• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Foreign Legion

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know about the FFL? I can't find much about them.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
they have a pretty informative website.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Anyone know about the FFL? I can't find much about them.

Marines not work out?

They haze (brutalize?) the crap out of you. Many of your colleagues will have, ahem, checkered, pasts. Imagine Marine basic, with all your orders coming at you in French, and no lawyers to protect you (as in the US military). I don't think it would be fun, in the way I don't think prison or gulag would be fun. From what I understand, English-speakers (Americans, Brits, Canadians, South Africans, Aussies, etc) are not particularly well liked.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Marines not work out?

They haze (brutalize?) the crap out of you. Many of your colleagues will have, ahem, checkered, pasts. Imagine Marine basic, with all your orders coming at you in French, and no lawyers to protect you (as in the US military). I don't think it would be fun, in the way I don't think prison or gulag would be fun. From what I understand, English-speakers (Americans, Brits, Canadians, South Africans, Aussies, etc) are not particularly well liked.

That isn't true at all anymore.

lithium180

Reaction score
I shared a couple of drinks with an FFL guy in a Parisian dive bar a few years back. He was a Romanian who had joined just to get out of his own country and ended up being assigned to patrol the rebel border in the Cote d'ivore.

He shared some really funny/absurdist stories about his experiences there but did NOT seem like a very happy guy. I think that he saw some awful things there.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
He shared some really funny/absurdist stories about his experiences there but did NOT seem like a very happy guy. I think that he saw some awful things there.

He worked in africa my friend. Be there long enough and you'll see the very worst.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been in the jungle as a tourist and my guide was ex-military and had done a jungle warfare course. Forget any notions you have about it being an enjoyable experience. They call the jungle the green hell. It's beautiful, but it's brutal, unless the thought of eating termites appeals to you. There is practically no good food or water for a human in the jungle. It suppose that it would make a man of you if you could hack it.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
You really want to kill people, don't you?

I read this the other day: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/...e/01legion.php

Not so much. It's just coming back from boot camp it feels weird to live life without any stress at all. I've talked to a few former US service members and I was told my chances of getting a waiver to return are slim to none.

Originally Posted by lithium180
I shared a couple of drinks with an FFL guy in a Parisian dive bar a few years back. He was a Romanian who had joined just to get out of his own country and ended up being assigned to patrol the rebel border in the Cote d'ivore.

I was told there's lots of psycho guys in the FFL, and that they're constantly blamed for massacres.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Not so much. It's just coming back from boot camp it feels weird to live life without any stress at all. I've talked to a few former US service members and I was told my chances of getting a waiver to return are slim to none.

I was told there's lots of psycho guys in the FFL, and that they're constantly blamed for massacres.

Probably blown out of proportion. They get the crappiest gear/hand me downs of the French military, and are stationed in the worse cesspools of the world, on the edge of civilization. In the last several decades, they've rarely engaged a "regular" fighting force (instead rebels, insurgents, etc). That's not good for anyone's mental health.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Probably blown out of proportion. They get the crappiest gear/hand me downs of the French military, and are stationed in the worse cesspools of the world, on the edge of civilization. In the last several decades, they've rarely engaged a "regular" fighting force (instead rebels, insurgents, etc). That's not good for anyone's mental health.

In the last few decades, how many armed forces have had prolonged conflicts with anything that wasn't just rebels and insurgents?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the pay isn't bad, and you can get french citizenship and an EU passport out of it. if I wasn't busy at your age, I might have done it myself.

what did you want out of the military? to see a little of the world? get tough? do some wild ****? that's what you will get out of the FFL. will you have fun, probrably not. will you meet some really crazy guys, **** some skanky whores and end up a very differnt person from your high school friends in 5 years. damn right.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've a read a couple books about it writen by former legionnaires, both of whom strongly recommended that you do not join. Apparently, their training process is particularly brutal, meant to completely break you down physically and psychologically so that they can remould you as a soldier. There's a reason they have such a fearsome reputation. Incidentally, I don't think they accept fugutives and criminals anymore, although you still get French citizenship after an honourable discharge. The real question, though, is would you look good in a kepi?
kepi-legion.jpg

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crazyquik: France sends the FFL to go fight the stupid crazy fucked up dangerous battles that they don't want to send "their own" to do, correct?
Originally Posted by globetrotter
the pay isn't bad, and you can get french citizenship and an EU passport out of it. if I wasn't busy at your age, I might have done it myself. what did you want out of the military? to see a little of the world? get tough? do some wild ****? that's what you will get out of the FFL. will you have fun, probrably not. will you meet some really crazy guys, **** some skanky whores and end up a very differnt person from your high school friends in 5 years. damn right.
Those

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
He worked in africa my friend. Be there long enough and you'll see the very worst.

Speaking from experience or your ass?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads