• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bright-Colored Sportcoats: Did I Make A Bad Buy?

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
I bought two sportcoats from STP for $60 apiece. I'm an art student and I live in Florida, if those qualities are at all helpful in determining whether these coats aren't poor purchases for me. Coat's webpage: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...t-For-Men.html Direct link to large image: http://img.sierratradingpost.com/ere...ize&redirect=0 One in rust (pictured above, if the link works as intended, but I think a better descriptor would be "coral" or "salmon") and another in a hefeweizenish yellow, which can be viewed by clicking the appropriate links on the coat's webpage. With cream colored, pale pastel colored or light-and-striped trousers (like seersucker) brown spectators, and white linen or contrasting-color silk pocket squares (e.g., yellow sportcoat gets blue PS) I thought they might be rather nice for daytime socializing and strolling. Sound sound? Am I being goofy? It's so unlike what I see in photos from you lot, but I gather that most of you are professionals of a social class one or two rungs above my own, so your needs will be rather different. I wanted something that was smart, but not too serious. Thanks for your help.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like them and will wear them, you made a good purchase.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would almost never have an opportunity to wear those coats, but I don't live in Florida. That, I think, is the reason you see so little of such things in WAYW. You'd get as little use out of my tweeds.

For $60, they strike me as perfectly fine, as long as you'll have sufficient chance to enjoy them.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. If you know how to pull them off (especially in this season) they are great. Although, if you have to ask if you made a good purchase then perhaps you wont know how to pull them off... It really all falls on you now
confused.gif

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Thanks a million for the great replies, they're much appreciated. I think that I can pull them off all right; I'm not nearly so insecure as my posts would suggest. I just wanted to make sure that they weren't costumey or "prom-y." With their ilk nowhere to be found in my style books, the SF forum or Dandyism.net, I just didn't know how they fit into the scheme of things. Now, on the basis of your replies, I can appreciate that they're perfectly acceptable - but no good out of a certain context.
smile.gif
Which I'm perfectly comfortable with. In Florida, at least so long as I've lived here, we rarely have proper seasons. We tend instead to have simply a few brisk weeks in the course of a year-long late-spring. And in any case, I love being cold. I'll pick up a few more traditional sorts of sportcoats while STP's sale is still on. There are a few Bill Blass and Lauren ("By," who else, "Ralph Lauren") that strike my fancy too. Again, thank you.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I have a salmon colored jacket that I wear from time to time. I don't wear it as much as most of my jackets, but it's fun to pull it out every now and then. Notably, when characterizing things I would wear, my friends often bring it up. Take that as you will... ha

Casey

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't buy colored sportcoats myself, but I'd buy colored macs and trenches. So basically, I think you did good for $60.

And just because it's "fall" doesn't mean you can't wear color. I don't know what it's like in Florida but today in North County San Diego, it was cold, hot, cloudy, sunny, and rainy all in one day. so you can wear whatever you want here.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casey
I probably wouldn't buy colored sportcoats myself, but I'd buy colored macs and trenches.

Sorry to be a sartorial simpleton, but what's a "mac?"

free man

Reaction score
I love bright colored clothes. As soon as I can put some stacks together, I will get a Borelli 100% linen sport coat in an odd color (I haven't decided what color yet
laugh.gif
)

cmsmith

Reaction score
I think those are great buys considering the price. I personally wouldn't get much wear out of them, but at $60 you only need to wear them a few times a season to make them worthwhile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads