I'm a UK charterered accountant and I've had a few jobs, some of which I liked, some I did not. Here is the basic rundown of my career to date:
- BSc Accounting & Economics at university.
- Job 1: 3 year chartered accountancy training contract for mid sized accounting firm. Very enjoyable, working with some great people, lots of responsibility to run my own small clients. Mix of real accounting, accounting systems implementation, tax and audit work.
- Job 2: audit in a big 4 firm in south west UK, joining as a newly qualified assistant manager. Totally boring, tedious, risk averse, hierarchical place to be. Loathed it, lasted 2 years though.
- Job 3: move to senior manager corporate finance role in same firm but in the large London office. Loved it. Huge variety of interesting work, dealing with very senior clients who are usually doing the "deal of a lifetime", great team of bright young guys who worked hard, played hard.
- Job 4: 2 years in corporate finance in Sydney, Australia, for same firm, as Assistant Director and then promoted to Director. Fun but starting to take on a lot of responsibility.
- Job 5: return to London as Director. Starting to get serious now. More time selling than "doing". Invited to start partnership process but decide to try something else.
- Job 6: Head of Financial Analysis for global insurance company's UK ops. Bloody terrible job. "Head of trying to make sense of utter garbage from broken and decrepit systems which have never been upgraded" is a better description. Lasted 18 months before invited to apply for:
- Job 7: Head of business development & strategy for UK operations. My current role, based in head office of the same insurance company in Paris. Fantastic job. Interesting, diverse, challenging, empowering, well paid, working with a number of geniuses on a daily basis. Best by far.
So that's my potted CV. What's next? No idea.