or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Going childless in the U.S.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going childless in the U.S. - Page 8

post #106 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL72 View Post
At any rate, I have to go to my son's parent-teacher meeting so gotta run...

Yet another thing in favor of not having any kids.
post #107 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaimen View Post
I can think of no examples where a dwindling, ageing population was a net benefit to society. Unless we can develope effective caretaker robot whores, old people will require young people to take care of them.

This does not address my point.
post #108 of 175
This thread is reminding me of my reply to born against Xtians. As I always tell them, excuse me for finding my first birth good enough to do me.
post #109 of 175
Thread Starter 
Why do people think the "It's selfish to abstain from having kids!" argument holds water? Is it because modern man doesn't know how to frame a logical argument? I wonder what percentage of the U.S. population has taken a philosophy class.
post #110 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Why do people think the "It's selfish to abstain from having kids!" argument holds water? Is it because modern man doesn't know how to frame a logical argument?

I wonder what percentage of the U.S. population has taken a philosophy class.

You think that having taking a philosophy class endows one with the capability of employing logic?
post #111 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
You think that having taking a philosophy class endows one with the capability of employing logic?
I logically want to break your legs.
post #112 of 175
i think the inherent problem is applying too much logic to the decision to have children. sure you shouldn't go poppin out 30 of them if ur on welfare, but i would say that anyone who is a member of a high end mens fashion forum would well and truly have the means. i think people just use the money issue as an excuse, even to themselves (cue angry rant from someone who bangs on about getting ties at thrift stores etc etc).
post #113 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase12 View Post
i think the inherent problem is applying too much logic to the decision to have children. sure you shouldn't go poppin out 30 of them if ur on welfare, but i would say that anyone who is a member of a high end mens fashion forum would well and truly have the means. i think people just use the money issue as an excuse, even to themselves (bring on the flames).

This is not true. Connemara, regardless of how he acts, will never make enough money to live comfortably on, let alone raise somebody else on. He's just here to troll us all.
post #114 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
This does not address my point.

Well, Im back and already have forgotten your point. Something about how people who have kids tend to take more than they contribute to society (please correct me if Im off base). Im saying this cant be true in the longterm. Far more important than any economic efficiency to a society is the simple idea that people stop contributing to that society once they are dead. Future generations will always trump the rock solid balance sheets of generations past and we all arrive too soon at that point where, no matter our past glory or place in the hierarchy, are merely shrunken old men and woman laying delirious in a bed crapping themselves.
post #115 of 175
In this day in age, it shouldn't really matter whether you want kids or not. It's a matter of a lifestyle choice. Having children is not for everyone, and those who know that they can't handle children are better of without it. Have you heard about the growing trend of some men who are so sure they don't want children that they are getting vasectomies? I thank that trend is interesting.
post #116 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
And this is what elicits a strong FUCK YOU from me. How dare you belittle me like this? I am not an idiot. I know what comes with parenthood (the good and the bad). I'm both intelligent and adult enough to make this choice for myself. By the same logic as yours I can tell you that you don't know what you're missing by not staying childless.

How do you not see that this attitude is condescending and rude?

b

You can't say you know what it's like. That's like a priest saying he knows what it's like to be married. That being said I'm 20 and not sure if I want kids. I do know that although my parents have had a tough time raising me and my two younger brothers they are very proud of us now that we are coming around and making something of ourselves. I think life with just one person would get lonely. That's just me though.

Even if you are one of a million I don't think you will even begin to understand what it feels like to be responsible for another life. Whether that sucks or not is not for me to decide or pass judgement.
post #117 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Why do people think the "It's selfish to abstain from having kids!" argument holds water?
i know you're trolling here, but i will explain anyway. selfish 1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others as in, what shall i do with the next ten years of my life? devote it to ME or devote it to raising two babies? what should i do with my salary? spend it on ME or spend it on children? of course you can be selfless and not have kids. but be real: lots of single people with no kids do not give heavily to charity or devote forty hours a week, over and above their jobs, to volunteer work. people without kids are more self-centered. any parent will tell you that kids force you to give up a lot of your care for yourself. sure it's jealousy talking, and sure the non-breeders can scoff at the idea that spending all your dough on baby clothes and college tuition is actually spending money selfishly.
post #118 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
of course you can be selfless and not have kids. but be real: lots of single people with no kids do not give heavily to charity or devote forty hours a week, over and above their jobs, to volunteer work. people without kids are more self-centered. any parent will tell you that kids force you to give up a lot of your care for yourself. that's jealousy talking, for sure, and there is some truth to it as well.
And you have hard data for this? I'd love to see it.
post #119 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothkid View Post
In this day in age, it shouldn't really matter whether you want kids or not. It's a matter of a lifestyle choice. Having children is not for everyone, and those who know that they can't handle children are better of without it. Have you heard about the growing trend of some men who are so sure they don't want children that they are getting vasectomies? I thank that trend is interesting.
Oh fuck, here we go again... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=vasectomy
post #120 of 175
Oh and what else are women good for? Not having children is like taking the auto jobs out of Detroit.

I'm just kidding...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Going childless in the U.S.