or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit - Page 9

post #121 of 712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
His mistake was trying too hard be the next James Bond. The myopic desire for a Tom Ford suit without realizing how unremarkable and ill-fitting it is.

Do a search (its here or at AAAC) I visited the TF boutique and wrote about it on the boards back early this spring, far before I ever saw the suits featured in the new movie
post #122 of 712
Let us know how things go at the TF boutique.
post #123 of 712
Thread Starter 
Will do.

How would you describe this suit shoulder?

post #124 of 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
Will do.

How would you describe this suit shoulder?

Blurry
post #125 of 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
Mr. Fan, what tailor do you think would be best for me in nyc? My requirements are great fitting suit, strong roped shoulders. Lots of waist suppression and slim flat front trousers w side tabs.

Isn't that RL Black Label/Purple Label?

Sorry to put another nail in, but I've seen a few guys leave TF with very nice suits.

lefty
post #126 of 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post
I learned my lesson the hard way a long time ago. I went to a very well known clothing store in Philadelphia to buy two suits for a new job. The problem was I really needed MTM but could not afford it at the time. The SA told me not to worry. They had expert tailors who could easily fit my RTW. In order to accomodate my upper body, I needed a 48L, but my waist was about a 36. Needless to say, when I went to pick up the suit I was was swimming in the pants. They literally fell to the floor if I didn't hold them up. Yet, the tailor and SA acted like this was perfectly acceptable and completely normal. Being a clueless noob, I just tightened up my belt until I learned better a short time later. I still have both suits in my closet to remind me never to go to that particular store ever again.
I'm very skeptical of store tailors, and no longer depend on them to assess how an item looks on me. I, too, have had very reputable salespeople and tailors in high-end stores swear that a suit or other clothing looked great on me, only to realize later that they looked awful. I'll never forget the Oxxford blazer, or the Borrelli suit, or the Prada topcoat that, because I didn't know better at the time, I thought looked great but came to realize they looked like crap on me. Poor fits that the tailor and SA should have recognized immediately. Now I know what to look for on my own.
post #127 of 712
Thread Starter 
la do de
post #128 of 712
^ +1. Style Forum is the great equalizer, giving power back to the consumer
post #129 of 712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot View Post
^ +1. Style Forum is the great equalizer, giving power back to the consumer

post #130 of 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
Yeah. I'm learning quickly but this suit is terrible.

I'm going to LL, Len in NY to meet him and am going to strongly consider becoming a long-term customer of his. From what I understand he favors an angular silhouette and I think I can artiuclate what I want to him which will result in a beautiful suit. Spoke to him on the phone before, very nice guy and no language barriers! Like many of the lower-end tailors I meet @ retail stores.

What you're asking for--a lean, angular suit with roped shoulders--is very general. Depending on what you mean by 'angular', you could get such a suit from almost any tailor. If you think no other details will ever concern you, then I suppose it might not hurt to dive in. But each tailor does things a little differently; taking some time to figure out what matters to you will help you get more satisfying results. This is particularly true if you are working with a tailor that expects the client to micro-manage, maybe less true for one that is more autonomous. But in the case of the latter, you have to be more careful with who you pick at the outset.
post #131 of 712
You want a look that may not be right for your body. You don't have strong shoulders and it looks like you don't have much of a drop with a flared hip. I would have spent time trying on different jackets to see what looks best on you (shoulders: roped, padded, soft, etc.), side or center vent, 2 or 3 button, etc. It looks like a 400 BB suit to me. And I agree on the pants. I think a tailor could probably fix the shoulder personally but I don't think you can ever get the look you have in your head, you have to find what looks best on you instead.
post #132 of 712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
What you're asking for--a lean, angular suit with roped shoulders--is very general. Depending on what you mean by 'angular', you could get such a suit from almost any tailor. If you think no other details will ever concern you, then I suppose it might not hurt to dive in. But each tailor does things a little differently; taking some time to figure out what matters to you will help you get more satisfying results. This is particularly true if you are working with a tailor that expects the client to micro-manage, maybe less true for one that is more autonomous. But in the case of the latter, you have to be more careful with who you pick at the outset.

In general I want a lean suit that is overall structured with structured shoulders perhaps a very subtle roped shoulder .. with slightly larger notched lapels than normal, a very clean looking coat. I'd like the coat to fit closely on the sides of my chest & have a suppressed waist but with the chest swelled a bit. Slight flare to the skirt. High armholes.

I've made a note of all these details to eliminate being too general. I think this is pretty specific.
post #133 of 712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haganah View Post
You want a look that may not be right for your body. You don't have strong shoulders and it looks like you don't have much of a drop with a flared hip. I would have spent time trying on different jackets to see what looks best on you (shoulders: roped, padded, soft, etc.), side or center vent, 2 or 3 button, etc.

It looks like a 400 BB suit to me. And I agree on the pants.

I think a tailor could probably fix the shoulder personally but I don't think you can ever get the look you have in your head, you have to find what looks best on you instead.

I DISAGREE




post #134 of 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke View Post
I DISAGREE




If your intention is to have people peer through a tiny frame as you blind them with a white light then you should be good to go.

Did you ask for 5 buttons on the sleeve or was that their suggestion?

lefty
post #135 of 712
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
If your intention is to have people peer through a tiny frame as you blind them with a white light then you should be good to go.

Did you ask for 5 buttons on the sleeve or was that their suggestion?

lefty

haha, the 5 buttons is something they do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit