or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Donegal jacket - fully lined or not?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Donegal jacket - fully lined or not? - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusvs View Post
Looks very good Bill. It's not scratchy at all?


My jacket is still being made up. The first one in that thread is for another customer, while the M&M from 1936 that is quarter (or "buggy") lined in that thread is an antique collected by pejsek.

I went with a full Bemberg lining. It seemed pointless to lighten up such a substantial tweed.


- B
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusvs View Post
I was in quite a lot of shops today (New Year's sale started today), and while I made no particular sales bargains, I did see a lot of Donegal tweed jackets with quarter lining only. Borrelli for example had them all quarter lined. Not too bad actually. Hmm, thought I had decided on fully lined, but now I got confused...

Are you sure the Borrelli jackets were real tweed? Anyway, the high-end RTW makers like to do a partial lining because it is falsely associated with higher quality--even when it may not be the optimal choice for the particular jacket.
post #18 of 37
My tweeds are quarter lined for the same reason my mohairs and frescos are quarter lined. It promotes air circulation.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
My tweeds are quarter lined for the same reason my mohairs and frescos are quarter lined. It promotes air circulation.

Do they still drape okay?
post #20 of 37
I find that unlined jackets tend to wrinkle more and bag more. The sturdier the cloth, the less this will happen. So, getting a tweed unlined is not likely to make much of a difference, except on really soft Shetlands.

I would worry about the hard, loose tweed fibers catching on my shirt and making the jacket feel "stiff" to wear, but as I don't have any unlined tweed, that is just speculation.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Do they still drape okay?

They drape fine. The lightest of them is 15 ounces.

I did have my 10.5 ounce Breanish fully lined.
post #22 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Are you sure the Borrelli jackets were real tweed? Anyway, the high-end RTW makers like to do a partial lining because it is falsely associated with higher quality--even when it may not be the optimal choice for the particular jacket.

Yes, they were real tweed for sure. Anyway, I agree with your thoughts on the false connection to better quality - you have made me change my mind once again - fully lined it is.
post #23 of 37
I saw an unlined tweed at Borrelli in SF recently. I didn't ask what the cloth was, but it looked substantial.
post #24 of 37
I would not get tweed quarter lined. There is just no benefit in it, and I tend to prefer unlined jackets in general.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I would not get tweed quarter lined. There is just no benefit in it, and I tend to prefer unlined jackets in general.

You are wrong, it is more modern, and can be worn in the city.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
You are wrong, it is more modern, and can be worn in the city.
Before this week, I always had considered myself a modern dresser, despite my love of tweed. Actually, I still do, I just am confused as to what that actually means.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Before this week, I always had considered myself a modern dresser, despite my love of tweed. Actually, I still do, I just am confused as to what that actually means.

Modern men get quarter lined tweed jackets so they can feel the San Francisco wind.
post #28 of 37
Personally I'd go fully lined on any tweed.
post #29 of 37
I considered having the London Lounge Gun Check made up with a 1/4 lining but Raphael advised against it. He felt a cloth of this weight would wear much more comfortably with a lining.
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Modern men get quarter lined tweed jackets so they can feel the San Francisco wind.

You are the wind beneath my tweed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Donegal jacket - fully lined or not?