or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide - Page 12

post #166 of 445
Who makes the Ralph Lauren Made in Italy shoes? I just bought a pair, they are neither Polo nor Black Label, just Ralph Lauren. They came in a navy box and the "Ralph Lauren" text on the outside looks like the Black Label text, but the box is navy. They have the block letters on the sole, and say "Made in Italy." They are ankle boots retailing for about $900.
post #167 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
Who makes the Ralph Lauren Made in Italy shoes? I just bought a pair, they are neither Polo nor Black Label, just Ralph Lauren. They came in a navy box and the "Ralph Lauren" text on the outside looks like the Black Label text, but the box is navy. They have the block letters on the sole, and say "Made in Italy." They are ankle boots retailing for about $900.

I hope you didn't pay anything close to $900 for them. RL's Italian-made shoes are not as good in quality and workmanship as their English-made ones. I have 2 pairs of RL's Italian-made shoes and they are showing "wear-and-tear" after only a few wears. I wouldn't buy their Italian-made shoes even at deep discount, but would have no problem buying their English-made ones. In fact I recently bought RL's brand new Sheldons (made by C&J) for $200 (regular $600) and I can see why people far prefer English-made shoes over Italian-made ones, at least as far as RL's rebranding is concerned.

SF converted me...
post #168 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
I hope you didn't pay anything close to $900 for them. RL's Italian-made shoes are not as good in quality and workmanship as their English-made ones. I have 2 pairs of RL's Italian-made shoes and they are showing "wear-and-tear" after only a few wears. I wouldn't buy their Italian-made shoes even at deep discount, but would have no problem buying their English-made ones. In fact I recently bought RL's brand new Sheldons (made by C&J) for $200 (regular $600) and I can see why people far prefer English-made shoes over Italian-made ones, at least as far as RL's rebranding is concerned.

SF converted me...

Well, mine were $134.50, so they don't have to be the best... I'm sort of surprised that the C&J ones retail for significantly less (though these were ankle boots, not regular shoes) if they're constructed that much better.
post #169 of 445
thanks
post #170 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
Well, mine were $134.50.

You can't lose at that price... :-)
post #171 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
You can't lose at that price... :-)

If only they were one of the EG models. I might have drawn wood right there in the store .
post #172 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
If only they were one of the EG models. I might have drawn wood right there in the store .

You and many SFers...
post #173 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
You and many SFers...

Mine were definitely a step above these (I can see just by looking at them):

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

and were more similar in style to these (same writing on bottom but all leather, no rubber):

http://www.bluefly.com/Ralph-Lauren-...401/detail.fly

Mine, however, were side-zips and have a removable harness.
post #174 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
I hope you didn't pay anything close to $900 for them. RL's Italian-made shoes are not as good in quality and workmanship as their English-made ones. I have 2 pairs of RL's Italian-made shoes and they are showing "wear-and-tear" after only a few wears. I wouldn't buy their Italian-made shoes even at deep discount, but would have no problem buying their English-made ones. In fact I recently bought RL's brand new Sheldons (made by C&J) for $200 (regular $600) and I can see why people far prefer English-made shoes over Italian-made ones, at least as far as RL's rebranding is concerned.

SF converted me...

I disagree, I have same Italian brand that made for BG and RLPL, the BG were inferior to the RLPL one (and much much cheaper), but they stood the time very well (at least once a week for the past 5~6 month). I have only been wearing the RLPL one for about 1 month now (again, at least once a week), but can't see how the better construct version will be worse.

Now as to my EGs, they worked just as well in the same time span, same goes with my Sutor Mantellassi, even though people here tend to think EG makes waaaaaaay better shoes than either. Of course it's entirely possible I just don't use them that hard, but I work in NYC, so I think it's a pretty fair testground for shoes, things can get beat up pretty bad here...
post #175 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
RL's Italian-made shoes are not as good in quality and workmanship as their English-made ones.

Agree 100%
post #176 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbris1 View Post
Agree 100%

But would you still classify them as being as good or better than most of the Italian made shoes found in dept. stores like Saks, Neimans, etc? (I'm thinking Prada, Gucci, Ferragamo, Dolce, Armani)
post #177 of 445
The two pairs I've owned (RL Italy) were not worth keeping and re-soling IMHO. The ones I own that were made in England definitely are, YMMV. As far as in comparison to the other brands you've mentioned, I have no idea.
post #178 of 445
There are 2 different quality and price-points for the RL Italian stuff. There is the REAL RLPL stuff, which retails for around $1100. Then there is the cheap stuff for around $4-600. The cheaper line isn't worth more that $200. I wouldn't pay over $150 for them. The higher-end stuff is definitely superior in construction and finish. It is close to EG quality. Definitely better quality than C&J for RL stuff. Styling is totally different, so you can't really compare.
post #179 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel222 View Post
There are 2 different quality and price-points for the RL Italian stuff. There is the REAL RLPL stuff, which retails for around $1100. Then there is the cheap stuff for around $4-600. The cheaper line isn't worth more that $200. I wouldn't pay over $150 for them. The higher-end stuff is definitely superior in construction and finish. It is close to EG quality. Definitely better quality than C&J for RL stuff. Styling is totally different, so you can't really compare.

+1, the RLPL Made in Italian stuff are excellent in my opinion, and yes they retail at $1100+...
post #180 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
Well, mine were $134.50,

Style?

(maybe even some pics - I've been looking for a pair of cheap boots)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide