or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rolling up sleeves
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rolling up sleeves - Page 2

post #16 of 26
I roll up until I expose my elbow.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
I'll confess, for many years I did roll the sleeves of my sports shirts, politician style. I think my mother encouraged it when I was a teen, probably from the example of my grandfather. In hindsight, I wonder why I adopted such a stupid look.
When asked, a manager I know explained his trick of appearing approchable and 'one of them' to me once. When running a meeting or making a presentation he (almost) always takes his jacket off and rolls up his sleeves. I had noticed and wondered about this enough to ask. Good trick, if you ask me but not for us, I guess... B
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Quote:
(dorian @ Mar. 09 2005,13:40) It's a cunning ploy to identify with many people who can afford nothing more than a digital watch. Kerry and Edwards both could be several Pateks, should they feel the urge. Aaaah... Democrats... politicians of the people...
Politicians of both parties do this. Usually Timex - an American company.
ATM: are Timex still made in the USA?
post #19 of 26
Quote:
It's a cunning ploy to identify with many people who can afford nothing more than a digital watch. Kerry and Edwards both could be several Pateks, should they feel the urge. Aaaah... Democrats... politicians of the people...
It's not so much a politician for the people ploy as it is a very rich WASP ploy, or rather, way-of-life.
post #20 of 26
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM,Mar. 09 2005,12:20
ATM:  are Timex still made in the USA?
I don't know if they manufacture anything in the US anymore but people recognize it as an American brand.
post #21 of 26
I always thought that the proper way to roll up sleeves was to pull the cuff up your arm and hten roll the non-cuff part of the shirt over the cuff. That's the best way I can describe it - try to picture it. You are essentially turning the bottom quarter of your sleeve inside out. This makes my sleeve end just below my elbow.
post #22 of 26
i like that method as well - it looks a lot less like you have a doughnut wrapped around your forearm. a more 'layered', folded look, because you see the cuff protruding under the roll. also you can turn down the corners of the cuff for some added 'sprezzatura'. i first ran across this method outlined in 'Cargo' magazine, maybe a year or so ago.
post #23 of 26
How far? How hard do you want to work?
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornH View Post

Quote:
I'll confess, for many years I did roll the sleeves of my sports shirts, politician style. I think my mother encouraged it when I was a teen, probably from the example of my grandfather. In hindsight, I wonder why I adopted such a stupid look.
When asked, a manager I know explained his trick of appearing approchable and 'one of them' to me once. When running a meeting or making a presentation he (almost) always takes his jacket off and rolls up his sleeves. I had noticed and wondered about this enough to ask. Good trick, if you ask me but not for us, I guess... B

 



That actually sounds like a pretty good idea to me - the idea of rolling up your sleeves whilst running a meeting. As long as everyone else can do it too. Would definitely make things flow a lot easier than if everyone was all buttoned up and uncomfortable.

post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianst62 View Post




That actually sounds like a pretty good idea to me - the idea of rolling up your sleeves whilst running a meeting. As long as everyone else can do it too. Would definitely make things flow a lot easier than if everyone was all buttoned up and uncomfortable.

Good job, replying on a 7 year old post
post #26 of 26

It did occur to me. Might start a new one, see if attitudes have changed since 2007 - ha ha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rolling up sleeves