• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As much as we love the way this sofa looks and feels, we have to replace it.

It came delivered with random colored pencil marks and a white paint stain on the leather. Knoll sent someone to remove the stains, but he wound up breaking through the leather surface with some kind of chemical abrasive, leaving it sueded in some parts. To fix the damage, they sent a second guy from Spinneybeck (the leather supplier itself); he managed to cover up a lot of problem areas with a pigment spray, but he couldn't fully undo the sueding. Yesterday, we noticed that the stuff he sprayed on is beginning to peel off in layers.

This ordeal has lasted over two months. Now, Knoll wants to refund us for the entire sofa; they are unwilling to replace it.

I'm shocked by the shoddy service and product quality, so we are happy to take our money elsewhere. Still, the Florence Knoll is our favorite design. For that reason, we may try to re-order the sofa, but in a different fabric or leather--probably fabric, because we're scared of the leather now.

So, two questions:

(1) If we stay with the Florence Knoll sofa and pick a fabric for it, what kind of longevity and durability can we expect? We are leaning toward a heather grey. I like the cream boucle, but my wife is afraid it will just get dirty. Anyone have experience with Knoll textiles or Spinneybeck leather that can lend some insight? Is our experience with their leather a fluke?

(2) Are there any suggestions for alternative sofas? We want something very well made, low profile, and with neat, slim lines. Curves and fat cushions are not our thing. Of course, we'd like something modern--but the age of the design doesn't matter.

Thanks!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That sucks. This is my favorite fixed configuration sofa.
9136.2C3CEBB6.jpg

dave

Reaction score
Check Ligne Roset.

They have a floor model here in Dallas that I've been lusting after but don't have the coin for it yet. Look into the Stricto Sensu. it's fairly light and definitely modern. the upholstery books are never-ending so def. plan to spend some time looking them over. the one I am after is a medium grey heather with self-colored backrest cushions and orange accents. it's a sectional like the purpleish and green one in the photos on the site.

http://www.ligne-roset-usa.com/Produ...ensu_1059.aspx

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That sucks.

Yes, that sums it up pretty nicely.

9136.2C3CEBB6.jpg

Not bad. I'll show it to my wife see what she thinks, but I'm not a big fan of the mounded cushions and the relatively wide arm rests. Who makes it and how's the quality?

Originally Posted by dave
Check Ligne Roset.

Hmm, we didn't look there before. Some interesting stuff on the site; looks like it would be worthwhile to visit their showroom.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Not bad. I'll show it to my wife see what she thinks, but I'm not a big fan of the mounded cushions and the relatively wide arm rests. Who makes it and how's the quality?

Cappellini Elan. Quality is good. The sofa is really modern looking in person, and goes well with mid-century stuff. The designer, Jasper Morrison, is somebody you will either love or hate, but I think he is one of the very best around, and certainly worth checking out.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cappellini Elan. Quality is good. The sofa is really modern looking in person, and goes well with mid-century stuff. The designer, Jasper Morrison, is somebody you will either love or hate, but I think he is one of the very best around, and certainly worth checking out.

There's a lot of Jasper Morrison stuff we like; I just don't recall this sofa. What do you know about Zannotta?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Who the **** hates Jasper Morrison?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a lot of Jasper Morrison stuff we like; I just don't recall this sofa. What do you know about Zannotta?
Zanotta makes nice stuff. I think Fuuma should get one of their Quaderna desks for his place. The problem is that much of it has a very massive look, and you say your place is the size of a foyer. Their Bohemien would probably work, but it isn't as simple as the Elan, and as such is not as good for me.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Who the **** hates Jasper Morrison?
A lot of people who think that "modern" has to be gadgety, or that it has to look like Roche Bobois. They think they aren't getting enough for their money with Morrison. Think Tom Dixon fan who does not get Tom Dixon.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Zanotta makes nice stuff. I think Fuuma should get one of their Quaderna desks for his place. The problem is that much of it has a very massive look, and you say your place is the size of a foyer. Their Bohemien would probably work, but it isn't as simple as the Alma, and as such is not as good for me.

What about the Kilt?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about the Kilt?
I prefer things that look light, and that have some visible space under them, so the Kilt isn't my favorite, but that is totally personal. Not sure why, but I've always like this a lot:
15985.A53AB534.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer things that look light, and that have some visible space under them, so the Kilt isn't my favorite, but that is totally personal.

I like things to look light too, and I see what you're saying about visible space underneath. But I don't like when the legs of the sofa are very inset; it tends to appear top heavy to me. Of course, I suppose in real life, inset legs would be less visible in the first place.

As far as the Kilt goes, I think it looks better in modular form, or at least open-ended on one side. With two arms, it does look a bit bulky. Mainly, I like the straight, perpendicular lines.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Modern" furniture.
sarcasm.gif

Sorry it'd didn't work out for you though 'Foo.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Knoll. Unfortunately, your experience with Knoll (the company) isn't uncommon. My furniture guy went through 3 Platner coffee table bases in a row, all with obvious defects out of the box, and finally gave up.

I assume you're looked through the Cassina catalog as well? Starck has a Knoll-lookalike called the Volage, but the leg treatment has his ironic retro twist on it, and may not be appealing to you. I like and have the Nest in a heather-ish boucle, but it looks best out in the room instead of against the wall. They're kind of everywhere, but what about the Le Corbusier LC couch?

If you have the time, you may want to find a vintage Knoll, and have it reupholstered by someone reputable since you really like the couch.

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Sorry to hear about your Knoll. Unfortunately, your experience with Knoll (the company) isn't uncommon. My furniture guy went through 3 Platner coffee table bases in a row, all with obvious defects out of the box, and finally gave up.

Sad. I was under the impression Knoll made good stuff.

Originally Posted by A Y
I assume you're looked through the Cassina catalog as well? Starck has a Knoll-lookalike called the Volage, but the leg treatment has his ironic retro twist on it, and may not be appealing to you. I like and have the Nest in a heather-ish boucle, but it looks best out in the room instead of against the wall. They're kind of everywhere, but what about the Le Corbusier LC couch?

Hmm, I'll have to take a look into it. But to be frank, I really don't like Starck. I don't really like the LC couch; too bulky.

Originally Posted by A Y
If you have the time, you may want to find a vintage Knoll, and have it reupholstered by someone reputable since you really like the couch.

Has production quality gotten worse? I like how solid and heavy our sofa feels; it's just the leather that's bad. I think we'd probably switch to a new fabric-upholstered version before going vintage.

summej2

Reaction score
Wow, that does suck. You went with Spinneybeck Sabrina right? Ours has held up really well. On the other hand, it does have a light coating, unlike, e.g., Spinneybeck Arizona, and if the first guy removed that there is little that could be done to replace it in-situ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads