or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Yacht Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Yacht Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 104
Took this (sorry, iPhone) this morning:

RkLAD.jpg

238ft Lurssen Martha Ann. Very impressive boat. Crew of 20.
post #92 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

This was in SF Bay when I went out last summer. It's much larger than it looks. Our boat was too small to be its dink.


is that a canadian flag?
post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjr View Post

is that a canadian flag?

No

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303695604575181911796253780.html
post #94 of 104
ah, interesting. i've actually read that article before, strange i forgot.
anyways, for commoners like meself, this is a ride i'd like to own one day:
http://www.pursuitboats.com/OS315.htm
210
233
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjr View Post

ah, interesting. i've actually read that article before, strange i forgot.
anyways, for commoners like meself, this is a ride i'd like to own one day:
http://www.pursuitboats.com/OS315.htm
210
233

I don't get why anyone would drop 200K+ on that little POS when you could have a beautiful sailing yacht in the same range. Of course I know next to nothing about boats, and it probably shows.
post #96 of 104
Always wanted to own a yacht...how much does a decent sized one cost? (all in, maintenance, upkeep, etc)
post #97 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

I don't get why anyone would drop 200K+ on that little POS when you could have a beautiful sailing yacht in the same range. Of course I know next to nothing about boats, and it probably shows.

well i'd buy it used, in the $120K range, and this would serve a much better function than a sailing yacht, allowing us to motor our to our cottage on an island in Georgian Bay and rip around the open waters for fishing, scuba, and exploring. I love sailing and if we didn't have a cottage it would make a ton of sense to keep a sailboat in Toronto harbour.
post #98 of 104

I wouldn't consider it a yacht but it is mine. 1959 Dyer 29.
I'm also wrapping up an old catboat restoration on a Legnos Mystic 20. Another "not a yacht" but that's okay.
post #99 of 104

Oh, hey, a boat thread. We should get this renamed because only douchebags call their boats yachts. 

post #100 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin View Post

Always wanted to own a yacht...how much does a decent sized one cost? (all in, maintenance, upkeep, etc)

 

I've always heard that a rough estimate to "keep it floating" each year will cost about 10% of the new price... This is supposed to cover fuel, crew, maintenance, etc. though I'm not sure what size threshold that is applicable for... 

 

Obviously that doesn't cover depreciation. I've also been told that if it floats, flies or fucks, it's cheaper to rent it. 


Edited by SomethingWitty - 7/10/14 at 11:04am
post #101 of 104
I remember Donald trump once said that it cost $250k to fill up his yacht, which was why he sold it.
post #102 of 104

All of those boats burn fuel at an obscene rate. Your average 50ish foot mcyacht will burn a gallon every 30 seconds underway. On the really big ones the tanks are so big and contribute so much ballast that they need to be filled with water as they empty or the boat would sit too high and roll. 

post #103 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

I remember Donald trump once said that it cost $250k to fill up his yacht, which was why he sold it.

Just wiki'd it and Trump's yacht originally cost $100MM (he bought it used for $29MM; that hurts), so it would cost about $10MM to keep it fueled and crewed... Based on a $250k fill-up, that sounds about right. 

post #104 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post


I don't get why anyone would drop 200K+ on that little POS when you could have a beautiful sailing yacht in the same range. Of course I know next to nothing about boats, and it probably shows.

Totally for different purposes, Living on the coast that would be a nice offshore fishing boat, however yes for 200k is much you can find similar or used for much better price 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Yacht Thread