• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Patent Leather shoes be used for anything other than tuxedos?

internettman

Reaction score
Seems like there's a lot of hate for patent leather shoes on here.

Hate for patent leather shoes aside, I'm wondering if patent leather shoes can ever work with anything other than a tuxedo?

For the sake of argument, would it be conceivable that patent leather shoes could ever go well with jeans or khakis or a suit?

I'm not really asking in a strict, formal sense, as if patent leather shoes ever "should" go with something like jeans, because the impression I get is that patent leather is only for tuxedos. I guess maybe I'm talking about pushing the boundaries of fashion?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Sure, you can wear them with evening tails too...
rimshot.gif

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can do certain patent leather shoes with jeans and people have been doing that for a while. It is no longer "pushing the boundaries of fashion"

HHD

Reaction score
No, they're horrible! Save them to throw at the politician of your choice.

internettman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
you can do certain patent leather shoes with jeans and people have been doing that for a while. It is no longer "pushing the boundaries of fashion"
can you tell me more about this? I put on a pair of shiny black shoes when wearing jeans and I wasn't sure how it might be possible to make that work

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got some patent leather jordans that look good with jeans.

someone I know wore patent leather jordans with his tux for his wedding.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are boots, they can be broken off in someones ass.

internettman

Reaction score
making it VERY simple so it is easy to do:
shoes: http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/st...ndex=20&tid=C9
jeans: http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse...sp?id=10973260
Shirt: http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...63500cat255913
jacket: http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...63500cat255915

So, you're suggesting that black patent leather shoes could go well with dry denim and a black shirt and black blazer?
I guess I can see patent leather shoes worn casually as working alright in an all-black outfit.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to do patent casually but I dont want to confuse you wit a whole bunch of options. Sometimes simple in the beggining is best.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because patent shoes don't push the boundries of fashion anymore, I wear my 2B Grosgrain PL DJ with my old Onitsuka high top, neon yellow / pink / purple sneakers and wide stripe seersucker jeans.

I live to push boundries.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it look good or do you do it in a desperate attempt to seperate yourself from the masses?

internettman

Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to do patent casually but I dont want to confuse you wit a whole bunch of options. Sometimes simple in the beggining is best.
I'm interested in hearing your ideas.

If for some strange reason what you say gets me all confused, I can always stick with black pants if I decide I really want to wear patent leather shoes casually.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A more formal S&M outfit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads