or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Boxer Briefs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boxer Briefs

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Is it "normal" for boxer briefs to ride up? I like the feel of them most of the time, but every time I sit/get-up I have to pull mine back down my thigh. I'm about to throw out the few that I have, but want to check if anyone knows of any brands that stay put. Or perhaps I need to buy a bigger/smaller size?
post #2 of 20
Ive had that problem with certain brands, it also could be caused by a ill fit as well. I took the advice of someone on this forum and tried the Merona brand at target and have been happy so far. I like the sports version there btw.
post #3 of 20
My suggestion would be to look for one that aren't made of cotton, or have a significant amount of lycra/spandex in them. Calvin Klein Techs are great (though possibly discontinued). I've found Ralph Lauren Polo "Stretch to Fit" ones suck and ride up/stretch out a lot. Dan
post #4 of 20
That is usually caused by a rise which is too short for your proportions - especially in this era of low-cut. Look at my site and learn the various proportions which are available. Find something which would seem to work better for you. It sounds like the 252/846 Classic Boxer style might fill the bill and you can see it here: http://www.customshirt1.com/ZM252_01Boxers.htm Then check some of the larger underwear sites (HisRoom, UnderU, SimplyMan) and see if you can find a brand in your price range with a model which looks like it has a longer rise. The other suggestion, as noted above, would be a fitted model containing at least a portion of Lycra such as the 700/1343 Closed Fly Pant: http://www.customshirt1.com/ZM700_01All.htm A wide range of manufacturers have some sort of model similar to this one. Of course, there are always our bespoke boxers @ $165 ea.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
That is usually caused by a rise which is too short for your proportions - especially in this era of low-cut. Look at my site and learn the various proportions which are available. Find something which would seem to work better for you. It sounds like the 252/846 Classic Boxer style might fill the bill and you can see it here: http://www.customshirt1.com/ZM252_01Boxers.htm Then check some of the larger underwear sites (HisRoom, UnderU, SimplyMan) and see if you can find a brand in your price range with a model which looks like it has a longer rise. The other suggestion, as noted above, would be a fitted model containing at least a portion of Lycra such as the 700/1343 Closed Fly Pant: http://www.customshirt1.com/ZM700_01All.htm A wide range of manufacturers have some sort of model similar to this one. Of course, there are always our bespoke boxers @ $165 ea.
Thanks guys. I'll look into different-fabric ones for sure. I'll try different sizes as well, but I think I naturally have a lower rise. My underwear tends to often show "bunching" between waist band and crotch, and many pants are "crotchy" on me. (My body proportions tend toward longer limbs and a shorter torso, which I've heard would give me a shorter rise for my height, but I could be wrong.) I forgot to mention that my BBs mostly ride up on my left leg; they stay put on my right one. Not sure what this means. Anyway, thanks again.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
I think I naturally have a lower rise.
I'm sorry, KDH, I read your original post backwards. I didn't realize the problem was the reverse of what I answered. Might I ask whether your boxers are knitted or woven? Also, do you have particularly muscular thighs? If I knew these answers I would be able to advise you better. Also why, if riding up your leg is a problem, why don't you switch to briefs? Alex
post #7 of 20
Two ways I have found to overcome the "hitching up" expereince: (1) get then with spandex. All of mine with spandex have never ridden up. (2) ensure the trunk ends fall below the groin level when laid flat. The longer the trunk ends the less likely I have found them to ride up.
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
(2) ensure the trunk ends fall below the groin level when laid flat. The longer the trunk ends the less likely I have found them to ride up.
Yes, I've thought about this myself. I'm definitely trying longer ones if I buy another pair.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
(2) ensure the trunk ends fall below the groin level when laid flat. The longer the trunk ends the less likely I have found them to ride up.
Odd. I mean, I suppose it depends on how you wear your pants, but this, to me, seems like it would have the opposite effect. Extra material back there, means easier to snag on you pants and ride up due to movement. Then they bunch up in the back. No? Dan
post #10 of 20
The only ones I've tried that don't ride up are my Coolmax ones from Nautica Competition. I don't know if they even make them anymore, since I bought them on clearance a while back.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Might I ask whether your boxers are knitted or woven? Also, do you have particularly muscular thighs? If I knew these answers I would be able to advise you better. Also why, if riding up your leg is a problem, why don't you switch to briefs? Alex
Not sure if my BBs are knitted/woven; I have 100% cotton ones (lower end from discount stores) from makers like Polo, Calvin Klein, and 2xist. Also, I don't think I have muscular/big thighs; they might actually be on the thin side (Levis 501s don't look tight on me). Most of my underwear are briefs. I just thought I'd give something else a try a couple of months ago, so I bought a few "cheap" BBs to see what all the fuss was about. I'll give them one more chance though, by buying something along the lines of the suggestions in this thread.
post #12 of 20
Spandex is key - I've been shamelessly touting UnderArmour products for quite a while on this Board - check them out. Panzer
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Spandex is key - I've been shamelessly touting UnderArmour products for quite a while on this Board - check them out. Panzer
UnderArmour is great stuff. I've been looking for some similar stuff that isn't quite as pricey. No luck as of yet. Any ideas for briefs of the UnderArmour nature?
post #14 of 20
I'll third the Under Armour recommendations.  Their wicking material is better than any of the others that I've tried and the boxer briefs have long legs so they don't ride as much.  I won't wear anything else anymore. I got all of mine from one particular seller on ebay.  I managed to win a couple of his auctions at really low prices way back before UA was popular.  I've since bought a number of items directly from him at a moderate discount from MSRP.  If you're interested, I can send you his contact info. dan
post #15 of 20
Quote:
I've since bought a number of items directly from him at a moderate discount from MSRP.  If you're interested, I can send you his contact info. dan
Thanks Dan. Please send me the info. My email is in my profile, or you can PM me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Boxer Briefs