or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My London's trip = All you need to know
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My London's trip = All you need to know - Page 5

post #61 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
Ohhh, I have no expectations that I can stomp out racism. I ust think that you should call a spade a spade, and if you want to use racist terms be ready to be called out on it and not make excuses.


K

i'm confused. you rail against using racially derogatory names, and then you say you should call a spade a spade. seems like conflicting advice.
post #62 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
Ohhh, I have no expectations that I can stomp out racism. I ust think that you should call a spade a spade, and if you want to use racist terms be ready to be called out on it and not make excuses.


K

Oh, I fully agree. I have no illusions in that regard either, but I attack it at every opportunity.
post #63 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post
i'm confused. you rail against using racially derogatory names, and then you say you should call a spade a spade. seems like conflicting advice.

It isn't conflicting at all, "calling a spade a spade" is a very old British English figure of speech and has nothing to do with race at all, despite the nature of the discussion, the spade in question is a shovel. And means that things should be addressed as what they are and not dressed up or excused in other terms.

And what is meant here is that if someone uses racist slurs, then they are a racist and should be prepared to be addressed as such.
post #64 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69 View Post
It isn't conflicting at all, "calling a spade a spade" is a very old British English figure of speech and has nothing to do with race at all, despite the nature of the discussion, the spade in question is a shovel. And means that things should be addressed as what they are and not dressed up or excused in other terms.

And what is meant here is that if someone uses racist slurs, then they are a racist and should be prepared to be addressed as such.

i understand that. i was just making a joke around the multiple meanings of the word spade, hence the little drumming guy. just trying to bring a little non-pc wordplay humor in here and lighten the mood.

and while i agree that someone who makes racial slurs should be prepared to address/defend them, to say someone who makes these remarks is automatically a racist is wildly inaccurate. intent behind a word/statement holds far more importance than just the word itself. and there are many people who harbor racial prejudices who don't say anything that could be considered a racial slur, thinking this somehow doesnt qualify them as a racist.
post #65 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post
i understand that. i was just making a joke around the multiple meanings of the word spade, hence the little drumming guy. just trying to bring a little non-pc wordplay humor in here and lighten the mood.


okay, sorry, I didn't see the drummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post
intent behind a word/statement holds far more importance than just the word itself.

Sorry, but that is simply rubbish and just another outdated excuse for "canteen culture" racists (aka workplace bullies) That is nonsense both to the man on the street and to the executors and legislators of the law. Intent is totally irrelevant. The perceived or real offnece is what steers the law (Public Order Act 1986 in the UK) not if the person uttering the offensive word really meant it or not, because that can never be truly proved one way or the other. And only victimises the victim further by allowing the criminal racist a "get out" and not acting on what the victim has to say.
The voice of the victim being offended can be the only true and just way to legislate for this. And that is actually how the law is applied in the UK and in Sweden. How it is applied in the US I couldn't say.

Applying your logic, a man raping his girlfirend could get off if he said "Oh I didn't mena it I was
only joking"

In the UK calling an Asian a paki is just as bad as a white person calling a black person a nigger in the US.

Stop making excuses. Racist jokes are racist not jokes! EVERYONE I've ever met that has told racist jokes and hasn't grown out of it has been and still is a racist!

If you joke about race, you are a racist, per definition!
post #66 of 134
add me to the list of people disgusted with this racist cunt
post #67 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
I am perplexed as to why so many people you encountered were so unfriendly?

Might have something to do with him being a racist, arrogant, horse's arse!
post #68 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post
Folks, you just can't make this shit up.

Unfortunately! I just feel sorry for the normal working people he encountered and upset in London!
post #69 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by manouche View Post
One of the salesman had a DIGITAL casio... the doofus!

God, you really are the worst kind of snobbish TWAT!
post #70 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69 View Post
Applying your logic, a man raping his girlfirend could get off if he said "Oh I didn't mena it I was only joking"

i really don't think this was using any logic, much less my logic. i fail to see the correlation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69 View Post
Stop making excuses. Racist jokes are racist not jokes! EVERYONE I've ever met that has told racist jokes and hasn't grown out of it has been and still is a racist!

im not making excuses. and maybe i misrepresented myself but i was speaking more about racial humor, not racist humor. im just wondering, what is your opinion on people who laugh at racial jokes? because by that definition, that racist jokes are racist not jokes, and since you have said that jokes about race are racist, it wouldn't be a leap to imagine that someone who laughs at something that is racial or racist humor would be racists themselves. this goes back to what i was saying about intent, and i think maybe un-pc words in racial humor could be used with racist intent, as well as non-racist intent (chris rock and ricky gervais both come to mind as comedians who use words that could be considered racist, but i don't think most people would consider them to be racists themselves)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69 View Post
If you joke about race, you are a racist, per definition!

rac⋅ism   [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA Pronunciation
-noun
1.\ta belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2.\ta policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.\thatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

nothing in there about jokes. im really not trying to be an ass, i just think that there is nothing wrong with making jokes about race, and that roping off a set of words as unusable only gives them more power to those that would use them for hate.
post #71 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
add me to the list of people disgusted with this racist cunt

this made me lol
post #72 of 134
i dont understand how you can't not see a McDonalds in London....they're everywhere!!

..and Pizza Express
post #73 of 134
^^If you're asking rhetorically at Manouche, his head is so far up his ass, it's difficult for him to see the double arches.
post #74 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4design View Post
i really don't think this was using any logic, much less my logic. i fail to see the correlation.


im not making excuses. and maybe i misrepresented myself but i was speaking more about racial humor, not racist humor. im just wondering, what is your opinion on people who laugh at racial jokes? because by that definition, that racist jokes are racist not jokes, and since you have said that jokes about race are racist, it wouldn't be a leap to imagine that someone who laughs at something that is racial or racist humor would be racists themselves. this goes back to what i was saying about intent, and i think maybe un-pc words in racial humor could be used with racist intent, as well as non-racist intent (chris rock and ricky gervais both come to mind as comedians who use words that could be considered racist, but i don't think most people would consider them to be racists themselves)



JS, you've pretty much summed up my view on it in your interpretation right there.

1. To me there is no difference between racial humour and racist humour because the former is by definition a species of the latter
2. I never laugh at racist jokes, not because I'm being a PC idelaist, I just genuinely don't find them funny. And I pull people up on them. Have done for decades, since I was a London police
officer in fact.
As a young Irish Catholic man of socialist views and a young cop in London the mid 80s I simply got fed up with the endless round of malicious Irish jokes, always told by English and Scottish bigots with an axe to grind about the Irish in Britain and the situation in Northern Ireland, and so I started fighting back. Even pulling up fellow officers.

3. I am firmly of the opinion that if you laugh at a racist joke and you don't pull up the teller then you are a racist. It's as simple as that.

It's black & white for me my friend, there are no grey areas. You either let racism wash over you in the form of unchallenged jokes and racist slurs about your own work colleagues or you take a stand and challenge it!

I challenge it every time!
post #75 of 134
^^Do you know what racism even is (serious question)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My London's trip = All you need to know