:
55% Body Language
38% Tone and Inflection
7% Language
Since your joke was in text, I only had 7% to work with. Carry on.

I heard, that body language is nearer 90% and language at 10%, but maybe that was with autistics? I forget...
post #7155 of 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

I heard, that body language is nearer 90% and language at 10%, but maybe that was with autistics? I forget...
Autistic people have trouble reading body language so it certainly wouldn't be 90% body language for them...maybe if you inverted the numbers to 90% verbal...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recent Sartorialist Looks