or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The sport coat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The sport coat - Page 5

post #61 of 286
It was interesting going into Wilkes Bashford with Manton and iammatt in their tweeds (brown herringbone on Manton, a big plaid with lots of green on iammatt) as well, because the sales staff there probably exemplified FNB's slicker, city look, and I don't think the tweeds looked out of place. Personally, I prefer how M&M dressed because the sales staff (as is probably appropriate for a clothing store) came off as too affected.

If I were the OP, I'd look through some Kiton and Borrelli marketing material to see how they present sportcoats. Zegna's sportcoats are nice, but very conservative and a bit dowdy. And it's definitely a modern thing to assimilate elements from disparate places, so a plaid sportcoat done right (ie. it fits you) will look appropriate in the city.

--Andre
post #62 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
It was interesting going into Wilkes Bashford with Manton and iammatt in their tweeds (brown herringbone on Manton, a big plaid with lots of green on iammatt) as well, because the sales staff there probably exemplified FNB's slicker, city look, and I don't think the tweeds looked out of place. Personally, I prefer how M&M dressed because the sales staff (as is probably appropriate for a clothing store) came off as too affected.

If I were the OP, I'd look through some Kiton and Borrelli marketing material to see how they present sportcoats. Zegna's sportcoats are nice, but very conservative and a bit dowdy. And it's definitely a modern thing to assimilate elements from disparate places, so a plaid sportcoat done right (ie. it fits you) will look appropriate in the city.

--Andre

what is FNB ?
post #63 of 286
^^Film Noir Buff
post #64 of 286
Thread Starter 


not bad although i dont like the tie - eredi pisano
post #65 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
It was interesting going into Wilkes Bashford with Manton and iammatt in their tweeds (brown herringbone on Manton, a big plaid with lots of green on iammatt) as well, because the sales staff there probably exemplified FNB's slicker, city look, and I don't think the tweeds looked out of place. Personally, I prefer how M&M dressed because the sales staff (as is probably appropriate for a clothing store) came off as too affected.

If I were the OP, I'd look through some Kiton and Borrelli marketing material to see how they present sportcoats. Zegna's sportcoats are nice, but very conservative and a bit dowdy. And it's definitely a modern thing to assimilate elements from disparate places, so a plaid sportcoat done right (ie. it fits you) will look appropriate in the city.

--Andre

wait so, FNB, Manton, Matt, and yourself all went out in NYC this past weekend?
post #66 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
wait so, FNB, Manton, Matt, and yourself all went out in NYC this past weekend?


post #67 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
wait so, FNB, Manton, Matt, and yourself all went out in NYC this past weekend?

That would be big time.

--Andre
post #68 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
wait so, FNB, Manton, Matt, and yourself all went out in NYC this past weekend?

post #69 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
Nothing wrong, except rampant i-gent-ism. I think there's some folks having flashbacks to the nasty blue serge polyester slacks of their youth.

My father didn't wear blue pants or black clothing, and would ridicule me for doing ap, so it became kind of ingrained.

As for the people at wilkes, I don't think they had seen a non cashmere jacket in years, and were shocked that mine was wool. There is one really good dresser there, bill, but we didn't see him.
post #70 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
Nothing wrong, except rampant i-gent-ism. I think there's some folks having flashbacks to the nasty blue serge polyester slacks of their youth.

Youth?

- B
post #71 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
That would be big time.

--Andre

No, not unless the finest shirtmaker of humanity also showed up.


- B
post #72 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
No, not unless the finest shirtmaker of humanity also showed up.


- B

"Shirtmaker of humanity." Interesting concept. Do explain.
post #73 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Youth?

- B

Do tell.
post #74 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambparker View Post
"Shirtmaker of humanity." Interesting concept. Do explain.

EZ, he makes shirts out of humans.
post #75 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
EZ, he makes shirts out of humans.

Better than the alternative, I suppose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The sport coat