or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Great moments in advertising
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Great moments in advertising

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I just heard an ad on the radio proclaim that "There's never been a better time to visit London." Really? What about five years ago, when the pound was at $1.40 rather than $1.93?
post #2 of 12
$1.93...
post #3 of 12
Quote:
five years ago, when the pound was at $1.40 rather than $1.93
Don't make me cry... Speakign of which, is there ANY credit card that doesn't slap a forex fee on foreign currency purchases? I think I just got billed at more than $2/pound for something.
post #4 of 12
Blame Bush. Luc.
post #5 of 12
Let's not get political. Frenchie.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
A lot of people make a convincing case that the weak dollar is intentional, designed to boost American exports. Of course, the administration denies it, but then they would, wouldn't they ... My question is, Now that the election is over, can we go back to the strong dollar? Please?
post #7 of 12
Weak Dollar + Higher Interest Rates ~>> $$ Out of the "safe investments" and back in the MARKET. Anyway, London is an expensive trip no mater when you take it... When the dollar was stronger, the hotels charged more.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
When the dollar was stronger, the hotels charged more.
This is certainly true. I just went, and a very famous and expensive West End hotel charged me peanuts, relatively speaking. Otherwise, I would not have gone. I well remember when the pound dipped below 1.40 five years ago. It was like getting a $300 rebate on a bespoke suit. And that was when the "normal" exchange was about 1.6. Today, the rebate would be more like $900.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
that was when the "normal" exchange was about 1.6.  Today, the rebate would be more like $900.
That's it. You've made me cry.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
I just heard an ad on the radio proclaim that "There's never been a better time to visit London."
WMAL.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
A lot of people make a convincing case that the weak dollar is intentional, designed to boost American exports.  
And yet the trade deficit continues near its all time record high. My friend (a creative director) coined the term "badvertising" for ads that convey a stupid message or a good message stupidly.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
And yet the trade deficit continues near its all time record high.
Hey, I didn't say it was working. Mistakes can be intentional, after all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Great moments in advertising