or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official THRIFT STORE tips and best practices thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official THRIFT STORE tips and best practices thread - Page 4

post #46 of 119
If something is overpriced, I just come back next week and hope it has been marked down. If it's no longer there, then it has sold and I guess... wasn't so overpriced after all? Yeah, it sucks seeing something really nice priced like it's ebay, but at the same time, the store (assuming being run for a charity) has a duty to get the most they can for their donations. I'm not going to rip their tags off... I have complained to the manager before though.
post #47 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post
What a nice bit of Christmas spirit in this post. I commend thee idfnl! The "Be Humble" works like a charm as well. Just dress down in some old jeans and a sweater or t-shirt.
Are you out of your mind? How else will people who shop there because they are poor know that you are not there for the same reason
post #48 of 119
Usually an overpriced item is priced by an unknowing ex-junky. If all the items in the store were priced by the same person then it would be a different story, its only a problem when the items are priced in dribbs and drabbs by different people. An over priced item stands out like a sore thumb when its in a shopful of standard price thift store items.
post #49 of 119
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican View Post
Generally speaking, when I see a price on the tag in a store that I wouldn't be willing to pay, I leave the item behind. I don't switch the tags in an attempt to scam the store out of money.

Especially when the store is a non-profit, run to help addicts in recovery and indigents.

Your line between pocketing ties and switching price tags is ridiculous, and it seems to be fueled by an almost unfathomable sense of entitlement. Seriously pathetic.

I disagree here. There is a difference between stealing and thrift store disobidence.

The point I made originally is that SOME thrift stores have developed an attitude... you know the ones, they ALWAYS seem to have things priced too high and WONT negotiate the price?? Those are the ones I am discussing. There is one store I go to sometimes that always has good prices but occasionaly has an item where I think, hmm, thats pushing it, but I dont make the rip because I know they are fair.

Its the unfair thrifts that need to be put back in line.

Look, I dont pretend this is best behavior, but also dont pretend the thrift store manager doesent have a hand in this. And recall, ladies, this is USED SHIT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT --shit someone saw fit to throw away for a tax break, and DEAD PEOPLES CLOTHES we are buying!!! And a reasonable business should be willing to listen to you when you say its overpriced and take a better price... but some stores wont... those are the ones that need straightening out. I try the honest avenues but sometimes you gotta resort.

Lastly, there are thrifts popping up allover that have nothing to do with 'charity. Under the covers... they may technically be a non-profit... but rest assured that pockets are filling up.
post #50 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
And recall, ladies, this is USED SHIT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT --shit someone saw fit to throw away for a tax break, and DEAD PEOPLES CLOTHES we are buying!!! And a reasonable business should be willing to listen to you when you say its overpriced and take a better price... but some stores wont... those are the ones that need straightening out..

Yet YOU still want to buy them? Because, lemme guess, the same stuff would cost significantly more on eBay and other alternatives? Cry me a river.


Also, you hardly get to negotiate prices in ANY stores, ever. Stop trying to justify this shit.
post #51 of 119
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
Yet YOU still want to buy them? Because, lemme guess, the same stuff would cost significantly more on eBay and other alternatives? Cry me a river.


Also, you hardly get to negotiate prices in ANY stores, ever. Stop trying to justify this shit.

Yes, I do still want it... but at fair value.

And thats just NOT true, I negotiate at all levels of retail stores. In fact its rare they wont haggle. All you have to do is act hesitant about buying it and say "well, I'll buy it if you take 10% off"... works a charm.

I am not justiftying anything, I dont claim its right or nice or fair, it's a way to fight a trend. If you dont agree, dont do it.
post #52 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
Yes, I do still want it... but at fair value.

And thats just NOT true, I negotiate at all levels of retail stores. In fact its rare they wont haggle. All you have to do is act hesitant about buying it and say "well, I'll buy it if you take 10% off"... works a charm.

I am not justiftying anything, I dont claim its right or nice or fair, it's a way to fight a trend. If you dont agree, dont do it.

I hate this passage even more than I hate your original post.
post #53 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevp1 View Post
The thrift store is there, yes, to provide low cost goods to the poor, but even if better off folk make purchases, the money usually goes to another good program the store is involved with, even if that's providing a salary to the people that work there. So I would think they don't mind anyone shopping there, rich or poor. Everyone benefits.

I think most thrift stores around here exist to support charitable organizations and to provide job training for the less skilled and the disabled. I'm not sure it's too important to them who is buying it. The more they sell, the better

That being said, I think there is a difference between someone who is pinching every jacket to see if it is canvassed and someone who needs some warm shoes so they don't get frostbite at the bus stop. I think thrift stores can serve both markets equally well, and are a great service in every facet of their business.

BTW, switching prices and ripping off tags is not only stealing, it's stealing from a charity. For shame.
post #54 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
Are you out of your mind? How else will people who shop there because they are poor know that you are not there for the same reason
Haha, I think it just helps with the "get friendly with the employees" aspect of Thrifting. They aren't likely to easily open up to someone who is dressed in a 3 piece suit with a fedora and Dunhill brief... Besides, as a recent college grad, I AM poor...compared to most on SF at any rate... *EDIT* I do recall in the other Official Thrift Thread that someone once asked a higher up in a charitable organization if they cared that many items are being bought by those who don't have the need: Ebay Flippers, people looking for deals, and the like. The response was that they don't care *WHO* buys the stuff, as long as someone is. Otherwise if an item sits on the shelves too long, no matter how nice it is, it will eventually get trashed.
post #55 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post
*EDIT* I do recall in the other Official Thrift Thread that someone once asked a higher up in a charitable organization if they cared that many items are being bought by those who don't have the need: Ebay Flippers, people looking for deals, and the like. The response was that they don't care *WHO* buys the stuff, as long as someone is. Otherwise if an item sits on the shelves too long, no matter how nice it is, it will eventually get trashed.

Goodwill is my favorite thrift store and the one I know the most about. It does provide the less fortunate with the chance to buy cheap clothes, but its bigger mission is to give jobs and job training to people who otherwise couldn't get them. My father is a special ed teacher, and a lot of his ex-students have found work there at one time or another. The more merchandise the move, the better they can accomplish this, so any shopping done there is good in my opinion.
post #56 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody View Post
Goodwill is my favorite thrift store and the one I know the most about. It does provide the less fortunate with the chance to buy cheap clothes, but its bigger mission is to give jobs and job training to people who otherwise couldn't get them. My father is a special ed teacher, and a lot of his ex-students have found work there at one time or another. The more merchandise the move, the better they can accomplish this, so any shopping done there is good in my opinion.

A downside of this is that most people working there should not be allowed to work in customer service in the first place...Nothing wrong with mentally retarded people getting jobs but instead neochristian ex junkies occupy all the positions and not only do I not want any help from them but even the way they handle merchandise is just embarrassing.
post #57 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
A downside of this is that most people working there should not be allowed to work in customer service in the first place...Nothing wrong with mentally retarded people getting jobs but instead neochristian ex junkies occupy all the positions and not only do I not want any help from them but even the way they handle merchandise is just embarrassing.

Damn, some people in here are just cold.

God forbid someone should try to turn their life around.

My father was a drug-addicted, homeless alcoholic when he was in his early 30s. He got into recovery and is now the chairman of a major NGO doing international aid work in third world countries. If a charity can't give people a second chance, who will?

And this is because you don't like how they handle the merchandise? What do they do, rub a bible on it until it's permanently stained by morality?
post #58 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post
I disagree here. There is a difference between stealing and thrift store disobidence.

The point I made originally is that SOME thrift stores have developed an attitude... you know the ones, they ALWAYS seem to have things priced too high and WONT negotiate the price?? Those are the ones I am discussing. There is one store I go to sometimes that always has good prices but occasionaly has an item where I think, hmm, thats pushing it, but I dont make the rip because I know they are fair.

Its the unfair thrifts that need to be put back in line.

Look, I dont pretend this is best behavior, but also dont pretend the thrift store manager doesent have a hand in this. And recall, ladies, this is USED SHIT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT --shit someone saw fit to throw away for a tax break, and DEAD PEOPLES CLOTHES we are buying!!! And a reasonable business should be willing to listen to you when you say its overpriced and take a better price... but some stores wont... those are the ones that need straightening out. I try the honest avenues but sometimes you gotta resort.

Lastly, there are thrifts popping up allover that have nothing to do with 'charity. Under the covers... they may technically be a non-profit... but rest assured that pockets are filling up.

Straightening out? Seriously? Because they want to decide how much to charge for their goods?

If you don't like the prices a business is charging, you don't buy the item. You don't try to defraud the business! Of course, that applies whether or not the business is a non-profit, but in the non-profit case, it's doubly immoral and shameful.

You're a pathetic guy, who has the self-regard to defraud charities.
post #59 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
A downside of this is that most people working there should not be allowed to work in customer service in the first place...Nothing wrong with mentally retarded people getting jobs but instead neochristian ex junkies occupy all the positions and not only do I not want any help from them but even the way they handle merchandise is just embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican View Post
Damn, some people in here are just cold.

God forbid someone should try to turn their life around.

My father was a drug-addicted, homeless alcoholic when he was in his early 30s. He got into recovery and is now the chairman of a major NGO doing international aid work in third world countries. If a charity can't give people a second chance, who will?

And this is because you don't like how they handle the merchandise? What do they do, rub a bible on it until it's permanently stained by morality?

+1

That was just cold. You want properly pinned and folded shirts or stylish mannequins, go to Niemans. This is a thrift store we're talking about. Yes, some of them are lucky to be able to get a jacket on a hanger, but at least they're trying to work for a living. And what's "neochristian" got to do with buying used clothes? That's an awful intolerant thing to say.

And I think we're waaaaaay of the intended topic of this thread now.
post #60 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevp1 View Post
+1 That was just cold. You want properly pinned and folded shirts or stylish mannequins, go to Niemans. This is a thrift store we're talking about. Yes, some of them are lucky to be able to get a jacket on a hanger, but at least they're trying to work for a living. And what's "neochristian" got to do with buying used clothes? That's an awful intolerant thing to say. And I think we're waaaaaay of the intended topic of this thread now.
Yea..cold..whatever. I am all for giving the homeless a chance but I expect when someone shows up to work for them to be clean, neat, and not offensive to the customers. I expect the same from normal people all the time but the homeless do have it tough,yet it is a job after all. While I might sound judgmental and don't get me wrong a lot of homeless people are intelligent and well mannered I am sick oh hearing that "he knocked that bitch up while he was phased out on ex and how that bitch stole his bible and now holds it ransom till he gives her back his pipe." No, it is not what most homeless people are like but I have seen these employees and have heard similar conversations numerally and it pisses me off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official THRIFT STORE tips and best practices thread