• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a casual tie?

Sazari

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to wear a black tie and to be quite honest i have no excuse to dress up. Is there a more casual way i can wear a black tie?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazari
I am looking for a way to wear a black tie and to be quite honest i have no excuse to dress up. Is there a more casual way i can wear a black tie?

Is it silk? If so, don't try to wear it casually, because unless you've got super-steeze, it'll be hard to pull off.

Anyway, something with texture/pattern easier to wear casually. Think black knit tie with thin horizontal white stripes. Maybe a herringbone wool tie, but I think the knit would be more straightforwardly casual.

Honestly though, why not just wear navy/midnight blue or charcoal grey?

Sazari

Reaction score
I have a wool black tie as well as a silk one. The balck wool tie is the only non silk tie i have though so that is why i thought to use it. All my stripped ones are silk. I really am just looking for a way to casually wear a tie.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqreader239
if its more narrow it will be easier to wear with jeans and a button down. keep everything slim and you will seem stylish to 98% of the world. not on SF though, they dont like that look on this forum.

What, the jeans & tie, thing? It's fine, but I think the reason that a lot of us here don't like it is that it's often thought of as contrived. If you're giving off the vibe of casual joe who read about how cool it is to wear ties with jeans on the internetz, you'll look like a douchebag. If come across as a Manhattan exec who instinctively put on a tie with his jeans (preferably something 501-esque) and sportshirt, it'll be pretty badass.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Jeans and tie are awesome, as long as it's a skinny tie and you don't look like it's the first time you wore a tie with jeans.

slappysloopy

Reaction score
You should definitely tuck in the button down. There's no two ways about that. I don't know if you have a really awesome tie you want to show off or not, but you could always wear a tie and a shirt under nice V-neck sweater and look nice but not come off as overdressed for school or hanging out or whatever you plan to be doing with your tie on.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's contrived as ****, I say don't do it at all.*

*There are exceptions to this. It's always contrived, but sometimes it's done so well you forget about that.

Lysol

Reaction score
Trick question!

If you have no business wearing a tie, don't. It's the quickest way to make yourself look like a rookie / douchebag. It looks totally costumey and contrived. This is not to say that there aren't men on the men's clothing side of the forum that couldn't very well pull off a shirt, tie, jacket, and odd trousers and look sharp but chances are, if you're over here, you're in your 20's, drink beer in basements, and would look like Avril Lavigne or affected at best.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappysloopy
You should definitely tuck in the button down. There's no two ways about that. I don't know if you have a really awesome tie you want to show off or not, but you could always wear a tie and a shirt under nice V-neck sweater and look nice but not come off as overdressed for school or hanging out or whatever you plan to be doing with your tie on.

This too, very good idea.

slappysloopy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
Trick question!

If you have no business wearing a tie, don't. The quickest way to make yourself look like a rookie.

I think the only exception would be is that if you don't have business, just make it your business to wear a tie. I agree though. If you don't carry yourself well or pull it off correctly, you could make an ass out of yourself.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappysloopy
I don't know if you have a really awesome tie you want to show off or not, but you could always wear a tie and a shirt under nice V-neck sweater and look nice but not come off as overdressed for school or hanging out or whatever you plan to be doing with your tie on.
I agree completely, I love this look and use it quite often. Whereas just wearing a tie and a button down with jeans can look like you dressed that way JUST TO WEAR A TIE, since you're wearing a sweater as well, it looks like the tie is just a part of the outfit. I was rocking this look 3 days ago at a birthday for a friend and got compliments all around. I WAS overdressed, but as long as you own the look, things will be great. Here was how I was wearing it, eyes look weird cause of red eye reducer:
n1469400119300775075681ii2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads