or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › anyone looking for a classic black knit tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

anyone looking for a classic black knit tie?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
kinda interesting, thought i'd pass this one along. i have one (ben silver) already-- necessary to every gent's wardrobe, i think: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....09&rd=1
post #2 of 11
What do you wear yours with, Foxx? I got the black and yellow Paul Stuart grenadines off ebay last week. I wanted the the black as a funeral tie (work related and all), but will look for other excuses to wear it.
post #3 of 11
What would you not wear it with? That's like the blue blazer of ties. I haven't made an effort to get one yet, but when I find one, I will definitely consider breaking my $5 barrier to acquire it.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
What do you wear yours with, Foxx? I got the black and yellow Paul Stuart grenadines off ebay last week. I wanted the the black as a funeral tie (work related and all), but will look for other excuses to wear it.
I wear both black grenadine and a black knit, square end with a navy blue suit and white shirt, or sometimes light blue shirt. I think it looks swell. Also same can be done with grey suit -- either cambridge or oxford grey.
post #5 of 11
No thanks, I already have one from T&A. Jon.
post #6 of 11
Its a bit wide
post #7 of 11
Well, it's about US$60...and you can get a new knit from J. Press for $55 or a grenadine for $65. Or, better yet, wait for their end-of-season sale (if you can) and get either for 25% off. The press ties are 3.5". "The blue blazer of ties..." Wish I'd come up with that one.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
No thanks, I already have one from T&A. Jon.
Well then....
post #9 of 11
I bought a square-end black silk knit tie a few weeks ago at Paul Stuart as a gift for a more traditionally inclined family member. Cost about $60. Seems a bit less formal than the grenadine (as suitable for a button-down shirt, sport jacket and loafers as for a suit). At least if you're me, it's a bit harder to get a good knot. Still, classic and goes well with just about anything. And it won't wrinkle. Seen on Fred Astaire with an SB navy blazer in "Silk Stockings".
post #10 of 11
Hah. I bought this exact same tie from a Pink store about 2 years ago on sale for $15. They had stacks of them, I guess most people are not into black grenadine. It is actually the only tie I currently own. I wear it with everything -- blue/white/pink shirts, plain and striped, blue suits, grey suits, flannel, tweed, worsted etc. It is very very versatile. I don't need to wear a tie every day, but this one is still going strong. -boston
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Hah. I bought this exact same tie from a Pink store about 2 years ago on sale for $15. They had stacks of them, I guess most people are not into black grenadine. It is actually the only tie I currently own. I wear it with everything -- blue/white/pink shirts, plain and striped, blue suits, grey suits, flannel, tweed, worsted etc. It is very very versatile. I don't need to wear a tie every day, but this one is still going strong. -boston
Now that's minimalism. I like that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › anyone looking for a classic black knit tie?