• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
I always wear my pants under my tummy like where the fat of the stomach rolls over and stops... top of the pelvis.
I guess that's why I have to get a really short length and then hem them even more after I buy them. Like usually I get 38x30 or 38x29 and get them tailored a little shorter so I don't trip on them.

My mom says you're supposed to wear it on your actual stomach/tummy.. like under the belly button.. That feels weird for me and look like I have a really small upper body.

needler

Reaction score
I do the same thing.. I don't have a gut, but my pants end up falling down to that point on my pelvis unless I pull the belt really tight anyway. For a while I thought I had disproportionately short legs.

yo!

Reaction score
Unfortunately, modern apparel is made to be worn below the waist in an attempt to make the wearer look less fat. However, usually this makes it worse because now the gut is flopping over the waist line and there is nothing to keep the pants up.

The proper fit of pants should be pretty high compared to what most guys are used to. I like mine to be regular rise, not high rise, or low rise. For me this means it fits an inch or so below the naval.

And pants that are made to be worn high (either mid rise or low rise) will stay up. The problem of them falling down means that they were not made to be worn up. I have a pair of high-waisted pants and they fit relatively loosely yet, can stay up all day without a belt.

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
Luckily the bottom of my gut/tummy is perpendicular to my chest/pelvis surface... so it's not flopping over. I'm more wide and don't have a HUGE tummy.. I'm fat all over heh

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing worse visually than seeing trousers that were designed to be worn at the natural waist hanging down to the top of the ass. It looks awful. Some trousers have naturally low rises, and they look fine a few inches below the natural waist. However, if you are going to do this, please be sure the trousers you are wearing were designed to be worn low. Otherwise you look like the Radio Shack guy with the Louis Raphael wool blend dress pants hanging down to the top of the buttocks..

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeeze, are you like 12 years old or something?

Who uses the term tummy? I outgrew that at the age of 8!

Grow up, lose some weight, and wear your pants at your true waist.

F475

Reaction score
Pants?.. Usually on the lower half of my body.

Satin_boxer_shorts_sag_01.jpg

13955518.jpg

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Nothing worse visually than seeing trousers that were designed to be worn at the natural waist hanging down to the top of the ass. It looks awful. Some trousers have naturally low rises, and they look fine a few inches below the natural waist. However, if you are going to do this, please be sure the trousers you are wearing were designed to be worn low. Otherwise you look like the Radio Shack guy with the Louis Raphael wool blend dress pants hanging down to the top of the buttocks..

I have no idea what a natural waist is, what low or mid or high rise means etc can yhou explain?

I have no way of telling how or what people are wearing...

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Jeeze, are you like 12 years old or something?

Who uses the term tummy? I outgrew that at the age of 8!

Grow up, lose some weight, and wear your pants at your true waist.

And like i said, if i wear my pants around my belly button it feels really weird and makes me look I have no upper body

and thanks for telling me to lose weight so I can be just like every other super skinny pancake tummy guy that looks like they're only 3" thick out there

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz

And like i said, if i wear my pants around my belly button it feels really weird and makes me look I have no upper body

and thanks for telling me to lose weight so I can be just like every other super skinny pancake tummy guy that looks like they're only 3" thick out there

You love the word tummy don't you?

Steggy

Reaction score
i wear my pants at the top of ****** i suppose. whatever the OP has his at basically. i always feel goofy if i wear it right below the belly button.

though i mostly only wear jeans or khaki's while most of you older gents wear your don corleone suits and whatnot.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my trousers so that the crotch of the trousers is at my crotch, where it's supposed to be, and let that determine where the waistband ends up. I have low-rise jeans that sit on my hips, and I've got a Polo RL suit with trousers that almost hug my lower ribs.

I sell clothing for a living, and nothing looks more ridiculous, IMO, than when a guy puts on a pair of trousers cut for the waist and belts them around his hips like jeans, so that there's three inches of fabric hanging down below his crotch.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The waistband seam should rest at or above your hip bone. Higher or lower than that is for style.

Will Knowles

Reaction score
My trouser waistband sits at the highest point on my pelvis, about 1" below my navel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads