• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justice

nostrings

Reaction score
I'm posting this here because I don't have enough points to visit the Money, Power, Blah-blah forum:
My question has to do with the notion of Justice and I'm using the names David and Goliath for illustrative purposes.

Goliath: a person of politcal power and social influence. Goliath has many friends in similar positions and likes to make regular display of his position, generally at the expense of those who are less powerful. Goliath's friends think he's just swell.

David: a working-class person with no political or socially 'connected' friends. David has a profession. He does his job well and likes to make regular display of his affection for evening fires and red wine.

The Question:
In a situation where an David's well-being is jeopardized by Goliath, what tools would David have at his disposal to ensure his quality of life and home?

My own guess is that David will NOT benefit from a legal system that favors his opponent, and will eventually be compelled to find a sling, or some other kind of equalizer to save himself.
fight[1].gif

Would anyone care to offer their insight?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nostrings

The Question:
In a situation where an David's well-being is jeopardized by Goliath, what tools would David have at his disposal to ensure his quality of life and home?

My own guess is that David will NOT benefit from a legal system that favors his opponent, and will eventually be compelled to find a sling, or some other kind of equalizer to save himself.
fight[1].gif

Would anyone care to offer their insight?

So violence is the answer? Interesting. Would not Goliath, logically, from the paradigm you have created, have access to RPGs and full on machine guns vs. David's sling? Internally inconsistent proposition, IMO.

nostrings

Reaction score
Well, I was hoping for a serious response...

anyone?

PolePosition

Reaction score
Come up with a better scenario, it is flawed. Then you'll get a better response. I've got alot of opinions on justice and would like a discussion, but your opening does not lend itself well to a good discussion lol.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Isn't that just the situation, the US has its liberal gun-laws for?

nostrings

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know in what way the scenario is flawed.

How's this for a condensed version then?:
To what extent is justice available to the middle and lower classes when opposed to the upper crust of society?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

To what extent is justice available to the middle and lower classes when opposed to the upper crust of society?

To put it crudely you'll have two important factors; a) the legal situation itself and b) how much $$$ you can throw at it. David is ************ if he is lacking in both areas compared to his opponent.. So yeah our justice system favours those with money, however it does not do it to the exception of everything else.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you seeking justice on an internet forum devoted to welted shoes and a dying tailoring tradition?

nostrings

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
To put it crudely you'll have two important factors; a) the legal situation itself and b) how much $$$ you can throw at it. David is ************ if he is lacking in both areas compared to his opponent.. So yeah our justice system favours those with money, however it does not do it to the exception of everything else.

Thank you.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Define "justice."

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Define "justice."

A french electro/french touch duo with rock sensibilities who are signed to the Ed Banger label and were at the forefront of the recent electro revival?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
A french electro/french touch duo with rock sensibilities who are signed to the Ed Banger label and were at the forefront of the recent electro revival?

More or less where I was going with that.
laugh.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

To the extent that a lot of attorneys will work for contingency fees if David actually has a case against Goliath.

PolePosition

Reaction score

Your scenario is flawed because you present a scenario with a presumption that the law has already sided with Goliath.

Let's get some facts. Heck you can even use a hypothetical situation and make it more narrow. Just because David is a working class man doesn't mean he is right. Just because Goliath has money doesn't mean he will win..... have you even studied law? Both sides win all the time. You have to look at the evidence.

Justice IS available to the middle and lower classes when opposed to the upper classes. Facts matter in trial you know. Sure sometimes money can buy lawyers that know the loopholes and sometimes they win because they are able to trick the jury. But on the flip side rich people have bowed down to justice before. You ever seen a rich man in orange bobo's? I have....good lawyers are still available to those that do not have as much money as their opponent.....and like another person posted, there are also contingency fees and other types of things if the case is strong.

This topic is so broad and without specifics its not even possible to have an intelligent discussion. Just a bunch of people throwing assumptions around......like I said make a stronger scenario. Some of us have studied philosophy and law and would like to talk more about the matter. But as your story stands now, I think your question been sufficiently answered unless there is more that you are seeking.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If David feels "wronged" by a "system" that is "stacked against him" then he's just another crying liberal and he needs to go wet a bed.

If he legitmately has a gripe against Goliath, then he needs to find a good plaintiff's lawyer that will work on a contingency fee. David pays no money until his lawyer gets a settlement or a favorable verdict.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads