Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thomas Pink
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thomas Pink - Page 3

post #31 of 42
Quote:
I agree that a button isn't a huge deal. However, at the time, I was quite pissed that this was on a brand new shirt, that I'd paid full price for. Further, it was somewhat upsetting when I told the sales person that the only thing that would keep me as a customer was a new shirt, that night, because it takes me about 2hrs r/t to go there, and having to do that trip again another day, to pick up the shirt after tailoring, because of their f-up in the first place. They just said that they were sorry, it was policy, and were quite happy to let me walk out the door never to return. To me, that was piss poor form on their part. I had my eye on at least three other shirts that I'm now not going to buy. The goodwill created there would have sold me one of them that night, and the others in due course. Very unprofessional, IMO.

This is what happens when you let yourself get too emotional. It was obviously very hard for you to think rationally given that you were so upset. Unfortunately, this is an issue which could have been settled much easier, especially if you had just taken the shirts to a local tailor to have them tighten the buttons. Once again, I understand the frustration, but Thomas Pink did nothing wrong in not letting you get a brand new shirt. They offered to repair the shirt, and that was fully acceptable. If you were so upset that you had to drive two hours to go there, then you should have just taken the shirt to a local tailor close by to you, or asked Thomas Pink if they would ship the shirt back to your home for even a small charge. This really was not a situation where your level of emotion should have been as high as it was.
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink22m
This is what happens when you let yourself get too emotional. It was obviously very hard for you to think rationally given that you were so upset. Unfortunately, this is an issue which could have been settled much easier, especially if you had just taken the shirts to a local tailor to have them tighten the buttons. Once again, I understand the frustration, but Thomas Pink did nothing wrong in not letting you get a brand new shirt. They offered to repair the shirt, and that was fully acceptable. If you were so upset that you had to drive two hours to go there, then you should have just taken the shirt to a local tailor close by to you, or asked Thomas Pink if they would ship the shirt back to your home for even a small charge. This really was not a situation where your level of emotion should have been as high as it was.


I think we have to agree to disagree. People accepting sub-par quality will lead more and more once-fine brands to cut more and more QC corners. Me, I'm gonna' find someone else, someone who will get it right the first time.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
I think we have to agree to disagree. People accepting sub-par quality will lead more and more once-fine brands to cut more and more QC corners. Me, I'm gonna' find someone else, someone who will get it right the first time.

That is fine. The customer isn't always right. Your comment about sub par quality reinforces that notion. You might be right in thinking that Thomas Pink has below average quality, but not because of a loose button. Their use of inferior materials and tailoring methods, such as plastic buttons and double needle stitching, is a much more accurate guage of quality, or lack thereof in this case. Having a loose button is not an indicator of poor quality necessarily. A loose button can happen on a $350 Luigi Borrelli shirt. However, I doubt you will ever see a Luigi Borrelli shirt with plastic buttons or double needle stitching.

Myself, I used to like Thomas Pink alot, especially when I first started getting heavily interested in clothes. Thomas Pink was a nice change from the overall homogeneity of shirt offerings from the likes of Nordstrom or Macy's. I still have three Pink shirts that I wear on occasion, each one being four years old. Although my tastes have become much more discerning and descriminating, I am quite happy and somewhat suprised with the way the shirts have held up. I do not, however, intend to buy anymore Pink shirts, mainly for the reasons regarding construction, tailoring, and fit.
post #34 of 42
One of my bespoke shirts had one fall after the first wearing. So I took it back and had it resewn. It took maybe three minutes. Buttons will fall off even on the best shirts.
post #35 of 42
Not to make any judgments or anything here, but really, learn how to sew on your own fallen buttons. Once I sew them on they never fall off again, and it takes less time than driving the shirt somewhere to have them do it.

Use cotton glace' thread (the waxed kind for quilting) and once you wash them the thread will shrink up into an impenetrable knot that just won't unravel. Thanks to Alex Kabbaz for that tip.
post #36 of 42
While a button coming undone is in of itself not a big deal, I think Pink is at fault here. When a company that sells primarily based on brand image (of an upscale shirt maker, which Pink is definitely not), they better give better customer service than they did.

You're better off not buying Pink shirts DPG, their are much better shirtmakers out there, ones that would at the very least sew the button on and mail you the shirt at their own cost.
post #37 of 42
Beat it and learn how to sew on a button

RJ: I don't have a CPE contract, but I can't still buy Charvet. Besides, Charvet and Hermès are still the epitome of a petit bourgeois brands for many french people

!luc
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Besides, Charvet and Hermès are still the epitome of a petit bourgeois brands for many french people
!luc
Interesting, could you elaborate a little ?
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake

You're better off not buying Pink shirts DPG, their are much better shirtmakers out there, ones that would at the very least sew the button on and mail you the shirt at their own cost.


I have stuck with them because nothing fits me better than a Pink slim fit. However, the tailor I use to alter suits makes bespoke shirts, and has indicated that they can be had for under the $165 I pay for Pink shirts, so I will most likely give that a try for a shirt.

whoopee- as to your point, I think this was slightly different. I would not expect another bespoke shirt, that just isn't practical. That was made by hand, and can be fixed by such. What irks me is when I get an assembly line shirt, and I know that I just happened to be the 1 in 1000 who got the one that slipped past QC, that gets me.
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
RJ: I don't have a CPE contract, but I can't still buy Charvet. Besides, Charvet and Hermès are still the epitome of a petit bourgeois brands for many french people !luc
Funny, I thought they had been replaced by Hildeetch and Dunheel.

Seriously, I'd be interested to hear more. Not being de souche francaise, and being quite inescapably middle class -- as is almost everyone else on these boards, whether they accept it or not -- I'll accept being petit-bourgeois. After all, a nation of them overcame Napoleon.
post #41 of 42
Where can Hilditch & Key shirts be had in NYC?

TIA,
grim.
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Besides, Charvet and Hermès are still the epitome of a petit bourgeois brands for many french people
Really? Maybe for Hermès ties (a look that I will forever associate with a high school teacher of mine), but Charvet??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thomas Pink