• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showerheads

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend good showerheads? The adjustable kind, not the "rain" kind.

Thanks in advance.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Define adjustable, do you need like 20 different spray patterns?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
FWIW, I use a Speakman. SImple, built well, inexpensive, and widely available. Also easy to remove the water regulator, which is important to me. All showerheads sold in the US have a water flow regulator, which depending on your preferences, may suck. Maybe it will be what you are looking for.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
FWIW, I use a Speakman. SImple, built well, inexpensive, and widely available. Also easy to remove the water regulator, which is important to me. All showerheads sold in the US have a water flow regulator, which depending on your preferences, may suck. Maybe it will be what you are looking for.

What's a water regulator?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Can anyone recommend good showerheads? The adjustable kind, not the "rain" kind.

Thanks in advance.

I hate those rain showerheads. It's part of the reason I stopped going to the W when I traveled a lot. You have to stand there like an idiot, scrubbing the soap off you while this enormous shower head piddles pitifully on your head.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
What's a water regulator?
All new showerheads come with a device built in to restrict the flow of water for conservation. 2.5 gallons per minute is the maximum. There is a secret though, they test them at 80PSI which is nowhere near the pressure of the water in any residential house (which means that with std. residential pressure, old pipes, or any other of a number of interferences - you will be lucky to get 1.8 gallons a minute at the showerhead) Many companies build it into the showerhead so that it cannot be removed, in some it is just a little plastic disc with a hole in it that sits right inside the threads where you screw the showerhead onto the neck that comes out of the wall or ceiling. These can be popped out with a screwdriver for more waterflow/pressure if you so desire, and many people desire.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Moen, so that that's the only one I am looking at right now.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Speakman-S-2005-rw-29992-7475.jpg
This is pretty much the exact shower head I have. It's not fancy, but unlike many shower heads out there - it actually feels like you are getting a SHOWER, not being peed on.
smile.gif
Here's the company PDF on how to remove the flow regulator. http://www.speakmancompany.com/faqs/download/130

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I've heard of Moen, so that that's the only one I am looking at right now.
Moen is alright. IMO Speakman is better quality for the price though. Moen is more "design" than function. Don't get me wrong - they work ok... but they aren't any better than anything else. A bit plasticy and fragile for my tastes. They are available everywhere and are pretty ubiquitous in new construction. Moen, Waterpik, Price Pfister, Hansgrohe, Delta and Kohler are all going to be pretty standard type stuff with a decent price range from $30-$200 The cheaper ones are... cheap. They generally don't offer anything more exciting than more massage spray patterns and brushed chrome/gold/platinum/antique bronze finishes, blah blah blah. They are all plastic. I have quite a bit of finish plumbing and fixture experience, and aside from high end stuff like Grohe, the Speakman is the best showerhead I've ever seen or used. I'm just saying... You asked for a recommendation. Thats what I've got.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Or if you are a baller, you can get this.
aaa27163.jpg
20061124173747201_0001.jpg
ccc12555.jpg
Course, thats about $10k in just the fixture and enclosure costs alone, not including installation.
smile.gif

Lucky7

Reaction score
I have Grohe fixtures in my baths. Expensive but built to last. They use metal, not cheap plastic valves.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I have Grohe fixtures in my baths. Expensive but built to last. They use metal, not cheap plastic valves.
Problem is, aside from the rain showers, which are, I believe, still all metal, most of their actual spray heads are indeed chromed plastic now. High grade reinforced chromed plastic, but plastic nonetheless. Its called Grohe Starlite, if I remember correctly. Honestly, it lasts longer and is easier to clean. It makes much more sense to have all the interior waterways done in plastic, since it doesn't corrode. They used to be all brass - but its just too expensive for something that most people will never notice. How often do you take off your showerhead and weigh it? Not very often. Not to mention that buying a showerhead for $250- $600 bucks is a little like spending $900 on sneakers. Nothing wrong with a little luxury - but seriously...
smile.gif
That being said, Grohe is nice. If you like the design, and are willing to pay for it - by all means, I won't stop you.
smile.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's always ok to really spend on the things we use a lot. Anything eating/sleep/bathroom related I tend to splurge.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I generally tend to agree - but if you are going to splurge - don't half ass it with a new showerhead - get a new bathroom.
smile.gif
Getting a $300 designer showerhead while you are still using a $30 Delta ball valve shower control and sitting on a $99 American Standard toilet makes about as much sense as a buying a used Rolex with dust.
smile.gif
If you were interested in the Grohe stuff, Amazon has some decent prices on them. Adjustable shower heads: http://www.amazon.com/28275000-Relex...422479&sr=1-12 http://www.amazon.com/28197000-Relex...422587&sr=1-65 http://www.amazon.com/Grohe-Champagn...22653&sr=1-145 http://www.amazon.com/Grohe-Movario-...22689&sr=1-184 http://www.amazon.com/Movario-Massag...22727&sr=1-199 http://www.amazon.com/GROHE-Sinfonia...22786&sr=1-259 The main problem I see with this is that unless you want to tear into your wall and replace your shower valve and control trim - these aren't going to match anything else in or near your bathtub. Most of them are pretty distinctive looking.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I generally tend to agree - but if you are going to splurge - don't half ass it with a new showerhead - get a new bathroom.
smile.gif

Getting a $300 designer showerhead while you are still using a $30 Delta ball valve shower control and sitting on a $99 American Standard toilet makes about as much sense as a buying a used Rolex with dust.
smile.gif

I live in a fairly posh building on Michigan ave, it doesn't exactly have standard fittings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads