• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which watches retain their value?

stevejobs

Reaction score
I recently read a news article about someone trying to pawn his Movado watch and the pawnbroker turning him down, saying that there is no secondary market for that watch brand. So the guy who bought the Movado for let's say $500 is stuck, whereas if he had bought a different brand he might have been able to recoup something for it.

We all know that top brands such as Rolex, Cartier, and Patek retain their value well, but what mid-priced brands (sub $1000) are just as worthy as resales (percentage wise)?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should be worrying less about cheap watches and more about your health. My Roth IRA hangs in the balance.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
My uncle is actually a watch collector/dealer (instead of say, putting his money in to something smart, like an IRA, he buys another watch), and he says he does the best with Rolexes..

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Used high end watches retain their value very well.

- B

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you buy a used watch at an average price, use it cleanly, there is no reason you won't get the exact same price later on if you sell it. If you are really a cheapskate, you should get one with a good amount of wear scratches on it, but has recently been serviced. In 2 years it will look the same and you can say it was serviced 2 years ago, which is not bad for a used watch.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cartier doesn't hold value well, from what I've seen in that market. Patek and Rolex are still the best to buy if you're into that sort of thing. But for Rolex, keep your choices to the ones that are harder to find- Daytona, Milgauss, the older Sea Dwellers.... the run of the mill Rolexes do not hold much value. Few notches down the totem pole and I believe IWC pilots and base Panerais' prices don't go down as much in the second hand market. The rest- Omega, Breitling, B&R, Ball, etc... I think its better you just hold on to them.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
if you buy a used watch at an average price, use it cleanly, there is no reason you won't get the exact same price later on if you sell it.

great advice!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevejobs
I recently read a news article about someone trying to pawn his Movado watch and the pawnbroker turning him down, saying that there is no secondary market for that watch brand. So the guy who bought the Movado for let's say $500 is stuck, whereas if he had bought a different brand he might have been able to recoup something for it.

We all know that top brands such as Rolex, Cartier, and Patek retain their value well, but what mid-priced brands (sub $1000) are just as worthy as resales (percentage wise)?

Movado is the Kenneth Cole of watches

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Movado is the Kenneth Cole of watches

Haha. What is your opinion of Kenneth Cole watches then?
laugh.gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not buy a new watch ever. Patek, Rolex, Panerai (some of them, anyway), and anything made of platinum will hold its value.

By "hold it's value" I don't mean that you can sell it for the same price as you bought it for. I mean you can take a minimal loss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads