or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Denim 101 for Men's Clothing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing - Page 84

post #1246 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

I will now attempt not to dirty my $200 jeans as I climb carefully off of the soapbox.
laugh.gif

I really stopped looking at r&b's denim over the last season or two because it typically was all the same, although I do kick myself over not buying a pair of grey jeans that were on sale at Barney's in December.

And my point was that I didn't like the streaky denim because it was too causal while the rest of my fit was more formal.

It's not hard to switch in jeans in certain situations with a sportcoat but it is still an oxymoron to call them "dressy" for the "socially unacceptable" example you stated. It also goes entirely against the invention and current-day use of jeans themselves as they were never intended for formal situations. I think I'd give in to your point the day that wifebeaters also achieve "dressy" status.
post #1247 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

Thanks for the words. It's good to know I'm having a positive effect and hopefully changing some minds (or unfortunately opening some wallets.)

The good news is that those jeans have a fairly standard repro fit; the bad news is that just about every single denim brand does a repro fit.

You've got a pretty good collection going, is there anything you feel like you'd want to try? Maybe get into a heavier-ounce pair from Iron Heart? Get into something American from Glory/Baldwin/Raleigh/etc?

You could get into Studio D'Artisan, Eternal, Denime, etc. but while they're different companies, I tend to put them in a similar boat unless they have a special model because the denim and cuts are fairly similar.

Or if you wanted to get away from that scene you could try RRL's Straight Fit.

Thanks for the recs.

I also bought a pair of Civilinaire denim recently. Very nice for the price ($200, Japanese selvedge)
post #1248 of 1451
Did you swing by the shop by any chance? What would you compare the denim to?

I'm curious how it compares to Jean Shop because it's from the same guys.

And if you're in LA, you should definitely swing by the RRL store on Melrose and check out the Straight Fits. They also made some dungaree pairs (which are now up on ebay) but I doubt they carry them any more. Pretty cool Wrangler-inspired stuff.
post #1249 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

Did you swing by the shop by any chance? What would you compare the denim to?

I'm curious how it compares to Jean Shop because it's from the same guys.

And if you're in LA, you should definitely swing by the RRL store on Melrose and check out the Straight Fits. They also made some dungaree pairs (which are now up on ebay) but I doubt they carry them any more. Pretty cool Wrangler-inspired stuff.

I've never tried Jean Shop denim. I'll try to post pictures later. One unique gimmick is the yellow thread on the self edge. They are one washes, and the denim seems nice enough. (I don't have your broad knowledge base so I can't tell you much about the properties)
post #1250 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

laugh.gif

I really stopped looking at r&b's denim over the last season or two because it typically was all the same, although I do kick myself over not buying a pair of grey jeans that were on sale at Barney's in December.

And my point was that I didn't like the streaky denim because it was too causal while the rest of my fit was more formal.

It's not hard to switch in jeans in certain situations with a sportcoat but it is still an oxymoron to call them "dressy" for the "socially unacceptable" example you stated. It also goes entirely against the invention and current-day use of jeans themselves as they were never intended for formal situations. I think I'd give in to your point the day that wifebeaters also achieve "dressy" status.

Fair enough, nothing above I would really disagree with. I will now be starting a thread "Is it inauthentic to wear a wifebeater for anything other than smacking a bitch?" Perhaps that belongs in SW&D, though?
post #1251 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post


Fair enough, nothing above I would really disagree with. I will now be starting a thread "Is it inauthentic to wear a wifebeater for anything other than smacking a bitch?" Perhaps that belongs in SW&D, though?

The MC equivalent is "is it inauthentic to wear seersucker for anything other than sucking a seer".
post #1252 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post


Fair enough, nothing above I would really disagree with. I will now be starting a thread "Is it inauthentic to wear a wifebeater for anything other than smacking a bitch?" Perhaps that belongs in SW&D, though?

Something tells me you and I will get along just fine here.
post #1253 of 1451
Can anyone recommend a pair of mid to slightly high rise, straight legs that come with a 36in inseam for < 200?
post #1254 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Can anyone recommend a pair of mid to slightly high rise, straight legs that come with a 36in inseam for < 200?

36 inseam is the hard part, otherwise the APC Original Standards would be ideal. Same cut as the new standard except higher rise. They end up around 34 inseam after washing though.
post #1255 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Can anyone recommend a pair of mid to slightly high rise, straight legs that come with a 36in inseam for < 200?

Not to be snarky, but what's a "slightly high rise" to you? It's a fairly vague description.
post #1256 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

Can anyone recommend a pair of mid to slightly high rise, straight legs that come with a 36in inseam for < 200?

Ande Whall Cougar, if and when he gets his shop running again.
post #1257 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post


Not to be snarky, but what's a "slightly high rise" to you? It's a fairly vague description.

No, that's fair. I'm looking for ~10 - 11.5 in rise.
post #1258 of 1451
Based on... a xx waist ?

Why I asked was I think 11" as high on a 32. This is where personal taste comes in.
post #1259 of 1451
33 or 34W
post #1260 of 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

33 or 34W

They're technically tapered, so the fit is more slim than regular, but it shouldn't be anything too dramatic:
http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bridge3.dll?VBPROG=\bin\shop.prodt.detail&SKU=7992002

or

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=438


You can also check out the rest of the list here: http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/157881/non-apc-sub-200-raw-selvage-denim-options/0_50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Denim 101 for Men's Clothing