• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I just received a custom order from Alden: a 975 Longwing in #8 cordovan, but on the Plaza last, and with a single sole. I'm already in love with it.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't just order four or five more of exactly the same shoe? I would keep a pair of black captoes around for occasions when they're required. But so long as I'm comfortable wearing these Longwings on a day-to-day basis, even with business suits, is there anything I should fear other than boredom?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoe monogamy is an evil thought.

But not much more than shirt monogamy I guess.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you still itching for your sartorial personality change?

Anyways, you should post a picture or three of your new shoes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is much dumber than the all blue shirts idea.

Smahatma

Reaction score
I think it would work for you, given how mono-directional your wardrobe seems to be.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Shoe monogamy is an evil thought. But not much more than shirt monogamy I guess.
Well, no. Shoe monogamy would be keeping only one pair of shoes. I'm proposing a harem of many pairs that happen to be identical.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is much dumber than the all blue shirts idea.

What's so dumb about that? I have like ten identical black t-shirts.
smile.gif

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boss claims that he has eight pairs of the exact same shoe, which he wears with his suits every day.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many guys don't even bother to rotate, so I don't see a problem with sticking to one style. It's a bit "Monk"-ish, but whatever works for you. It's probably less eye-grabbing than rotating 40 pairs of high-end shoes, and, in that regard, might serve you well in a conservative industry.

Would you have all five pairs in rotation? I'd be cautious about stocking up for future use if only because of the possibility they might not fit 10 years down the line.

Reactions: RSS

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I would never do it, I always found it interesting to wear the same thing everyday! To have a closet full of the same suit, shirt, tie, and shoe. My friend wears all black everyday but in different ways. It has become his trademark and people love it! I am not sure wearing the same shoe is enough to make it intriguing though.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Although I would never do it, I always found it interesting to wear the same thing everyday! To have a closet full of the same suit, shirt, tie, and shoe. My friend wears all black everyday but in different ways. It has become his trademark and people love it! I am not sure wearing the same shoe is enough to make it intriguing though.

Do they?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, no. Shoe monogamy would be keeping only one pair of shoes. I'm proposing a harem of many pairs that happen to be identical.
You should blackline my post and send me a bill.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel

I know many people who wear the same outfit every day, except they only have one of each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads