or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Car Detailing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Car Detailing - Page 8

post #106 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
Just detailed my car and my girlfriend's. The stuff from detailersparadise.com seems pretty good. My car went from a dusty, dull gray to like new. It doesn't look as pro as AF and Suited's job but maybe I'll take a pic. The Subaru paint is pretty crappy I've been reading. It is already starting to orange peel, but for a daily driver, I think it looks nice still. Way better than before.

I need a rotary buffer. I only had the time and patience to wax the parts most susceptible to bird poop and grime.

I really wouldn't wax with a rotary. I always found that odd when people do that. If your wax is so hard to use you need a rotary I would switch waxes.
post #107 of 341
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
I really wouldn't wax with a rotary. I always found that odd when people do that. If your wax is so hard to use you need a rotary I would switch waxes.

Its not that hard of a wax, it just takes a long ass time. Is it generally not acceptable to apply with the rotary? That's the hard part, taking it off is easy.
post #108 of 341
I can apply and remove p21s faster by hand than I could with a machine.
post #109 of 341
Well what I see alot is people applying way to much wax. You only need the thinnest of coats. If you use a pure carnuba and apply it really heavy you will have a heck of a time getting it off. I find using a foam aplicator works best since it gives the most even thin coat. Hand or microfiber leaves a thicker coat. A machince uses a foam pad but it would take along time to do. People do it I just don't know why.
post #110 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
Its not that hard of a wax, it just takes a long ass time. Is it generally not acceptable to apply with the rotary? That's the hard part, taking it off is easy.

In my experience, you only want to apply wax by hand. A rotary is too powerful for this by a long shot and I find a PC (orbital) is overkill. A quality wax will be easy to apply and easy to remove after hazing.

Here are my favorite carnaubas:

1. Pinnacle Souveran (the best I have ever used and a relative bargain among pricey waxes)
2. P21S (especially great on silver cars like mine)
3. Poorboy's Natty's (fine wax)

Avoid Collinite, Meguiars, Mothers (not horrible but average). They look okay but for the same money you can do better. Zymol waxes are okay but far pricey relative to the actual quality. I have all the estate glazes even the stuff that sells for $1K+. Souveran kicks their butt.

Now, what about sealants? This is a good option if you don't want to wax every 3 months (few carnaubas last past 1.5-2 months).

Sealants I like are:

1. Zaino (the best their is and what I use on my car and my wife's car.
2. 1Z, a great line from Germany
3. Klasse AIO (acrylic sealant with nice gloss...get the old formula and don't use the SG topper which sucks, use a carnauba)

Hope this helps.
post #111 of 341
So I recently got an 05 volvo s40 t5.I wash it all the time,but want to start using more products,like waxes and sealants.Can you guys recommend me some good products to use?My car is silver.I want cleaners/sealers for inside and out.
post #112 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
So I recently got an 05 volvo s40 t5.I wash it all the time,but want to start using more products,like waxes and sealants.Can you guys recommend me some good products to use?My car is silver.I want cleaners/sealers for inside and out.
Answered above but my personal recommendation is Zaino Z-2 Pro which is terrific on silver Volvos. www.zainostore.com
post #113 of 341
I know this probably sounds like a dumb question,but do you use a sealer and then a wax?Also is the p21s concours wax paste ok,or is the 100% better?I have a few other questions,thanks in advance.

-As far as clay goes,are they all equal or is there a recommended brand?
-Good product to clean/protects vinyl dash?
-Best decently priced wash?
post #114 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
I know this probably sounds like a dumb question,but do you use a sealer and then a wax?Also is the p21s concours wax paste ok,or is the 100% better?I have a few other questions,thanks in advance.

-As far as clay goes,are they all equal or is there a recommended brand?
-Good product to clean/protects vinyl dash?
-Best decently priced wash?

1. Either sealant or carnauba wax. I like sealants best since they last longer and nowadays look as good (provided a good brand/product).

2. I like the Zaino clay but most work well with the exception imho of Pinnacle.

3. I use the best only which would be 303 Aerospace Protectant, usually found at ACE Hardware. The new ArmorAll is fine but 303 is better protecting in my testing.

4. If you mean car soap, I prefer Zaino Z-7 or P21S. The Mothers soaps are also good as is Duragloss.
post #115 of 341
^Thanks for all of your help,do you recommend the zaino z-8 spray or is there something else?
post #116 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
^Thanks for all of your help,do you recommend the zaino z-8 spray or is there something else?

Highly recommend Z-8. A sort of miracle product as it is a true spray sealant so after you put Z-2Pro on and wash the car the next time, Z-8 will restore the gloss that was present right after Z-2 Pro was applied.
post #117 of 341
Alright thanks again.I think I have narrowed it down to two "starter kits"tell me which you would get.

1)
Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
\tZ-8\tZ-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal
\tZ-7\tZ-7 Show Car Wash
\tZ-18\tZ-18 ClayBar

$60ish total


2) http://www.properautocare.com/p221detkit.html about the same price
post #118 of 341
Both excellent choices but the #1 option with Zaino performs much better all around. When I got into detailing I became friends with a local expert and we tested several dozen carnaubas and sealants over two years and Zaino performed the best. Invest in some good microfiber as well and put the Zaino on in very thin coats. You don't need more than 2 coats in my experience. Carnaubas only last 4-8 weeks in hot summer months, Zaino will last 6 months if applied right. And the Z-8 spray will keep the nice gloss of it up at each wash.
post #119 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan View Post
Invest in some good microfiber.
Are they all the same or are there certain kinds to buy,over another.What about washing too,microfiber sponge or those wool type mitts? I ask because I read on the Zaino site,that you should only use 100% white cotton towels.
post #120 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Are they all the same or are there certain kinds to buy,over another.What about washing too,microfiber sponge or those wool type mitts?

I ask because I read on the Zaino site,that you should only use 100% white cotton towels.

Sal has changed his mind on fiber so ignore the cotton towels tip. I use PakShak microfiber which is made in Asia like much of this but in the best factories. www.pakshak.com

I would buy 2 UltraSmooth towels for the Z-8 and 2 Ultra-Edgeless for removing the Z-2 Pro sealant. http://www.pakshak.com/ultra-edgeles...l-16x16-1.html

Also get a waffle weave towel for drying the car.

They are on sale fortunately.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Car Detailing