• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magna/summa *** laude on resume

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this something people generally do?

I would imagine "*** laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.

Mr. Macaque

Reaction score
First job: yes. Second job: yes. Third job and thereafter: no.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Most people who graduate *** laude just say they graduated with honors. Put it for your first couple of jobs and then don't bother.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I list *** laude on mine. I used to think it was common until I started working and saw a bunch of resumes whenever I did recruiting. I realized that most people never graduate anywhere near 3.5GPA.

My school was *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.8, and summa at 4.0.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
I list *** laude on mine. I used to think it was common until I started working and saw a bunch of resumes whenever I did recruiting. I realized that most people never graduate anywhere near 3.5GPA. My school was *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.8, and summa at 4.0.
Yeah, I guess that is true. There are, what, 4,000 colleges in the U.S.? The actual number of honors degrees granted must be pretty small.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can put it on there, but just listing the actual GPA, if it is notably high, is far more common.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Is this something people generally do? I would imagine "*** laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.
Too bad, Cunny, that you don't go to one of those snooty schools that don't even calculate a GPA OR put it on a transcript unless specifically requested. They don't even have "Summa *** laude" or whatever. When only your university's initials are enough....
wink.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Too bad, Cunny, that you don't go to one of those snooty schools that don't even calculate a GPA OR put it on a transcript unless specifically requested. They don't even have "Summa *** laude" or whatever. When only your university's initials are enough....
wink.gif

They do both idiot. I'm sure the elite institution you're currently studying at does this too...
crackup[1].gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They do both idiot. I'm sure the elite institution you're currently studying at does this too...
crackup[1].gif

Oh, snarl, Cunny, snarl.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this something people generally do?

I would imagine "*** laude" is typically left off as it is pretty common, right? Most schools I am familiar with grant *** laude at 3.5, magna at 3.7 and summa at 3.9. But I don't know.

What's the point of listing any of those if you went to Ohio St.?

That's like saying, o, I got the award for being the skinniest kid at obesity camp.

Everyone at HYP has *** laude, they hand them out like condoms at a highschool health class, but at least they're worth something.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
What's the point of listing any of those if you went to Ohio St.? That's like saying, o, I got the award for being the skinniest kid at obesity camp. Everyone at HYP has *** laude, they hand them out like condoms at a highschool health class, but at least they're worth something.
I should just put "B.A., State School, Don't Hire Me" on my resume.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cunny, I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

If a firm decides that your masochistic, fawning, frightened, reaching, pseudo/proto/quasi/Waspy-wannabe alcoholic, flamingly homosexual tendencies don't disqualify you from the job... then where you got your degree will probably not be a problem.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should just put "B.A., State School, Don't Hire Me" on my resume.

Why waste the ink? Just put OSU, and make sure it's printed on 100% recycled paper so that they can see that even though your degree is useless, you're socially conscious enough to know exactly where the C.V. is going. Maybe you can get some points with environmentalists that way.

HR at high powered jobs might look at that C.V. and at least call you for an interview since you evidently have a sense of humor.

OR

Transfer like I ******* told you and stop bitching about doing an extra year and have a degree that isn't just evidence of your own good education but also something that is worth something to other people. If we only went to university for ourselves, we would need nothing more than a library card and an internet connection. Degrees are often more for other people than for yourself.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, if you are insecure about your school, transfer.

So many whiners who are disappointed in themselves for what sorry school they got into do nothing about it, when in fact they could do so much. The process is self-selecting, I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads