or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › High-End Watch Knock-offs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High-End Watch Knock-offs - Page 4

post #46 of 114
seriously, get a real job! i dunno. it's not a big deal. even when i only made 45k a year, i could still afford a nice IWC.
post #47 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by effang View Post
seriously, get a real job!

i dunno. it's not a big deal. even when i only made 45k a year, i could still afford a nice IWC.

Did you have a mortgage?
post #48 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by effang View Post
seriously, get a real job!

i dunno. it's not a big deal. even when i only made 45k a year, i could still afford a nice IWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Did you have mortgages, 3 kids, wife, parents....and last but in no way least....SF????
Fixed.

Regards.
post #49 of 114
Thread Starter 
See...perspective.

I agree that certain folks could pull off a fake & not get a second look whereas others will raise suspicion even after their item was authenticated. It's just the way we are.
post #50 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post
Want a sure fire way of telling if a watch is real, look at the person wearing it. This will work 90% of the time.

Huh? Most Rolex owners I know dress like shit.
post #51 of 114
So it follows that really it doesn't matter whether or not the Rolex is real, perception of you wearing one would solely be based on other articles of your clothing.
post #52 of 114
I can hardly tell real from fakes, even when I look closely at them (which is rude), so I am hardly ever impressed by what a person wears on his wrist. Polished shoes and good manners are far more important.

One thing that strikes me is that almost all connoisseurs of exquisite time pieces wear them discreetly or just place them in showcase boxes or winders to collect. If you see someone intently wearing an expensive watch prominently, he's either an attention seeker, or he has got a fake watch. Also, rags to riches people tend to buy expensive blings to show that they've arrived. Rolex is a huge favorite with this group whose their social status/ cultivation don't quite match up to their wealth.
post #53 of 114
They are all made in the same factory anyway. Both the knock offs and the fakes. Its all profit then.
post #54 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
Rolex is a huge favorite with this group whose their social status/ cultivation don't quite match up to their wealth.
+100,000 For some reason the Russian and mainland Chinese nouveau riche keep coming to mind.
post #55 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
+100,000
For some reason the Russian and mainland Chinese nouveau riche keep coming to mind.

That's also becasue Rolex has a hugh marketing spend targeting exactly the same groups.
post #56 of 114
I will argue that owning a fake high end watch is better than the real one: Pros:
  • The fake has precisely the same effect on everyone but yourself if you don't disclose its authenticity.
  • You don't have to sink 6k-20k into a an object that devalues at astonishing speed and has a terrible resale value.
  • You don't have to worry about it being damaged or stolen, no stress.
  • You are free to buy another model when you want something new for a change.
  • You can own multiple watches for different occasions without being confined to one or two that already cost a lot of money.
  • You can get all the benefits of owning a high end watch while acually making a smart move with your money.
Cons:
  • You will know it's fake and some people will be bothered by that fact (copyright stance, feeling cheap, whatever)
  • Not as much reliability and shorter life span.
  • Poorly picked replica might be unusable (however it is the fault of a buyer in my opinion)
Anybody wish to add to that list? I know it's not illegal to own a replica watch at least in NA, but from browsing the forum I have not seen any more plausible cons.
post #57 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
I will argue that owning a fake high end watch is better than the real one:

Your argument only holds true for posers like yourself. Your list of pros is not seen as a good thing for those that actually appreciate timepieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
The fake has precisely the same effect on everyone but yourself if you don't disclose its authenticity.

And what effects are these? Do you think people will actually think you're cooler if you have an expensive watch? This is not a reason to get a high-end watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
You don't have to sink 6k-20k into a an object that devalues at astonishing speed and has a terrible resale value.

All luxury items depreciate rapidly, that is just their nature. One does not buy a watch as an investment.

Watches in these price range are not known to the masses. No one will even recognize if you have on a A. Lange & Sohne or Vacheron Constantine. Stick to your fake Rolex and Panerai to get all the girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
You are free to buy another model when you want something new for a change.

You can own multiple watches for different occasions without being confined to one or two that already cost a lot of money.

This is only a problem for poor wannabes like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
You can get all the benefits of owning a high end watch while acually making a smart move with your money.

It is not a smart move putting your money into a fake product when it will die early and will not give you any enjoyment. There are no benefits to owning a fake.

Maybe one day you will mature and see that you don't have to show off your fake watch to have friends. Maybe one day you will have enough money to buy a nice watch, but please don't. Please save it for someone who will appreciate it.
post #58 of 114

..


Edited by merkur - 7/27/11 at 4:42am
post #59 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitaloud View Post
I will argue that owning a fake high end watch is better than the real one:


Pros:
  • The fake has precisely the same effect on everyone but yourself if you don't disclose its authenticity.

  • You don't have to sink 6k-20k into a an object that devalues at astonishing speed and has a terrible resale value.

  • You don't have to worry about it being damaged or stolen, no stress.

  • You are free to buy another model when you want something new for a change.

  • You can own multiple watches for different occasions without being confined to one or two that already cost a lot of money.

  • You can get all the benefits of owning a high end watch while acually making a smart move with your money.

Cons:

  • You will know it's fake and some people will be bothered by that fact (copyright stance, feeling cheap, whatever)

  • Not as much reliability and shorter life span.

  • Poorly picked replica might be unusable (however it is the fault of a buyer in my opinion)

Anybody wish to add to that list? I know it's not illegal to own a replica watch at least in NA, but from browsing the forum I have not seen any more plausible cons.

Isn't the fact that you, the owner, knows its fake important anymore?
post #60 of 114
Wearing a fake watch is like telling a lie. Many people may believe you, but those who know will not. A lie is a lie... JMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › High-End Watch Knock-offs