• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abu Dhabi Airport

flashkobalt

Reaction score
Writing this from the airport...and boy does it suck...

No real reason for the post other than to whine about long stopovers....

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
The tile work is very pretty though.

And a few years ago I managed to score a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed there for 14.50 AED, so it is not all bad.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have flown through Dubai. DXB Airport is impressive.

dubaiairport.jpg

flashkobalt

Reaction score
I have flown through Dubai a couple of times...and seeing that photo makes me wonder if sitting in Abu dhabi for 11 hours is worth the $550 or so I saved :p

PS: GIT for 14AED...must have been clerk error no ?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashkobalt
PS: GIT for 14AED...must have been clerk error no ?

Perhaps, but it was a mass error because they were all tagged at that price.

But it wasn't GIT. It was Creed's similar-sounding Green Valley. My bad.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Should have flown through Dubai. DXB Airport is impressive.

dubaiairport.jpg

That looks pretty miserable

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashkobalt
Writing this from the airport...and boy does it suck...

No real reason for the post other than to whine about long stopovers....

Ahh, the 2 story green doughnut! Was stuck there for 2+ days last fall. The thin veneer of progress in the AD peeled like a 3rd hand face mask.

Attempting to get another flight, I was carrying a year old, and was pushed by some arab dude. I politely stated, that there are kids, so be careful. He was less than polite in his reaction, starting with gruff and dismissive and getting worse. He raised his voice and was blurting stuff in arabic. However, peoples tempers were on edge after having to put up with 2 days of utter incompetence. The reaction of the crowd to his anger was pretty clear. Every one had their passports and tickets in hand. The ones carrying SE Asain passports, sort of backed off. In contrast, the people of SE asian ethnicity, carrying US or Canadian or UK passports, pretty much looked like a mob about to tear him apart. I was in the midst, and shouting started. In a few moments, the demeanor of the arab changed from disdainful anger to fear to a fake warm smile and he started calling everyone around him "Brother". What a joke!!!

-

bluser

Reaction score
I used to live in the UAE, and let me tell you... The "locals" attitude towards people of other cultures/ethnicities/religions is sad... The level of arrogance is of the charts!

aguydude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluser
I used to live in the UAE, and let me tell you... The "locals" attitude towards people of other cultures/ethnicities/religions is sad... The level of arrogance is of the charts!

In what ways?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aguydude
In what ways?
Locals view foreigners as ****. They view them as servants and slaves flocking to their country to work for them and get a taste of their wealth who should be greatful for even being allowed to work for minimum wage. Here's what I've been able to gather so far of their social hierarchy (from highest valued people to lowest valued) --Upper Class--- Emirate Arabs British Other EU citizens ---Lower-Middle Class--- Non-Emirate Arabs (e.g. Lebanese) Former Soviet country citizens (e.g. Uzbek's) Pakistani People* ---Lower Class--- Indians (South Indians are considered the lowest) Phillipino's * I'm told by an Indian who used to live there that Pakistani's are given slightly more status in society for some reason. I told him I never encountered any Pakistani's in my travels, even though I always asked the people at the stores, hotels, taxi drivers, etc. if they were Pakistani. He responded that Indians get those types of jobs, Pakistani's usually get office jobs. Other people have also told me that Pakistani's usually aren't brought in for jobs like manual labour, bellhops, etc because they tend to be more opinionated on how to do everything. They'll do what they're told, but not before arguing, whereas Indians and Phillipinos tend to be more submissive. Perhaps someone can elaborate, expand, or clarify?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

* I'm told by an Indian who used to live there that Pakistani's are given slightly more status in society for some reason. I told him I never encountered any Pakistani's in my travels, even though I always asked the people at the stores, hotels, taxi drivers, etc. if they were Pakistani. He responded that Indians get those types of jobs, Pakistani's usually get office jobs. Other people have also told me that Pakistani's usually aren't brought in for jobs like manual labour, bellhops, etc because they tend to be more opinionated on how to do everything. They'll do what they're told, but not before arguing, whereas Indians and Phillipinos tend to be more submissive.

Perhaps someone can elaborate, expand, or clarify?

Pakistani = Muslim

Indian = not Muslim. More often than not, anyway.

Just a guess.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What about the Chinese?
I don't think there any Chinese workers there (at least I don't remember seeing any.) If people in China are looking for oppurtunities for work abroad, they have plenty in the Pacific Rim. Also, it doesn't help their marketability that they don't all speak English. Indians, Pakistani's and Bengali's all learn English in school which is a leftover from British rule.
Originally Posted by Concordia
Pakistani = Muslim Indian = not Muslim. More often than not, anyway. Just a guess.
Well, the guy I spoke to was Indian Muslim, but he still was on a lower rung of society than Pakistani's. But he said it might have something to do, at least in part, with Pakistan being a Muslim country. Also, apparently some rich Arabs own homes in Pakistan because it's the closest place they can go for hunting. Also, does anyone know where Africans would fit in this hierachy? I'm pretty sure it's low, just not sure how low.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Locals view foreigners as ****. They view them as servants and slaves flocking to their country to work for them and get a taste of their wealth who should be greatful for even being allowed to work for minimum wage.

Here's what I've been able to gather so far of their social hierarchy (from highest valued people to lowest valued)

--Upper Class---
Emirate Arabs
British
Other EU citizens

What about Americans ?!?!?!!?!?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads