• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrast color turtleneck collar by Eric Glennie

eric glennie

Reaction score
I did research on this collar and couldnt find any reference on the internet to a contrasting colored turtleneck collar. I am checking to see if you guys or gals seen anything like this before.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh man, eg, that actually doesn't look terribly bad at all. how much would you sell it for?

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time until EG gets his own Wikipedia page...
boxing[1].gif

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
I did research on this collar and couldnt find any reference on the internet to a contrasting colored turtleneck collar. I am checking to see if you guys or gals seen anything like this before.
If you cant post other web friendlier picture formats I'm not looking.

versusqc

Reaction score
Look like the clerk turtle neck, or what the priest used to wear(don't know the actual name of...)
blcollarjy0.png

blkcollarcd1.png

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Eric this is your least awful idea ever. Congratulations.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, almost looks like what my gf bought from Banana Republic (I think it was BR) this year. It was a black tall neck turtleneck with buttons on one side and was grey on the interior of the neck, so when she folded it over the neck was grey and the body was black.

gsugsu

Reaction score
It certainly is not off-putting like most of your previous posts

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsugsu
It certainly is not off-putting like most of your previous posts

+1

Thank you Eric for refraining from calling yourself a genius.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Eric this is your least awful idea ever. Congratulations.

+1

djf881

Reaction score
Well, it's significantly less grotesque than some of your previous abortions. Still significantly worse than what others are doing with knits. You generally like to contrast things that look dumb, like the knot of a tie with the rest of the tie.

To the extent good designers use contrast, they are more subtle and tasteful, using something like a contrasting-colored thread, a contrasting color lining or a contrasting detail around the sleeve or the bottom of the sweater.

What you have done is effectively similar to layering knits. I've seen clothes at Wal-Mart that create the appearance of layering with one garment. If someone wanted to put a white crewneck over a black turtleneck, they could achieve the same effect. A lot of people wear v-necks or crewnecks over button-down shirts or t-shirts of a different color. Obviously actually layering different garments makes a more flexible wardrobe than garments that create an illusion of layering.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
oh man, eg, that actually doesn't look terribly bad at all. how much would you sell it for?

These are prototypes with professional samples soon. I had this idea for quite a few years and thought this would be a great, unisex seller for men, women, and children. I was saving this for the fashion house that was going to give me a job, but that company doesnt exist~ I guess!! I found a manufacturer for my neckties about 2 months ago and will soon manufacture these turtlenecks also to sell on the net. The ties dont have sizing issues which is nice because of low overhead, and these shirts will come in small, med, large, and xlarge which is easier to manufacture compared to dress shirts. Things are moving along well, just as long as I dont get knocked off, but I dont know too many big fashion labels that want to step on a small timer and take the chance of getting exposed. I was just a little worried some would think this looks too much like a Catholic priest look but I feel the black/white contrasting color is dichromatic chic. I dont know too many priests that wear turtlenecks though.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djf881
Well, it's significantly less grotesque than some of your previous abortions. Still significantly worse than what others are doing with knits. You generally like to contrast things that look dumb, like the knot of a tie with the rest of the tie.

To the extent good designers use contrast, they are more subtle and tasteful, using something like a contrasting-colored thread, a contrasting color lining or a contrasting detail around the sleeve or the bottom of the sweater.

What you have done is effectively similar to layering knits. I've seen clothes at Wal-Mart that create the appearance of layering with one garment. If someone wanted to put a white crewneck over a black turtleneck, they could achieve the same effect. A lot of people wear v-necks or crewnecks over button-down shirts or t-shirts of a different color. Obviously actually layering different garments makes a more flexible wardrobe than garments that create an illusion of layering.

Sure you can layer a shirt over a turtleneck , but why have all the bulk of 2 shirts when you can just wear one.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
+1

Thank you Eric for refraining from calling yourself a genius.

I never said that! I just called myself out to the public ! Psychological propoganda is a great marketing tool so If I said I was mediocre then you wouldnt be watching , would you. I just said I am the most innovative and that is true, just not validated yet.

My personal opinion is the inundation of sex in todays fashion world is an indication of a lack of innovation. What else is there to sell if your products are the same as every other designer. However, there is another design genre of intellectual fashion design which is what many of the European designers pride themselves on. Its like a computer hacker that wants to be the best and the greatest hacker and place a stamp on his work~To do want no other has done before. Intellectual fashion design is an arrogant field because we want to place our name on history, not just sell clothes.

Eric Glennie is "shock and walk fashion design"! Different, yet wearable on the street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads