or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Decent Tailor in Philadelphia?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Decent Tailor in Philadelphia?

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone,
I attend college in Philadelphia and will be buying two suits in the next week or two for interviews and when I start to work. I am a pretty slender guy and on a budget so no MTM or anything for me.
Anyways, I am looking for a decent tailor in Philly preferably downtown because I do not own a car. Probably just some hems, bringing shirts/coat in etc nothing too drastic and I don't want to spend much because my suits will probably top out around $400.
Any recommendations?
post #2 of 44
check out the royal custom tailor at juniper and walnut. 123 S Juniper St Philadelphia, PA 19107 Phone: (215) 732-6760 nice guy, i've had several pairs of pants hemmed/taken out etc. and he's always been great.
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post
check out the royal custom tailor at juniper and walnut.

123 S Juniper St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 732-6760

nice guy, i've had several pairs of pants hemmed/taken out etc. and he's always been great.

he's pretty expensive imo, but maybe i'm just spoiled by cheap chinese tailors. I'd give richard chae a try, he's gotten good reviews on this forum. 142 S 15th Street,
post #4 of 44
I'm drawing a blank on his name right now, but I've used the tailor at Westbury Cleaners on 15th and Spruce (215.735.2938). He's a nice, old school Italian guy -- he does all of the tailoring, and seems to run the place with his wife. I called BB downtown and asked for a recommendation, and that was where they sent me. He does a very nice job -- I've taken 4 suits and 1 topcoat there, and been pleased with all.
post #5 of 44
IF you can get a ride somehow, try Joseph Centofanti. He is regarded as one of the best in the area. It's about a 20min ride out of the city. There is also a train station right behind his shop.


Centofanti Custom Tailors
7 Station Ave.
Ardmore, PA 19003
Tel: 610-642-1926
post #6 of 44
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the recommendations. Phillyesq what are the general rates at Westbury cleaners?
May also check out that place in Ardmore I think the R5 stops right there (take it to get to the apple store and coldstone)
Thanks
post #7 of 44
Try Ventresca's. Don't know their location. Ask for Len
post #8 of 44
I am actually looking for one in the area as well and Ardmore is closer to my current location then Philadelphia so I appreciate this information too. My family used to go an old school Italian tailor back in the day who has since retired and since then I haven't had a go-to. How are his prices?

I found this article on Joseph Centafanti (which I believe is the same as the one listed above) for those interested.

http://www.robbreport.com/archived-i...?article=12007
post #9 of 44
I go to Cappelli Tailors in wayne right on lancaster ave. He hand-sewed my rlpl sc sleeves beautifully, for a very reasonable price. i've taken dozens of items to him and never had a complaint, either on performance or price.
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by haithman View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations. Phillyesq what are the general rates at Westbury cleaners?
May also check out that place in Ardmore I think the R5 stops right there (take it to get to the apple store and coldstone)
Thanks

I believe that I paid $30/suit last time I was there. That include hemming the pants and adding a cuff, sewing buttons onto the jacket, and perhaps minor alterations to the sleeves. I've had some more significant alterations on suits (taking in a jacket, taking in waist, hemming and adding cuffs, and adjusting sleeves) for about $55, if I recall correctly.
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post
Try Ventresca's. Don't know their location. Ask for Len


They have moved from their original place in Elkins Park to Doylestown, PA. Quite a hike, more than an hour away from Philly. But I did hear good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonio028 View Post
I am actually looking for one in the area as well and Ardmore is closer to my current location then Philadelphia so I appreciate this information too. My family used to go an old school Italian tailor back in the day who has since retired and since then I haven't had a go-to. How are his prices?

I found this article on Joseph Centafanti (which I believe is the same as the one listed above) for those interested.

http://www.robbreport.com/archived-i...?article=12007


Yes, he is the same tailor from your link. His prices are kinda high. But Centofanti does fantastic work. I have brought 4 suits to him and each have cost around $200 (w/ working button holes). I am still waiting for a suit to be done and it's going to cost me around $250 (w/ working buttons).
post #12 of 44
Centofanti never charges more than other tailors so far as I know for the same thing. But he ends up doing more to make the results perfect. I have wasted good clothes going elsewhere. The guy in the Westbury is very good, but very moody and difficult, as are supposedly most Neapolitan tailors. Chae is not so hot.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoneo View Post
They have moved from their original place in Elkins Park to Doylestown, PA. Quite a hike, more than an hour away from Philly. But I did hear good things..

They are two brothers, Len and Frank. Frank closed his store and relocated to Lens location.

(215) 348-3139

145 West State Street
Doylestown PA 18901
post #14 of 44
^^ Sounds interesting Anybody know of a good tailor in the Suburban Wilmington area, or West Chester?
post #15 of 44
I don't recommend Royal Custom Tailors. He did a bad job with tailoring a SC. He fought me over sleeve length and didn't want to fix the bunching problem in the back. I had to ask him three times to raise the sleeves and he barely did enough. Even though he has fabric and seems to be able to make suits, I asked him about canvassing and he seemed to not know what I was talking about. And by the handiwork that he did with tailoring my suit, I would think twice about using him again. On the other hand, the in house tailor at the RL store did a great job. Maybe you can find out who she is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Decent Tailor in Philadelphia?