or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Prada MTM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prada MTM - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Prada is overpriced. Kiton is overpriced. Oxxford is reasonably priced. Oxxford is my benchmark. So much handwork, at a price not far above what a Zegna costs. I like Jill Sander suits. Prada I can do without. I just can't stand the damn fabrics. They look cheap to me. Prada is actually reasonably well constructed though -- a machine-made, full canvas suit. Too narrow in the shoulder for me, however. I don't see Prada as a business suit, which is what I have suits for. I don't wear suits to dinner or to bars.
post #17 of 35
I am willing to bet that Prada MTM suits are made by Zegna and this does not interest me.
post #18 of 35
Shy of myself, La Guy and Brian SD, the other posts I have seen in this thread are authored by the sorely ill-informed. Maybe these folks are comfortable with their opinions based on a lack of recent data; as a practice, this would make me uncomfortable. The attitude shouldn't surprise me. Living comfortably with one's delusions and prejudices seems to be a trend on many other threads on this forum. I only know what I've experienced with my own senses. If you are truly interested in exploring Prada's businesswear, go to a Prada boutique and check out the Prada businesswear. Otherwise, question the merit of spreading false or ill-informed opinions on a forum where members are, generally, trying to get at facts, not an archive of personal preferences.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
I am willing to bet that Prada MTM suits are made by Zegna and this does not interest me.
Belvest manufacturers Prada suits.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Prada is overpriced.  Kiton is overpriced.   Oxxford is reasonably priced.  Oxxford is my benchmark.  So much handwork, at a price not far above what a Zegna costs.   I like Jill Sander suits.  Prada I can do without.  I just can't stand the damn fabrics.  They look cheap to me.  Prada is actually reasonably well constructed though -- a machine-made, full canvas suit.  Too narrow in the shoulder for me, however.   I don't see Prada as a business suit, which is what I have suits for.  I don't wear suits to dinner or to bars.
Check out the recent Prada swatches, perhaps more appropriate for businesswear, although I disagree in general: my Prada suit from last fall is perfectly appropriate for businesswear, I don't go to bars wearing it, and since it is brown, it is also good for farmer.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
I think the reason that I steer clear of most higher end designer clothing is that I view such clothing as "disposable."  By disposable, I am not refering to the quality of the clothing.  As L.A. Guy rightly points out, at least in my case, I do not know enough about the quality of the Pradas, Guccis, and Dior Hommes of the world to make an informed decision as to their quality.  When I say disposable, I mean that it is my impression that most higher end designers design their clothing to reflect the fashion moment (i.e. what is trendy at that time - of course, those same designers often decide what is trendy at the time).  I do not want (nor can I afford) to plunk down $2,000 on a suit that is cut or styled in a way that will make it out of fashion in a year or two.  On the other hand, I can see spending $2,000 on a suit that will not only last for years, but be in style for years. Of course, the above assumes that my impression of higher end designers is correct.  I am happy to be proved wrong (and often am). Just my .02 cents. Regards, Jeff
Not at all. Many of Prada's suit models can be described as nothing short of classic. I hope that is not a dissappointment to you. Perhaps Etro could fit your impression.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Not only do I think Prada suits look bad, have sleeves that are too long, an unpleasant fit (particularly in the crotch-hugging trousers) and generally ugly fabrics, even if they looked great, i would not trade quality of construction for a nice silhouette.  Most people here, I would say, buy a suit not because it would look great in an artist's studio.
Prada's suits look great on me, maybe not on you. Prada's fabrics are generally beautiful. Get out of Neiman Marcus and check out the swatch book at a Prada boutique. Sleeves are perfect on me, right off the peg; if they weren't, there is a little thing called tailoring. Quality of Prada suit construction is superb. My Prada suits look and wear great in the office and while in my art studio.
post #23 of 35
I would believe it, the Prada suits do certainly look good on the models. If you're either against it or for it, you have to consider that each of these companies designs with a certain vague body type in mind. Or at least, that's how it seems to me. For someone who has that body type, it should be extremely flattering, Prada isn't a waste of money. I would say the same to everyone who's against Dior Homme. The waifs that it's designed for would look awful in Brioni or Kiton. Obviously, if you have a fuller body, broad-shoulders, etc., DH would look terrible. Anyway, Mrs. Prada certainly aims at the classical even in her womenswear. It may be all of the synthetic Prada Sport shit which is giving everyone the sour taste in their mouths.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Many of Prada's suit models can be described as nothing short of classic. I hope that is not a dissappointment to you.
