• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One button suits?

shazeh

Reaction score
Hello all-

I was wondering if some more experienced fellas could shed some light on this for me. I want to get a nice one button suit. I have the build for it. I was reading online that these cant be worn in an office. I was planning on wearing it everywhere i need to wear a suit at: the office, weddings, parties, etc. Now on the thick as thieves website, some of the pics of one button suits in the products section, look very "office-ish" they also look like I could wear them anywhere a suit is required, thats my opinion, but maybe I am wrong. Also, do you consider them to be trendy now and will go out of style and that I should just stick to two button? Thanks for your help!

sjg22

Reaction score
I would say you should go for it depending on how many of the below qualities you possess (the more the better):

1. You are in a mid-level or senior position and have go cause for concern in terms of the quality of your work. Juniors should live by the proposition that only their quality of work should get them noticed, not anything else, including their taste in clothing.
2. You work in a creative field (eg. architecture).
3. You reside in the U.K. where I tend to see more one-button jackets than anywhere else. If you work in North America, this should give you pause.
4. You buy the suit in a very conservative colour (navy or charcoal; perhaps mid-grey) in either a solid or very conservative pattern (pinatripe, subtle chalk-stripe).
5. You wear it with confidence and pride. I am a strong believer in the idea that other people's perception of how you dress is greatly influenced by how you carry yourself.

For weddings and parties, I say good on you. A one-button would work well.

m_wave

Reaction score
I think you could wear one in an office as long as you aren't in a professional services role.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think everybody on the board is too conservative with their suggestions for suiting and such. Then again I do work in fashion....

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... Did you just read the one-button suit spread in GQ? Be honest now...

Personally I like them, only have one and thats enough for me. If you get it in business styling, no one at work will likely notice so it would be fine. My single button suit is peak lapel and a khaki/cream - personally I find it more appropriate for parties, summer weddings etc..

shazeh

Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses. I dont live in the UK, live in DC. I would probably get it in a notch lapel, and it would be in a dark color, such as medium gray, navy pinstripe, or black. the one shown on thick as thieves product section with notch lapel, looks like something one could wear in a business setting and a party setting. Do you all consider it a fad? I honestly dont think people would even notice if its a one or two button. If it were more than 3 i bet people would notice. the first one on this page with notch lapel is what i like, except i would get in a med gray, black or navy pin stripe. http://www.thickasthievesla.com/product.html

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shazeh
Hello all-

I was wondering if some more experienced fellas could shed some light on this for me. I want to get a nice one button suit. I have the build for it. I was reading online that these cant be worn in an office.

Balderdash! I have two one-button suits, both with peak lapels, and I wear them regularly to the office.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being in California, you can get away with anything. But for some reason, I'm still amazed that even in New York or D.C., except for old timers in banking or law who grew up learning conservative/traditional styles of dress, anyone else would notice or care whether a suit is 1, 2 or 3 buttons and what kind of lapels they have.

gherrmann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shazeh
the first one on this page with notch lapel is what i like, except i would get in a med gray, black or navy pin stripe.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/product.html

The hacking pockets make that suit seem undressy/unbusinessy to me. That's not to say that one couldn't get away with it, but it's not all that conservative. If I saw an attorney wearing that suit, for example, I would almost certainly notice it, and not really in a good way.

dclloyd

Reaction score
IMO one buttons are like four buttons were a few years ago ... they tend to be more subject to swings in fashion than 2's or 3's. If this is one suit of a few that you have, and you're not looking for something that's really a 'classic' then go for it. If you're still building your wardrobe and you don't have the basics covered already I'd probably go with the two.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously, how many people are even going to notice?

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Few may actually notice the single button - but more may notice the general look and style. In an office environment sometimes you want to appear young, hip and non-traditional. Other people may want to not stand out with their clothing and appear more conservative. Depends on the office, the industry and the individual. A two button is typically going to be a safer bet - you can still go with the young and hip by matching with bolder colours in shirts/ties, but it's also easier to tone down. You'd be hard pressed to get the same flexibility with a one button.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dclloyd
IMO one buttons are like four buttons were a few years ago ... they tend to be more subject to swings in fashion than 2's or 3's. If this is one suit of a few that you have, and you're not looking for something that's really a 'classic' then go for it. If you're still building your wardrobe and you don't have the basics covered already I'd probably go with the two.

Sage words. Unless it will work against you in a very conservative work place go for it. Most people will not notice.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Only if they're very well tailored would I look closely enough to notice the buttons, and in that case, the fact that they're well tailored negates any apprehension about the button count.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads