or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I - Page 765  

post #11461 of 11974
Not to beat a dead topic, but I just read this in someone's signature and wanted to address it--

Quote:
Superbobo - The whole concept of dressing for someone else (the ladies) just means that you isnt interested in clothes and style for its own sake, but only as an instrument.. so why not just bro it out as much as possible, to get the mall -brand women that you seem to like?

What's the point of dressing ourselves? So that we're not naked. What's the point in dressing nicer than the bare essentials? For ourselves? So that we feel good about ourselves?

Unless I'm crazy, isn't it for the reaction of others? Why else would you post here bobo, or anyone else for that matter? It is an instrument-- if there wasn't anyone to look at our clothes then why would we try? Dressing nice for yourself and so that you feel good translates to feeling good around others. I don't dress nice to sit around at home and feel good about myself, and I don't think anyone else does either.

All for the sake of debate of course-- I don't want "mall brand women"
post #11462 of 11974
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye GB View Post
Ahhh, I'm fighting the urge to not be a snob but I'm impelled to clarify that the tee is not Trunk Ltd. All my band tees are either pick ups from shows, thrift or vintage. Found this particular tee at a vintage store in LA that thankfully not too many people venture to.
As for the belt, the buckle is rather boring, just a solid black inlay stamped "Dior Homme" in a 12pt font with a 1/8" silver frame.

Sure about the shirt. And you don't have a secret stash of Avril Lavigne CDs, nor do you cry to "My Heart Will Go on" either
post #11463 of 11974
Quote:
Originally Posted by razuel View Post
Unless I'm crazy, isn't it for the reaction of others?
very very few people have any sense of clothing quality. VERY few. The vast majority would probably believe timpoblete if he told them the Bedford came from Old Navy. It's not about the reaction of others (beyond a certain point: "hey I like your ____" or whatever). Its about engaging with a certain aesthetic and building a style you yourself appreciate. If you don't get it you should just quit now. Your money will be better spent elsewhere/
post #11464 of 11974
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by razuel View Post
I don't dress nice to sit around at home and feel good about myself, and I don't think anyone else does either.

Actually, I do. I've actually put something on, watched a bit of whatever game was on, and then changed at halftime or between periods because something just didn't mesh and was distracting me.

Edit: I don't expect many people to get clothes the way I do, either. I am interested in dressing myself satisfactorily, obviously, but truthfull, I am more interested in the abstract aspects of clothing than I am in my personal appearance.
post #11465 of 11974
Quote:
Originally Posted by razuel View Post
What's the point of dressing ourselves? So that we're not naked. What's the point in dressing nicer than the bare essentials? For ourselves? So that we feel good about ourselves? Unless I'm crazy, isn't it for the reaction of others? Why else would you post here bobo, or anyone else for that matter? It is an instrument-- if there wasn't anyone to look at our clothes then why would we try? Dressing nice for yourself and so that you feel good translates to feeling good around others. I don't dress nice to sit around at home and feel good about myself, and I don't think anyone else does either. All for the sake of debate of course-- I don't want "mall brand women"
A lot of it is for details that we appreciate ourselves. I'm not sure that most people could tell the difference between a Merona and Brioni suit, at a glance, but certainly the wearer can. Most of the time, people don't wear stealth wealth brands so that random people can identify them, because it won't happen. If you want people to know how expensive your clothes are, you might need to take this approach:
post #11466 of 11974
Quote:
Originally Posted by razuel View Post
Unless I'm crazy, isn't it for the reaction of others?
post #11467 of 11974
Brick camouflage shirt! (Zara shirt, random sort of eggshell-colored heathered t-shirt, RRDG, Bronx)
post #11468 of 11974
Quote:
Originally Posted by razuel View Post
What's the point of dressing ourselves? So that we're not naked. What's the point in dressing nicer than the bare essentials? For ourselves? So that we feel good about ourselves? Unless I'm crazy, isn't it for the reaction of others?
We'll just say for the sake of the argument that you're currently a member of a forum where 99.99% don't feel the way you do when it comes to clothing. That's fine and it may or may not change. It doesn't make you crazy, it just makes you the minority here. Everyone here has their own anecdote of how they came to dress for the reasons they do. I personally like to "suit-up" on two days: the day I'm stressing out of my mind and the day I'm out doing absolutely nothing. The reason being similar to LAG's idea of something not meshing but more that it's one less distraction in my mind, one less complication I don't have to worry about. It's hard to have a shitty attitude when you actually like how you look. It's funny that you refer to clothing as "an instrument."
Quote:
if there wasn't anyone to look at our clothes then why would we try?
I'm a musician and I can promise you that when I play it's for myself regardless if I'm on stage or not. I don't really care if people like how I play or what I play but if they like it then it's a cherry on top. I think the problem here is that clothes aren't a hobby for you but rather an end to a means. Let's change "clothes" to "playing basketball," "painting," "writing," "cooking," or anything else people like to do. Do you think a cook is crazy for preparing food for himself and not a restaurant? Are all artists only working for commissions? This could go ad nauseum.
post #11469 of 11974
^^^^
end topic - I don't think anyone could have said it better than Whodini just did
post #11470 of 11974
For once, I agree with who?
post #11471 of 11974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye GB View Post
Ahhh, I'm fighting the urge to not be a snob but I'm impelled to clarify that the tee is not Trunk Ltd. All my band tees are either pick ups from shows, thrift or vintage. Found this particular tee at a vintage store in LA that thankfully not too many people venture to.
As for the belt, the buckle is rather boring, just a solid black inlay stamped "Dior Homme" in a 12pt font with a 1/8" silver frame.

Rye: I didn't think it was a Trunk Ltd. t-shirt but I figured I would ask. I heard some of the original Rolling Stones t-shirts are going for a couple hundred bucks a piece which is crazy...I bet a lot of people wished they held onto them.

Where did you pick up the Dior belt from?

Berlin: That necklace is a great touch, IMO.
post #11472 of 11974
GS, Sauce, reminding us once again what this thread is about! Great fits guys. Inspiring.
Tim, +3 on buttoned. But really, the jacket open doesn't look bad either.
Rye, if I succumbed to buying a pair of Diors it'll be your fault.
post #11473 of 11974


n(n)
attachment
raf simons
visvim
post #11474 of 11974
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post
Rye: Where did you pick up the Dior belt from?
Printemps in Paris.
post #11475 of 11974
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin report View Post
GS, Sauce, reminding us once again what this thread is about! Great fits guys. Inspiring. Tim, +3 on buttoned. But really, the jacket open doesn't look bad either. Rye, if I succumbed to buying a pair of Diors it'll be your fault.
Danke Sir. Sie sind große Jeans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I