or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › New Haven, anyone know it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Haven, anyone know it?

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
I might be going to school in New Haven and would like to more about it. I've heard that it's quite a dump. Is there any place nice a student could live without having to wear a bullet proof vest? I hear the graduate dorms are horrific, so on campus probably isn't the best option. In terms of restaurants, culture, and shopping is there anything half decent?
post #2 of 43
New Haven is much improved since the 90's. Not the world's greatest metropolis, but a small city with the benefits of a great university and proximity to NYC. Most graduate students live near science hill (the name of the neighborhood escapes me). There are a few good restaurants around Yale and some of the best pizza on the east coast is found in the Italian nieghborhood. The white clam pie at Sally's is divine.
post #3 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
New Haven is much improved since the 90's.  Not the world's greatest metropolis, but a small city with the benefits of a great university and proximity to NYC.  Most graduate students live near science hill (the name of the neighborhood escapes me).  There are  a few good restaurants around Yale and some of the best pizza on the east coast is found in the Italian nieghborhood.   The white clam pie at Sally's is divine.
how far is science hill from campus?
post #4 of 43
Science Hill isn't much of a trip from campus, though it's up a rather steep incline. It's hard to explain, its obviously part of the university but the way it's situated makes it seem far away. Most kids there ride their bikes from there dorms up there. There is some great pizza down there, try Pepe's. Popeye's for fried chicken. Union League for French, Hot tomato's for upscale Italian and there a ton of Asian restaurants around the campus. There is also some shopping. J.Press and the shoe store a window front over are great. The shoe store stocks Aldens and AEs if I remember correctly.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Science Hill isn't much of a trip from campus, though it's up a rather steep incline. It's hard to explain, its obviously part of the university but the way it's situated makes it seem far away. Most kids there ride their bikes from there dorms up there. There is some great pizza down there, try Pepe's. Popeye's for fried chicken. Union League for French, Hot tomato's for upscale Italian and there a ton of Asian restaurants around the campus. There is also some shopping. J.Press and the shoe store a window front over are great. The shoe store stocks Aldens and AEs if I remember correctly.
Shoe store went out of business, I'm afraid. The name escapes me. There's the Owl for tobacco and Del Monico Hatter too. There used to be a lot of haberdashers.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Science Hill isn't much of a trip from campus, though it's up a rather steep incline. ... Most kids there ride their bikes from there dorms up there.
And they push them back uphill at the end of the day.
post #7 of 43
Yale (I assume you are talking about Yale and not the University of New Haven) is in the middle of the city with no clear demarcation between the city and the campus.  It will have the crime issues of any other city.  That said, the crime level of New Haven is vastly overstated.  I never had a problem in my time there. New Haven's restaurants, cultural, and shopping opportunities are rather limited -- but who really cares?  Worrying about those things is like having a pair of Super Bowl tickets on the 50-yard line and worrying about the host city's amenities.  NYC is a 90-minute train ride away.  If you get into Yale, you go.  Period.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Quote:
(jpeirpont @ Mar. 13 2005,22:33) Science Hill isn't much of a trip from campus, though it's up a rather steep incline. It's hard to explain, its obviously part of the university but the way it's situated makes it seem far away. Most kids there ride their bikes from there dorms up there. There is some great pizza down there, try Pepe's. Popeye's for fried chicken. Union League for French, Hot tomato's for upscale Italian and there a ton of Asian restaurants around the campus. There is also some shopping. J.Press and the shoe store a window front over are great. The shoe store stocks Aldens and AEs if I remember correctly.
Shoe store went out of business, I'm afraid. The name escapes me. There's the Owl for tobacco and Del Monico Hatter too. There used to be a lot of haberdashers.
The shoe store lives, but under a different name. I can't remember the details, but two long-time staffers bought the business and continued the tradition. I believe it's still near the Doodle (Broadway and York?). Re neighborhood, I'm sorry to say I still can't remember the name of the residential neighborhood adjacent to science hill. Some people also live near East Rock and West Rock parks. If you have the money, there are also nice apartments and condos downtown. Don't forget the thriving theatre scene in New Haven.
post #9 of 43
New Haven has Toad's Place, which is a world famous rock club (the Stones and Springsteen, among many, many others, have played there). It also has a restaurant (the name escapes me, and I've never eaten there) which claims to have invented the hamburger. Willoughby's (sp?) coffee shops are also very good. Jeff
post #10 of 43
Haven't been there, but I'm assuming you're thinking of Louis Lunch.
post #11 of 43
Thread Starter 
Yes, I am talking about Yale. However, there are Ivys in cities, so if the town is hell, I will consider elsewhere. But, given that it doesnt sound so bad, why not?
post #12 of 43
I spent 2 years at grad school in New Haven. I enjoyed my colleages a lot, but the city is nothing special. The white pizza from Sally´s is terrific and the Big Apple is only a train ride away, however. Steve
post #13 of 43
Oops, forgot to mention that the Beneike library, with its translucent marble walls, and the British Art Museum are also good. Steve
post #14 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I spent 2 years at grad school in New Haven.  I enjoyed my colleages a lot, but the city is nothing special. The white pizza from Sally´s is terrific and the Big Apple is only a train ride away, however. Steve
is it true that the on campus Grad dorms are bad? I know that some of the undergrad places are pretty sweet, however I don't think anything will compare to the dorm I was in 1st year at Mcgill.
post #15 of 43
I spent 2 years in NH-- very happy ones, as it turned out. A very small-scale, liveable city that isn't too expensive. The corridor between Orange and Whitney is where the so-called Graduate Ghetto dwells. A lot of 3-story Victorians that have been carved into apartments. Some nice, some obviously lived in. Between there and the hockey rink is quite safe, as is the main body of the campus. Drift too far off in one direction or another and it gets scary. No need to do that, however. What program are you going for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › New Haven, anyone know it?