• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who takes public transit?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone take it?

Living in LA is a constant traffic jam. I was fortunate enough to get a new job that is about 3 blocks away from one of the few rail lines that run in this city - doubly fortunate because I happen to live 2 blocks from a station as well. I seem to average at least 90 minutes on the road a day (round trip), so today I decided I will give public transit a shot and form and opinion. I always had this romantic notion of taking trains, I took them in europe and enjoyed the freedom and minimal work. LA is hardly London, but I'm about ready to say **** public transportation.

-My round trip commute took 3 hours. 1 connection, probably 15 stops. $5 day pass.
-There was a 5 minute delay for an emergency and this one bum was getting all pissy, causing a scene
-Oh yea, the bums and poor people
-We all had to get off one train cause it was being turned off or some **** and pile into the next train 10 minutes later
-The only empty seat was next to the old singing black bum, whom everyone was annoyed with
-Ladies carring babies and panhandling candy

Is this **** normal?

**** man, that all was just on my trip home. Going to work was cool, had my coffee, zoned out a bit, made my notes for a meeting. But coming home was a disaster. I just want a beer now! Im gonna give it one more honest effort on a Wednesday or something, but gas aint that expensive anymore. Think Ill stick to driving.

Bruce9241

Reaction score
You forgot to mention the positive aspects of taking a train.

-You learn how to dance (from the black bums you talked about)
-You meet interesting people (homeless or not, they can be interesting)
-If you get into a train accident your insurance rate won't go up.
-You get to talk about how Urban you are when talking with your yuppie colleagues.
-You might meet an attractive homeless woman.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Washington Metro kicks ass.
+1. I love that stuff. Florida has terrible public transportation systems, but I live within a mile of work, campus, the mall, Publix, the bars, my bank, the post office, and church. I really don't drive all that much anyway.

It's insane to me that it's "normal" in America to spend ten plus hours a week commuting.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I use public transit a lot, for travel and errands/commute. I wish more money was invested in to the trains/bus systems in America.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The NYC system is civilized compared to that.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Washington Metro kicks ass.

But the NYC subway never closes.

Eat that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
But the NYC subway never closes.

Eat that.

Yeah, but get on it after a certain hour, and you might as well paint a target on your chest.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yeah, but get on it after a certain hour, and you might as well paint a target on your chest.

I ride them at all hours.

Get your mind out of the 80s!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
I ride them at all hours.

Get your mind out of the 80s!

My mind made it into the '90s, if barely.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My mind made it into the '90s, if barely.

The crack epidemic hit the city hard back then...I understand.

But do realize that your current bespoke steez would cow would-be nefarious straphangers even around Broadway Junction/East New York.

Doubt me?

Just try it and see!

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads