or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Let's abolish religion!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's abolish religion! - Page 3

post #31 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan Jr. View Post
I can't. He knows Kung Fu.

Yeah, but he met him years before he developed his martial arts system.
post #32 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post
A world w/o religion would have far fewer hospitals, schools, orphanages, soup kitchens, thrift stores, counselors, conflict negotiators, community organizers, homes for various social outcasts (elderly, mentally and physically handicapped, delinquent kids), etc..



That's hilarious considering that some of the countries with the best health care systems, schools, infrastructure, and least amount of economic disparity (and crime) are extremely un-religious countries. Consider the Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries. None of what you said is valid.
post #33 of 158
I have no problem with each individual person having thier own views,ideas,etc.., what I have a problem with is that stupidity and ignorance breeds stupidity/ignorange. It takes one moron to spread his stupidity to other morons, then we have a nation full of morons. For ex. the democratic party, communism, socialism, liberalism.
The communists also dont believe in religion, calling it "the narcotic of the people", why?, because there can be no spirituality or inteligence when it comes to making robots of your citizens. They want to make everyone equal. I hate to burst your bubble, but we are not all equal, some people are smarter than others, some are wealthier than others, and some are prettier than others, thats life! Thats how the Lord made us.
You start this thread, and you gave your opinion. I think I should be able to state my opinion without you berating me for my views . But Im not supprised, its typical leftist/defeatist behavior.
Whether its God, or Allah, or Buddha, or whoever people pray to, religion is nessessary to lay down morale laws for the people.
post #34 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
Whether its God, or Allah, or Buddha, or whoever people pray to, religion is nessessary to lay down morale laws for the people.

Name a single moral act that can not be committed by a rational person who has no faith.

Now name an immoral act perpatrated by a religious person.

Easy question. Hitchens asks it all the time.
post #35 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Name a single moral act that can not be committed by a rational person who has no faith.

Now name an immoral act perpatrated by a religious person.

Easy question. Hitchens asks it all the time.


What I mean to say is, without religion, people are more likely to be immoral and evil when there is no threat of what kind of punishmenet awaits them from thier God. I dont mean to say that all religious people are upstanding/fine cirizens, that is rediculous.
Someone brought up the Scandanavians before. They where barbarians in every sense of the word. They pillaged and raped with total diregard for human life. Then you look at the far advanced culture of the Greco/Romans with thier gods/goddesses, who valued life in every way. Alexander The Great didnt go around anihilating cultures after he conquered them, he allowed them to live, that is what religion brings.
Constantine The Great, the reason their is organized Christianity today, didnt go around slaughtering conquered people.
post #36 of 158
I'm torn if discussions like this are a good thing or a bad thing. It is good to share perspectives and some day, hopefully, humanity will peacefully work these issues out. However, most often these discussions result in insults, frustration, and/or hard feelings.
post #37 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
What I mean to say is, without religion, people are more likely to be immoral and evil when there is no threat of what kind of punishmenet awaits them from thier God.
.

What if one's religion is to above all love truth ... does that lead to immorality?
post #38 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
What I mean to say is, without religion, people are more likely to be immoral and evil when there is no threat of what kind of punishmenet awaits them from thier God. I dont mean to say that all religious people are upstanding/fine cirizens, that is rediculous.
Someone brought up the Scandanavians before. They where barbarians in every sense of the word. They pillaged and raped with total diregard for human life. Then you look at the far advanced culture of the Greco/Romans with thier gods/goddesses, who valued life in every way. Alexander The Great didnt go around anihilating cultures after he conquered them, he allowed them to live, that is what religion brings.
Constantine The Great, the reason their is organized Christianity today, didnt go around slaughtering conquered people.

At the time that the Scandinavian people were barbarians, the rest of the world was too. They also had a complex system of polytheism, just like the Greeks and Romans. If you actually think that the Greeks and Romans valued human life, then you are beyond retarded. You may actually be the most stupid, misguided person on this forum, and that is saying something. First you don't know that Norse mythology existed just like Greek mythology, then you imply that as a result of this complex set of fairy tales, that they were more englightened?

I'm talking about religion today. Scandinavian countries represent some of the most peaceful nations on earth, and a great deal of their population lack any sort of religion. Meanwhile, countries with plenty of religion, including the united states, are decidedly warlike.

None of your arguments demonstrated even a grade 2 knowledge of history or the reading comprehension or critical thinking skills of even a caveman. You are a failure of our education system, and are the very reason that people like Sarah Palin exist. You are a plague.
post #39 of 158
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
It takes one moron to spread his stupidity to other morons, then we have a nation full of morons. For ex. the democratic party, communism, socialism, liberalism.
The communists also dont believe in religion, calling it "the narcotic of the people", why?, because there can be no spirituality or inteligence when it comes to making robots of your citizens.

Communism is one of the most beautiful ideological visions; Total equality and complete happiness. It failed miserable in our world today, but ideologically speaking it had some brilliant ideas. Religion is indeed a narcotic of the many, because it clouds reasoning. Communism promoted intelligence and religion does nothing but step away from reasonable thought. The democratic party and liberalism also have freedom in it's roots; is that really so moronic for people to think for themselves instead of blindly following the words of a man in a big hat and a book?

Quote:
They want to make everyone equal. I hate to burst your bubble, but we are not all equal, some people are smarter than others, some are wealthier than others, and some are prettier than others, thats life!

Is that not what religion is doing? I could swear I read something in the bible that said "and all men are equal in the vision of god almighty."

Quote:
Thats how the Lord made us.

Yea I'm sure about that

Quote:
You start this thread, and you gave your opinion. I think I should be able to state my opinion without you berating me for my views.

I welcome any opinion no matter how different it is from mine(unlike MANY religious people.) This is however a discussion forum and I see nothing wrong with debuting each others arguments. After all debate breeds sober results.

Quote:
But Im not supprised, its typical leftist/defeatist behavior.

Neither am I, excessive stereotypes are common in uneducated people or those who fail to be able to defend the reasoning behind their stance.

Quote:
What I mean to say is, without religion, people are more likely to be immoral and evil when there is no threat of what kind of punishmenet awaits them from thier God. I dont mean to say that all religious people are upstanding/fine cirizens, that is rediculous.

I disagree with an idea to preach something that has no scientific base to the masses that can have such a powerful effect on their life. People should live and enjoy their life instead of being scared of going to hell.

One point that always bugged me, and perhaps one can clarify it for me is this. God is all-powerful, all-knowing being; He put us humans on this earth to live. Why do we need to pray to him, if he truly is the higher power would he not be above basic human needs such as a need for flattery?

And also, why did he make some people "bad" in the first place, what is his gain from this?
post #40 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Name a single moral act that can not be committed by a rational person who has no faith.

Now name an immoral act perpatrated by a religious person.

Easy question. Hitchens asks it all the time.
Read what he wrote, asshole. Religious folks have great morale because of church. I think it is all the cheering.
post #41 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
At the time that the Scandinavian people were barbarians, the rest of the world was too. They also had a complex system of polytheism, just like the Greeks and Romans. If you actually think that the Greeks and Romans valued human life, then you are beyond retarded. You may actually be the most stupid, misguided person on this forum, and that is saying something. First you don't know that Norse mythology existed just like Greek mythology, then you imply that as a result of this complex set of fairy tales, that they were more englightened?

I'm talking about religion today. Scandinavian countries represent some of the most peaceful nations on earth, and a great deal of their population lack any sort of religion. Meanwhile, countries with plenty of religion, including the united states, are decidedly warlike.

None of your arguments demonstrated even a grade 2 knowledge of history or the reading comprehension or critical thinking skills of even a caveman. You are a failure of our education system, and are the very reason that people like Sarah Palin exist. You are a plague.


If you are comparing the ancient Romans with ancient Scandanavians, then you are the retarded one. Everything we have today we owe it to the Greco/Romans. Speech, Democracy, Medicine,Law, Christianity, Philosophy, there is just too much too list. The Romans domesticated the world, to them everyone else was a barbarian(war-like, un-hygenic,grunting animals).
Re-read your history, the fall of the Roman empire started when barbaric peoples started to infiltrate everyday Roman society.
I originally answered this thread to get a good discussion going, but its turned to mudslinging and name calling. It seems to me, you didnt want a discussion at all, what you wanted was to state what you believe in, and f**k everyone who doesnt think like you. Like I said before, typical.
post #42 of 158
Funny, I was thinking about Hitchen's argument that Religion is bad last night and told my wife that even if it were banned, I doubt it would matter. People would just come up with another reason to start wars, kill and hate. It's just human nature.
post #43 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
Religion has been almost abolished in America. Our kids are not allowed to Pray in schools, its not called Christmas vacation anymore for fear of offending someone. I say screw em! someone is offended? TOO BAD! get over it, thats life!
Without religion we might as well bring back the tower of babel, and sodom and gommorah, and live in sheer lawlessness, with pinko/commies running the world.
Without religion, you leftists out there better start believing in The right to bear arms, because for most people, religion is is only thing keeping them from commiting crimes against other people.

Just think, folks, without religion, people like this wouldn't have a club to join.
post #44 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
Religion has been almost abolished in America. Our kids are not allowed to Pray in schools, its not called Christmas vacation anymore for fear of offending someone. I say screw em! someone is offended? TOO BAD! get over it, thats life!
Without religion we might as well bring back the tower of babel, and sodom and gommorah, and live in sheer lawlessness, with pinko/commies running the world.
Without religion, you leftists out there better start believing in The right to bear arms, because for most people, religion is is only thing keeping them from commiting crimes against other people.

Bill O'Reilly - Is that you?
post #45 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
If you are comparing the ancient Romans with ancient Scandanavians, then you are the retarded one. Everything we have today we owe it to the Greco/Romans. Speech, Democracy, Medicine,Law, Christianity, Philosophy, there is just too much too list. The Romans domesticated the world, to them everyone else was a barbarian(war-like, un-hygenic,grunting animals).
Re-read your history, the fall of the Roman empire started when barbaric peoples started to infiltrate everyday Roman society.
I originally answered this thread to get a good discussion going, but its turned to mudslinging and name calling. It seems to me, you didnt want a discussion at all, what you wanted was to state what you believe in, and f**k everyone who doesnt think like you. Like I said before, typical.

ok for all the supposedly civilized acts the romans and greeks they had barbaric tendencies and acted upon them as well, yes they are basis for the for modern european culture. and using the norsemen is convienient as well around roughly the same time in history the crusades were occurring and they were not pretty both sidec committed barbaric acts, but the muslims in general were the civilized ones compared to the christian invaders.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Let's abolish religion!