A TERRIBLE disappointment. I will try to move on with my day and my life now that my world view has been shattered.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Quote:
Many of Prada's suit models can be described as nothing short of classic.  I hope that is not a dissappointment to you.
A TERRIBLE disappointment.  I will try to move on with my day and my life now that my world view has been shattered.  
OH NO. And I thought all my Prada pumps were unique and I was like waaaaaaaay out there.
post #26 of 35
When I go to NYC next time, I'll stop by the Prada boutique to check out their line. I would be very happy to see that they had Belvest made suits in great natural fabrics. All I know is, I have been underwhelmed at the selection at the Boston NM.
post #27 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Shy of myself, La Guy and Brian SD, the other posts I have seen in this thread are authored by the sorely ill-informed.  Maybe these folks are comfortable with their opinions based on a lack of recent data; as a practice, this would make me uncomfortable. The attitude shouldn't surprise me.  Living comfortably with one's delusions and prejudices seems to be a trend on many other threads on this forum. I only know what I've experienced with my own senses.  If you are truly interested in exploring Prada's businesswear, go to a Prada boutique and check out the Prada businesswear.  Otherwise, question the merit of spreading false or ill-informed opinions on a forum where members are, generally, trying to get at facts, not an archive of personal preferences.
Hey. All i did was post the info, so I'd say my post was fairly well informed. I actually like some of the prada styling, the issue for me was alway fit and price. I am broad shouldered and fairly muscular and I find Prada, Jil Sander, Dior Homme etc. fit way to tight. I was in Barney's once trying on a suit jacket much to the horror of the salesperson who was convinced I was going to bust the seams once I got it on. Honestly if I I had moved around too much I would have done exactly that or cut off the circulation to my arms. The styling of Prada appeals to some and not to others. I know that Oxxford suits are well made however I do not personally care for it. I would have loved to take the opportunity to get a Prada suit MTM, because that is the only way I'd ever find one that fit. But alas, there is always an issue and I am not in position to spend upwards of $2500 on a suit from anyone. So that rules me out.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
you have to consider that each of these companies designs with a certain vague body type in mind. Or at least, that's how it seems to me.
All rtw designers use "fit models" who conform to their idea of whom their customer would be when they are actually preparing for production. Otherwise, there would be no menswear for anyone who is not either at least 6'1" and weighs 150 lbs with a 29 true waistline, or 6'1 to 6'3" with weighing about 185 pounds, and with a 30 or 31 waistline. You need to thank those reasonably fit but not inhumanly porportioned people who you don't see on the runway for rtw clothes that actually fit. Of course, different designers use different fit models. For example, the Prada fit model is a pretty slim guy. On the other hand, I believe that the Hickey Freeman fit model must be a 5'11" guy who weighs in the vicinity of 230 lbs, with a substantial amount of that around the midsection.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
I don't see Prada as a business suit, which is what I have suits for. I don't wear suits to dinner or to bars.
Unless you're going to Nobu.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
When I go to NYC next time, I'll stop by the Prada boutique to check out their line. I would be very happy to see that they had Belvest made suits in great natural fabrics. All I know is, I have been underwhelmed at the selection at the Boston NM.
I would actually check out Barneys or Saks first. Although the Prada store is impressive, in terms of merchandise, the selection is strangely more limited than at their stockists, and often features their signature pieces rather than their business/"normal" wear. The truth is that with the exception of about half a dozen stores on Newbury Street and a handful in the greater Boston area, *all* the menswear stores around here suck. Badly. You should see the NM or Saks in SF compared to their counterparts in Boston. You would be shocked at the differences.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Prada MTM