or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › justice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

justice - Page 2

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Define "justice."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
A french electro/french touch duo with rock sensibilities who are signed to the Ed Banger label and were at the forefront of the recent electro revival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
More or less where I was going with that.
For great justice!!!
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquik View Post
If David feels "wronged" by a "system" that is "stacked against him" then he's just another crying liberal and he needs to go wet a bed.

If he legitmately has a gripe against Goliath, then he needs to find a good plaintiff's lawyer that will work on a contingency fee. David pays no money until his lawyer gets a settlement or a favorable verdict.

Is it asking too much not to be stupid? While other factors do exist, fact is that having money is a positive factor when you're involved with the judicial system, meaning that how much "justice" you get can also be influenced by socioeconomic status. I doesn't mean it's the ONLY factor or that the system is the most perverted one possible but let's not bullshit ourselves either.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
Is it asking too much not to be stupid? While other factors do exist, fact is that having money is a positive factor when you're involved with the judicial system, meaning that how much "justice" you get can also be influenced by socioeconomic status. I doesn't mean it's the ONLY factor or that the system is the most perverted one possible but let's not bullshit ourselves either.

Yes, but having an actionable case, a real injury that has been inflicted on you by Goliath, matters a lot more than feeling like you're getting a raw deal by life.

If David's well being really is jeopardized by Goliath, then he might be able to get some legal relief. If David is merely a small-town retailor, and Goliath is Wal-Mart, and he feels like competing against Wal-Mart is "unfair" then he's screwed.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Define "justice."

I use the term to describe a restoration of balances.
In this case, someone with an advantage over another engages in an act of agression and I'm interested in opinions on how this story's victim can have protection or thwart the agresser's attempts outright.
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolePosition View Post
Your scenario is flawed because you present a scenario with a presumption that the law has already sided with Goliath.

Let's get some facts. Heck you can even use a hypothetical situation and make it more narrow. Just because David is a working class man doesn't mean he is right. Just because Goliath has money doesn't mean he will win..... have you even studied law? Both sides win all the time. You have to look at the evidence.

Justice IS available to the middle and lower classes when opposed to the upper classes. Facts matter in trial you know. Sure sometimes money can buy lawyers that know the loopholes and sometimes they win because they are able to trick the jury. But on the flip side rich people have bowed down to justice before. You ever seen a rich man in orange bobo's? I have....good lawyers are still available to those that do not have as much money as their opponent.....and like another person posted, there are also contingency fees and other types of things if the case is strong.

This topic is so broad and without specifics its not even possible to have an intelligent discussion. Just a bunch of people throwing assumptions around......like I said make a stronger scenario. Some of us have studied philosophy and law and would like to talk more about the matter. But as your story stands now, I think your question been sufficiently answered unless there is more that you are seeking.

Well, I thought your reply was pretty intelligent, even if my topic was "so broad". Have I studied law? No, I have not. But I've witnessed enough instances of Goliath emerging unscathed because he has either the deepest pockets or the most friends. You say you've seen the rich man in orange bobos? I certainly hope so because that would give me hope.

I'll try to be more specific in the future and I thank you for your response.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrings View Post
I use the term to describe a restoration of balances.
In this case, someone with an advantage over another engages in an act of agression and I'm interested in opinions on how this story's victim can have protection or thwart the agresser's attempts outright.

Really, you're getting more distant from a place that makes sense. An act of of aggression is a pretty vague term. And justice is not a "restoration of balances," in any meaningful sense, that has to deal with your OP scenario, as flawed as it was. Just come out and tell us what you're thinking. You seem to be skirting around the edges of something.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrings View Post
I'd be interested to know in what way the scenario is flawed.

How's this for a condensed version then?:
To what extent is justice available to the middle and lower classes when opposed to the upper crust of society?

Some.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › justice