or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide - Page 6

post #76 of 437
The info about Purple Label being MTM only is bogus too.
post #77 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminc View Post
On Bleeker, the button stance is higher than normal. Black Label button stance is low. Purple Label button stance is the middle ground.

There are different models of Purple Label suits too. Madison, Savile Row and Drake AFAIK. Madison is cut slightly fuller and Drake is cut slimmer.

How does one distinguish different RLPL cuts? I have suits with reverse double pleats (I imagine those are Madison) and have plain front suit,which could be Drake. Tags don't say anything as far as the cut of the suit,would be interesting to know more.
post #78 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post
How does one distinguish different RLPL cuts? I have suits with reverse double pleats (I imagine those are Madison) and have plain front suit,which could be Drake. Tags don't say anything as far as the cut of the suit,would be interesting to know more.
The model name is written on the inside chest pocket tag, in the form of coat/pants <MODEL NAME> <EXTRA DESCRIPTION> <# OF BUTTONS> <STYLE> / <EXTRA DES> <MODEL NAME> <???> So far I have seen SAVLR, MADISIN, DRAKE, JONATHAN for model name, 2BT, 3BT, 4BT for number of buttons SB, DB, HK (hacking), PK (peak lapel) for style For the extra descriptions, I've seen TUX and FRML for pants models, I have seen MDN, JRD
post #79 of 437
nice post
post #80 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
...fit...

Polo III - double vent, 2 button, ticket pocket
Polo IV - double vent, 3 button, ticket pocket (slightly higher arm holes, so feels trimmer about the chest)


I would add Jerome III and IV from the now defunct RL Signature blue label line which are similar to the corresponding Polo model, though have in my experience even higher arm holes and trimmer fit
post #81 of 437
Nice post.
post #82 of 437
I just got an RRL sportcoat and am wondering who the maker is. None of the funky western styling details that another member posted. 3 roll 2, surgeon's cuffs... single rear vent. From the Fall 2006 Bowery Collection. Photos below.







Thoughts?
post #83 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLlikes View Post
I just got an RRL sportcoat and am wondering who the maker is. None of the funky western styling details that another member posted. 3 roll 2, surgeon's cuffs... single rear vent. From the Fall 2006 Bowery Collection. Photos below.


Thoughts?

Caruso.
post #84 of 437
Thanks for the confirmation.
post #85 of 437
So Caruso for RR would be (generally) of lower quality than Corneliani for Polo, correct?
post #86 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminc View Post
The model name is written on the inside chest pocket tag, in the form of coat/pants

<MODEL NAME> <EXTRA DESCRIPTION> <# OF BUTTONS> <STYLE> / <EXTRA DES> <MODEL NAME> <???>

So far I have seen
SAVLR, MADISIN, DRAKE, JONATHAN for model name,
2BT, 3BT, 4BT for number of buttons
SB, DB, HK (hacking), PK (peak lapel) for style

For the extra descriptions, I've seen TUX and FRML

for pants models, I have seen MDN, JRD

Great,thanks.So I have SAVLR and DRAKE.MADISIN probably has a fuller cut and drake is probably the slimmest cut.
I tried couple of PL suits the other day at RL store and they didn't have any inside tags although SAs claimed that they were St. Andrews made so go figure.
post #87 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
So Caruso for RR would be (generally) of lower quality than Corneliani for Polo, correct?

probably not
while both Caruso and corneliani have various lines and will make to spec for RL, most of the caruso made jackets/suits I've seen (under multiple labels) are superior to Corneliani, but it's a matter of what fits you better IMO
post #88 of 437
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drducky View Post
probably not while both Caruso and corneliani have various lines and will make to spec for RL, most of the caruso made jackets/suits I've seen (under multiple labels) are superior to Corneliani, but it's a matter of what fits you better IMO
I'll go out on a limb here and say that Caruso coats (both those made for the Caruso label and those OEM'ed for other labels) are in general, of slightly better construction than Corneliani coats (both those made for the higher end Corneliani label and those OEM'ed for other labels) as determined by the fineness and subtleness of the handwork on the lapels and around pockets, pattern matching, and variation between jackets of the same model/size. I know Corneliani makes some fused coats, but am not sure about Caruso. Both house cuts are also definitely quite a bit different - I've found Caruso to be cut slimmer in general than Corneliani. Caruso does however, at times, use odd fabric of questionable quality - there are a few suits/coats out there with wool/synthetic blends that have an odd feel (to me). That said, IMO both labels are definitely in the 'higher tiers' of Italian sartoria.
post #89 of 437
I bought from RL :

1) a cashmere cords VERY thick jumper, purple label for 99,99 euros
2) a cashmere thin jumper, purple label for 59,99 euros
3) 3 pairs or corduroy pants in olive, purple label for 39,00 each

Are these good prices or I have been scamed by RL ?
post #90 of 437
This is a fantastic post! I was wondering, (and I haven't seen it anywhere) if anyone has information on the origins of RLBL and RLPL shirts and whether or not there is a fit guide for the different cuts on RLPL shirts. I've noticed that some are slimmer and some are fuller cut and it would be helpful to identify (maybe via the cut number on the tag?) which ones are which.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide