or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Denim 101 for Men's Clothing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing - Page 97

post #1441 of 1461
I've been slowly wearing out my extensive collection of LVC 1947's that I pieced together in the early 2000's. With numerous repairs, they are cool looking but no longer quite so "smart" (as my British wife would say) to pair with tailored wear. I've been on the hunt lately for something that doesn't have a full, heritage style leg yet isn't skinny. I'm finding that most brands focus on a slim straight. They look great, but don't fit my manly thighs. I like a slight taper to the leg.

So far I have tried and like:

RRL Straights one wash (not low straights or slim straights) They seem to have a very slight taper yet enough room in the thigh
A model of the new Levis Made & Crafted (forget which one but not the slim cut) they too have a slight taper buy some room in the thigh.

Any other suggestions?

I need denim that is 36" inseam raw or 34+ washed and a true 35" waist (often a 33 or 34 in most jeans)

Camillo Love at Red Cotton (He hand cuts and sews them himself in Oakland) is working on a new cut that might work for me, without rivets on the back pockets and crotch for a more modern look. Those might do it for me but I would like to find a RTW that works for me and get a few pairs into rotation.
post #1442 of 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

I've been slowly wearing out my extensive collection of LVC 1947's that I pieced together in the early 2000's. With numerous repairs, they are cool looking but no longer quite so "smart" (as my British wife would say) to pair with tailored wear. I've been on the hunt lately for something that doesn't have a full, heritage style leg yet isn't skinny. I'm finding that most brands focus on a slim straight. They look great, but don't fit my manly thighs. I like a slight taper to the leg.

So far I have tried and like:

RRL Straights one wash (not low straights or slim straights) They seem to have a very slight taper yet enough room in the thigh
A model of the new Levis Made & Crafted (forget which one but not the slim cut) they too have a slight taper buy some room in the thigh.

Any other suggestions?

I need denim that is 36" inseam raw or 34+ washed and a true 35" waist (often a 33 or 34 in most jeans)

Camillo Love at Red Cotton (He hand cuts and sews them himself in Oakland) is working on a new cut that might work for me, without rivets on the back pockets and crotch for a more modern look. Those might do it for me but I would like to find a RTW that works for me and get a few pairs into rotation.

Maybe try J Crew? They tend to have a variety of fits and very extensive size ranges.
post #1443 of 1461
I ordered a pair of Big Johns from NMWA. Now what?

In the past I've worn raw denim from APC, Nudie, et al. as well as washed denim from brands like AG, but I haven't bought new denim in a few years. Anything particular I need to know or do with Big Johns (special care in washing, drying, controlling shrinkage, etc.)?
post #1444 of 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp120 View Post

I ordered a pair of Big Johns from NMWA. Now what?

In the past I've worn raw denim from APC, Nudie, et al. as well as washed denim from brands like AG, but I haven't bought new denim in a few years. Anything particular I need to know or do with Big Johns (special care in washing, drying, controlling shrinkage, etc.)?

 

This should explain things:

 

post #1445 of 1461

I miss the way the Levis 501 20 years ago made me feel, however when i try on a pair today i just dont get that same feeling.

post #1446 of 1461
Try Levis LVC 1947 501 XX. I just bought a pair with one wash from the 2014 SS collection. Nice fit and cut.
post #1447 of 1461

Thanks, i will give it a shot, but, i feel that the image has changed, I don't get the full feeling,,, you know fit and brand proud'ness ..

post #1448 of 1461
Amerika, fuk yeah ? is that the feeling that's gone?
post #1449 of 1461
I just bought a pair of Levis LVC 1962 pre shrunk (sanforized) denim 551 Zx. Nice, neat tapered look but not a skinny slim. This was the first real tapered levis style. I'd say this is very CM.
post #1450 of 1461
Subscribed
post #1451 of 1461
Okay, I just got a pair of Big John jeans from NMWA. They are freaking beautiful, but I could use some guidance on fit.

With sanforized denim, how much should I expect them to stretch with wear? The jeans fit great aside from being pretty snug across the tops of my thighs and crotch. It's 15oz denim, so I know some of that discomfort will go away as they break in, but I'm thinking I'll need a bit of stretch for them to really fit well. Problem is, if I size up, I'm afraid they won't fit everywhere else.

Can anyone give me some thoughts?
post #1452 of 1461
If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. (Or to the right thread for this)

I've been on the hunt for the perfect pair of jeans for way too long.

Wants:
-slim fitting ~7.5" leg opening
- raw selvedge
- CLASSIC / HIGH rise, this has been the biggest issue

I've tried Gustin's slim fit, Raleigh Jones, left field Chelsea and various other less respected makers. Like I said the rise is usually the issue.

Suggestions would be appreciated!
post #1453 of 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds13 View Post

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. (Or to the right thread for this)

I've been on the hunt for the perfect pair of jeans for way too long.

Wants:
-slim fitting ~7.5" leg opening
- raw selvedge
- CLASSIC / HIGH rise, this has been the biggest issue

I've tried Gustin's slim fit, Raleigh Jones, left field Chelsea and various other less respected makers. Like I said the rise is usually the issue.

Suggestions would be appreciated!


If you have a pair you like, I would suggest sending them to forum affiliate Luxire to copy, and tweak the rise to your liking. Their selvedge is on the lighter side at 14oz, but they do CMT as well. They are supposed to be adding more options. My only caveats are to be very specific (or else you could wind up with some odd stylistic choices) and do not try to create a pair from measurements alone (see thread for all sorts of weird bum issues).

post #1454 of 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds13 View Post

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. (Or to the right thread for this)

I've been on the hunt for the perfect pair of jeans for way too long.

Wants:
-slim fitting ~7.5" leg opening
- raw selvedge
- CLASSIC / HIGH rise, this has been the biggest issue

I've tried Gustin's slim fit, Raleigh Jones, left field Chelsea and various other less respected makers. Like I said the rise is usually the issue.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Have you tried Naked & Famous skinny guy?

The rise isn't going to be as high as Sugar Canes but it's respectable.
post #1455 of 1461
I could use some advice on a recent purchase. I just got a Levi's slim fit trucker jacket, and I'm a little concerned about the fit. Currently, it fits fine, but I've been making a lot of gym progress, and I'm worried it won't fit on about 6 months. Do the Levis jackets tend to stretch any, specifically around the shoulder area?

If this is the wrong thread for this, let me know BTW.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Denim 101 for Men's Clothing